6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 4:34 PM by A.T. Romano

project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?

Peak Images

Hi

Today, I tried to resurrect a video that I nearly finished a year or so ago. Only a few bits were left to do, but waiting for one item from a 3rd party (a logo) meant it never got completed back then. Originally I was using elements 10 and the project settings were 1080p/25fps.

Since then I've upgraded my graphics card. PE10 will no longer work with this card (PE10 is too old to understand the card i believe) so finally had to upgrade to PE14 having had a bit of a break from editing since changing that card and PE10 stopped working.

Project settings now say 1080i (which I've never used - I shoot on a DSLR!) and it appears there's no way to change this without redoing the whole edit in a new project...!

Which I've tried to do, but creating a new project with 1080p 25fps settings, I noticed a 2nd issue. Trying to place the 2nd clip at 6s20frames into the project turned into 7s0frames. ie the timecode had started to count at 20fps not 25fps!

I really do not understand what's causing PE14 to cause such hassles with the footage/edits that worked brilliantly in PE10. But at the moment it's looking unusable

Can anyone help me

a) change the project settings back to 1080p/25fps on the original project? (really the most important thing - even if I suspect the answers no)

b) offer any clues why a project that runs at 25fps is playing silly *** with the timecode and how to change it so it shows the correct 25fps value?

Thanks in advance for any help

• 1. Re: project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Peak Images

After I saw your thread, I actually road tested your issue and cannot confirm your result.

If you create a Premiere Elements 10 Windows 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second project and open it in Premiere Elements 14 Windows on Windows 10 64 bit, the project opens with the project preset of PAL/DSLR/1080p/DSLR1080p25 - your 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second.

There is never a guarantee that any project created in an earlier version will open in a later version of the program. But, here you are getting it to open.

What are the Premiere Elements 10 readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General before you open it in Premiere Elements 14?

There is no backward compatibility with Premiere Elements versions...you cannot open a more recent version's project file in an earlier version of the program.

Did all your work involve one computer?

There might be a way to change project settings in Premiere Elements 10, editing the Notepad document of the saved closed Premiere Elements 10 project file. But, I do not see the need to go there.

Please details your steps in what you have done, and then we can compare why our end result differed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?
            Peak Images Level 1

Many thanks for your quick reply and testing ATR.

I Was going to say I cant replicate my own steps as I no longer have access to PE10, iirc it wont play with a new(ish) graphics card I installed about a year ago. Since then Ive had a brief play in a trial version of PE13, but had very little need to use.

the project may have been through PE13 briefly on the way (could have been trial or full) and has probably been on my laptop at some point too. But the footage has always been OK until I loaded the project in the (just purchased) upgrade to PE14. There it looked all compressed and probably as if it hadnt loaded properly is best way of describing. Went to project settings just as an "mebbe something got messed up with a default setting that stuck" and saw it was 1080i which i have never used. Never had interlaced footage to edit! And then discovered (possibly rediscovered, I'm coming back to editing after a break) that project settings are cast in concrete once footage is added. Which by definition an existing project has done...

But just realised that an old laptop may be able to run PE10. Will try that this pm - if I can find the old disks!

• 3. Re: project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?
              Peak Images Level 1

Well I'm now totally baffled but have a workaround for this issue...

Dragged out PE10 on the laptop and an old backup copy of the project (which is from Jan 2015, though there's no guarantees it hadn't already been opened in PE13 trial (or even full version) by then, too long ago to remember what I'd done with it!) And the project has gone to 1080i in that too... Which is very odd as that's something I always used to be very good about checking and I've never had a use for 1080i settings.

Can only assume something went wrong in PE10 now (or perhaps in PE13 if I opened the project in that), which wasn't noticeable on the laptop/in PE10. But which was very visible in PE14 on the desktop yesterday.

But once I've finally got the laptop to remember where all the files are... (yawn!) I'll add in the last couple of missing bits and re-export the finished video from PE10 on that, as that seemed to work.

