3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2006 8:46 AM by ntsiii

Newbie Here in need of help

tanmayarunnavghare
      Hi guys

I am new to flex2 . I need to know if flex2 is possible to read a directory structure within the project workspace because I need to read the directory structure and create xml file representing the same, so that every time i don't need to read the directories bu rather will read the xml file instead.
        • 1. Re: Newbie Here in need of help
          ntsiii Level 3
          Are you talking about on the client? If so, the Flash Player security will prevent almost all access to client resources, including the File system.

Tracy
          • 2. Re: Newbie Here in need of help
            tanmayarunnavghare Level 1
            Yes I know flash cannot gain access to clients file system, what if the directory structure is part of the project. what I mean to say is I want to create a gallery application which is completely dynamic(ie it displays images from the asset folders included in the project) and the whole application should not be based on any server technology. That's why I want to use xml. so by just changing the xml file the application should refelect the changes. Hence the gallery images are contained in the "projects" folder which inturn may contain number of projects. So that's why I wanted to know if it was possible in flex.
            • 3. Re: Newbie Here in need of help
              ntsiii Level 3
              "the whole application should not be based on any server technology"

That will be a problem. Flex is a client-side presentation technology, just like HTML. The data and business logic must be on the server, thus requiring a server-side technology.

But I am not sure you are asking the correct question, and you are not being clear on your use of terms. For example your use of "directory structure", "project", "asset folders included in the project", "use xml", etc is not at all clear in context.

Actually, your goal still is not clear at all.

Maybe you can explain again.

Tracy