1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 8:46 AM by johnrellis

lr4 / mac. When I shift NEF file creation time 1 hr,  the time doesn't change  in the folder. Will they still sequence properly with other files that have the proper time?

klitho Level 1

I forgot to adjust for the end of daylight savings time. I'm wondering if the time in the metadata has changed but not file as it appears in the original folder. These files will be included with files from another Photographer and processed in PS6. Thanks.

• 1. Re: lr4 / mac. When I shift NEF file creation time 1 hr,  the time doesn't change  in the folder. Will they still sequence properly with other files that have the proper time?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

When I shift NEF file creation time 1 hr,  the time doesn't change  in the folder.

There are many times associated with photos, so it's important to be precise.  Are you saying that when you apply LR's Metadata > Edit Capture Time to shift the capture time of photos, the creation or last-modified dates displayed by the Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer aren't changing?

Cameras record capture time in the photo metadata inside the photo file. This is sometimes referred to as EXIF DateTimeOriginal.  This is what the Edit Capture Time command changes.

The Mac and Windows operating system (and the firmware inside cameras) also record the date/times when any kind of file, not just a photo, is created and modified.  In general, you shouldn't rely on these, since many programs, including LR, do not preserve them as you manipulate photos.  This is frustrating to many long-time Mac users, who have grown accustomed to relying on file creation dates, but the hard fact is that too many Mac programs and utilities do not preserve creation dates. The photo industry has defined photo metadata precisely to make sure that your photo dates are properly preserved.

Thus, as long as what you see in LR's metadata panel looks correct, then anyone else using photo-aware tools will also see those same dates.