3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Can´t connect DV-cam

perb89131039

I have connected my DV-cam to a Firewire-card. Everything works when I´m using Camtasia Studio, but I rather work with Premiere Elements. The problem is that the program can´t find the device.

Choosed "Add media from video camcorder"

PAL / DV

Camcorder Sony VX2000 E

Firewirecard: Delock PCI Card 3 x external

Any idea?

• 1. Re: Can´t connect DV-cam
          A.T. Romano Level 7

perb

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and what computer operating system is involved?

If you have Premiere Elements 13/13.1 or 14, please note that the DV and HDV data capture firewire to Premiere Elements Capture Window has been removed from these versions. The last version of Premiere Elements that has this feature is 12/12.1. See Adobe document on the situation and its suggested workarounds.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

If you are a Windows user, then you could consider capturing firewire into another program and then importing the captures into the Premiere Elements project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folder.

example

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit   HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Please consider and give more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can´t connect DV-cam
            perb89131039 Level 1

Thank´s a lot!

This is version 14, so there I have the answer .....

Then I have to find a program where I can save the captured file as an avi-file ....

Camtasia is qute good, but can only save in Wmv-format.

• 3. Re: Can´t connect DV-cam
              A.T. Romano Level 7

perb

Thanks for the follow up.

Please check out the WinDV firewire as one possiblity for your avi captures.

Whatever the capture firewire program for the .avi captures, determine if the capture is going to be DV AVI type 1 or type 2.

Premiere Elements supports DV AVI type 2.

There is a free utility named DV Date that can convert DV AVI type 1 into 2.

Homepage of DVdate

And if you have a DV AVI and want to check whether it is type 1 or 2, one way is to take the file into the free codec utility named GSpot and note what the type is in the Container section of the readout for the file.

Super Quick Start

Best wishes

ATR