As a final test, I deleted PE14 preferences and reopened PE14 with an empty project on the main PC. Can't help wondering if there's some issue with the default settings - as it had an empty project with 1080i already set (also 29.97 NTSC, rather than 25 PAL as I need here). And that wasn't changeable despite there being no media in the project... But I guess I'll worry about that if it's an issue in the future. Likewise with the 20fps (counting 20fps rather than 25fps) issue on the timeline timecode as that seems to have mysteriously disappeared today too. All very odd, but glad not to have to rebuild the project as looked likely, then impossible last night...

• 4. Re: project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Peak Images

Thanks for the reply and glad you managed to work out a scenario where the end result was acceptable.

The following is an assortment of information which one put together impacts the type of thing that you were trying to do.

1. Premiere Elements 10 installation included a dialog so that the user could designate NTSC TV Profile or PAL TV Profile. After the installation, your set up would have the default project preset of NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard respectively. Unless you changed that setting in the new project dialog when you opened a project, that would be your project setting whether or not it was correct for your video. In some versions, the project might send off a message wanting to change it for you with a Yes or No response from you.

2. You cannot change the project preset once it has been established. If the project preset is incorrect for the imported video, you start a new project.

(but, under certain circumstances,  there is a way to edit the Premiere Elements 10 project settings by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project - but that is another story).

3. When you get to Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, 13/13.1, and 14, other factors enter the picture. The programs are designed so that the project preset is set automatically based on its analysis of the first file dragged to the Timeline of that new project. If the project cannot analyze the video, the project does not give you the closest possible project settings. Instead it gives you it default which is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25. You do not see any new project dialog unless you decide to set the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project.

4. And, to add to all this, even if you are in a PAL area and in spite of your installation settings for country and language, you may always have the default of NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30.

But, in your case, we are not talking about setting up a project, we are talking about opening a project from an earlier version in a later one.

Of immediate relevance to you now is transferring project and its source media from computer to computer. When you import media into a project, all you get are copies of the originals that remain at their hard drive save location. But, the copies in the project need to trace back to the originals at the location where they were when they were first imported into the project. This is when the File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy Project option shines to give you a folder which contains the project file and all its assets. This folder can be transferred to a USB Flash Drive to get the folder onto computer 2. Another "watch out for"...if you store the source media on an external hard drive and move the external hard drive from computer to computer, make sure that the external hard drive drive letter is the same on both computers.

Please consider.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 5. Re: project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?
                  Peak Images Level 1

If the project cannot anlyze the video, the project does not give you the closest possible project settings. Instead it gives you it default which is NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or PAL AVCHD Full HD 1080i25. You do not see any new project dialog unless you decide to set the project preset manually via File Menu/New/Project.

That sounds distinctly like what's happened somewhere along the lines! Many thanks for the explanation ATR

And yes, that project archive function is really useful for gathering up only the clips that have actually been used - discovered that last night when I thought I was going to have to recreate the whole project from scratch! Keeping the same drive letter rarely works for me although I might look at a way of changing how I work on that if it saves the evil task of relinking everything when moving from laptop to PC (or vice versa!) Fortunately that's fairly rare...

And now Adobe (does Adobe listen to these forums?) three suggestions for you:

1) Let the user change the project settings after the event! (yes, that may have been designed to prevent hassles later on, but it shouldn't be impossible (after all export claims to do this))

2) Let the user set up their own project defaults and use those rather than outdated interlaced formats or wrong country format (NTSC vs PAL) if the first clip imported cannot be analysed

3) If the software needs to change the setting without the user asking it to, tell the user what's happening!

(please?!) ;-)

Fingers xd for the original to export now...(currently rendering!)

• 6. Re: project settings of an old PE10 video changed to 1080i from 1080p by upgrade to pe14 how to fix?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Peak Images

Thanks for the update.

Thinking positive thoughts about export in progress and those to come.

Best wishes

ATR