10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 8:35 AM by johnrellis

How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?

newmikeman Level 1

I'm importing image files that contain IPTC location data (Country, State, City, Sublocation), as well as Copyright. After import the Metadata panel shows these fields as blank/empty whatever I select for "Metadata Set". The images were imported using preset "None".

Is there an option somewhere that enables import of these values?

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

LR normally imports that IPTC location fields. If you're sure that the metadata import preset was set to None, then as a next troubleshooting step, upload a sample image to Dropbox or similar and post the link here.  We can take a look at what might be going wrong.

• 2. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?
            newmikeman Level 1

Thanks for the prompt reply John. here's a link to a Google Drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2n5I6N_MB5tSGptNnZlZlVFRlk&usp=sharing

I'm fairly sure that this data was visible with LR 6.1 but a couple of days ago I took the latest upgrade and am now on 6.2.1.

regards

Mike

• 3. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?
              newmikeman Level 1

I've uninstalled LR 6.2.1 and installed 6.0. Same problem, can't see any location metadata values.

I upgraded to v6.1 and then 6.1.1. Still can't see any location metadata values. My recollection of 6.1 must be wrong.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I'm in the Library module with some thumbnails in the grid view, one of which is selected. On the right hand side of the screen I have the Metadata group open, with Metadata Set as Location.

Preset says None, Filename and Folder show the correct values. Metadata status says Up to date. below that Sublocation, City, State/Province, Country, GPS, Altitude, Direction, Title, Caption, etc are all blank.

If I go Menu, Metadata, Copy Metadata all the fields are empty except for Headline.

Keywording and Keyword List show the right values.

Other software (Exiftool, ACDSee, Daminion) can see the same Headline value along with values for Sublocation, City, State/Province, Country and more - yes, in the exact same image files in the exact same folder.

I think either I'm looking in the wrong place in Lightroom or I've got one of the Preferences or options wrong. Please Help

I guess I'll go back up to version 6.2.1.

• 4. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Maybe the info is contained in other software but not embedded in the files. There is no metadata in the Google Drive images you uploaded.

• 5. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?
                  newmikeman Level 1

Thanks but please look at this output from Exiftool for each of the 2 files I had uploaded to Google Drive. I downloaded them from Google Drive to ensure that they are the ones you would have received and then opened each with Exiftool. You should see the values for City, Province-State and Country in the IPTC section. This is the stuff that Lightroom seems to be ignoring. (Please excuse the screen snips but I couldn't find a way of just getting text).

ET1876.PNG

and

ET1886.PNG

Is it perhaps that LR ignores IPTC and only looks at XMP data in JPG files? I think this may be a bug.

Thanks, Mike

• 6. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?

I see the same thing: Exiftool shows IPTC fields but no XMP or EXIF fields.  My LR CC 2015.1.1 imports IPTC:Headline and IPTC:Keywords, but not IPTC:CopyrightNotice or the IPTC location fields.  Further, though LR shows the keywords in the Keywording panel, the keywords don't show up under the Keyword List panel.

There's definitely a bug somewhere, in LR or in the file format itself.  I'll investigate further.

• 7. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?

What software tools modified these two files? 

There is clearly something non-traditional in the layout of the IPTC fields -- whether it is non-conforming with the IPTC standards or just an atypical but conforming layout, I haven't determined yet (I haven't spent much time with the low-level IPTC standard in the past).

• 8. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?

After a fair amount of archaeology, I believe that your two files do not strictly conform with the de facto standards for IPTC data and that the “finger of blame” should point to the tool that was used to add the IPTC metadata to the files.

Using “exiftool –v” on the first file shows this for the IPTC metadata:

JPEG APP13 (116 bytes):
                          + [Photoshop directory, 300 bytes]
                          | IPTCData (SubDirectory) -->
                          | + [IPTC directory, 186 bytes]
                          | | CurrentIPTCDigest = 6.j.K...0.8p.,G
                          | | -- IPTCApplication record --
                          | | ObjectName = Harbour
                          | | Keywords = Places|UK|Cornwall|Mylor Bridge
                          | | Keywords = Trips|Family Trip|Grand Tour Feb 2008
                          | | DateCreated = 20080219
                          | | City = Mylor Bridge
                          | | Province-State = Cornwall
                          | | Country-PrimaryLocationName = UK
                          | | CopyrightNotice = ..2008 Michael Newman All rights reserved
                          | IPTCData (SubDirectory) -->
                          | + [IPTC directory, 90 bytes]
                          | | -- IPTCApplication record --
                          | | Keywords = Places|UK|Cornwall|Mylor Bridge
                          | | Keywords = Trips|Family Trip|Grand Tour Feb 2008
                          | | Headline = Harbour

Note that there are two IPTC Application Records (lines 6 and 17), with Keywords appearing in both, but the other fields (e.g. CopyrightNotice) appearing only in one.  LR (and Adobe Bridge) ignore the first record and only read the second.  Exiftool merges the two records.

I wasn’t able to find a formal industry standard defining how IPTC metadata is embedded in JPEGs, but it appears that old versions of Adobe Photoshop defined a de facto standard in which there is just one application record stored within the APP13 segment.  Thus, a file containing two application records does not conform to that standard, and the behavior of applications presented with such a file is not strictly defined.

Note also that application records are missing the field “ApplicationRecordVersion = 4”, required by the formal IPTC industry standard.  As a practical matter, this probably doesn't matter, since programs don't seem to check for its presence, but it does indicate a lack of attention to the standard by the tool that added the IPTC metadata.

What software tool added the IPTC metadata to the files?

You can merge the two IPTC application records into one by using this Exiftool command line:

exiftool -iptc:all= -tagsfromfile @ -iptc:all a.jpg

With files that contain multiple IPTC application records, Exiftool will produce this warning:

Warning: [minor] Not recreating duplicate IPTC in Photoshop - a.jpg

which you can ignore.  Once you’ve done the merge, you can import the file into LR and it will read all of the IPTC fields.  If the file is already in LR, you can do Metadata > Read Metadata From File (but beware that this will discard any edits you’ve made).

• 9. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?
                          newmikeman Level 1

Thank you very much John for the archaeology and this makes good sense. I'm afraid I have used several tools on my image files over the years including one that I wrote myself using the ImgSource library.

I'm now going to invest some time in getting exiftool to launder my image files, starting with a copy of a subset of the huge mountain of image files to test out my workflow for this task.

There's an old saying about "one of the great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from"; it would be nice if LR used a slightly more flexible approach to the de facto standards and read all the IPTC records but I can't really expect that to be done just for me.

Thanks again for explaining this conundrum for me.

regards, Mike

• 10. Re: How can I get Lightroom 6.2.1 to import City/Country/State IPTC?

it would be nice if LR used a slightly more flexible approach to the de facto standards and read all the IPTC records but I can't really expect that to be done just for me.

I've observed LR's approach over the years is to follow the formal standards closely but to try to handle divergences from the standards when such divergences are common out in the marketplace.   Most recently, the built-in Android photos app was generating GPS coordinates in a slightly nonstandard way, and Adobe changed LR to handle it. 

I don't know how common having multiple IPTC application records is.  In my search, I found a couple of old posts (many years ago) about someone wanting to use Exiftool to merge them into one record, but that was about it.  You could post a feature request on the official Adobe feedback forum (include a link to your sample files), but unless we know of other specific tools with widespread usage that generate multiple records, I think it is unlikely that Adobe would address the issue anytime soon.