5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 9:00 PM by kayk98211261

Error reading Lightroom catalog

kayk98211261

First Error code“Lightroom encountered an error when reading a catalog file and needs to quit.  Lightroom will attempt to diagnose the problem the next time it launches.”

This error code happens frequently.  The last time it happened, I had only been working in Lightroom for about one to two minutes before the error message came up.

I have closed Lightroom several times, shut down the computer and restarted the computer and then restarted Lightroom several times.  I still continue to get the error messages — essentially making Lightroom impossible to use.

When I go to close Lightroom and ask for the Lightroom 6 Catalog to be backed up before closing, after a few minutes of attempting to back up the catalog, I receive the following additional error message:

Second Error code“Lightroom was unable to back up the catalog named “Lightroom 6 Catalog.  Please check your folder permissions, and make sure that you have available space on your backup drive and main catalog’s drive.”

I checked and I have plenty of available space on my backup drive and main catalog’s drive

I tried the “Try Again” option several times, but got the same error message after several minutes of the computer trying to back up the Lightroom 6 Catalog.

I tried the “Choose Different Backup Folder” option, but got the same error message after several minutes of the computer trying to back up the Lightroom 6 Catalog to a different backup folder.

I tried the “Quit” option.  Then Lightroom closes (without making a back up), then automatically re-opens.  After Lightroom quits, the following message comes up:

Third Error Code"The last time Lightroom ran, it shut down prematurely due to a problem reading the catalog.  Lightroom must now check the catalog before proceeding.”

When I click “OK,” Lightroom opens back up and then after a few minutes of using Lightroom, I receive the first error message again (“Lightroom encountered an error when reading a catalog file and needs to quit.  Lightroom will attempt to diagnose the problem the next time it launches.”)  So, I am in an endless loop where Lightroom needs to constantly quit and will not back up the catalog.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem?  Thank you very much to anyone who has any help!!!

• 1. Re: Error reading Lightroom catalog
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your OS?

Is the catalog on a internal drive?

In case you are on Windows: If you run Lightroom "as Adminstrator" (right click on the exe, run as..), are the errors gone?

• 2. Re: Error reading Lightroom catalog
            marinaz91328405

Hello, I'm having exactly the same problems with Lightroom CC. I am using Mac Os X El Capitan 10.11.1 and I am storing my catalog on the external drive which has plenty of space available.

Hope something can be done with that. I am starting to loose faith in this application.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Error reading Lightroom catalog
              kayk98211261 Level 1

I upgraded to El Capital 10.11.1, after which I started noticing the problems.  After a period of time, I downgraded back to Yosemite using my time machine.  That, however, did not solve the problems.  So, my operating system is now Yosemite (10.10.5) and I am running Lightroom 6.  The catalog is on an external drive and I back it up to an internal drive.

• 4. Re: Error reading Lightroom catalog
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please create a new, empty catalog, see if it works with it without errors and let us know.

• 5. Re: Error reading Lightroom catalog
                  kayk98211261 Level 1

I made a copy of my Lightroom 6 catalog (and related files) and moved them to a different external hard drive that has more space.  I read in a post that it is not just the destination location of the back-up (which for me is my internal hard drive), but also the source location of the catalog (which for me is an external hard drive) that must have enough space and that LR applies a multiplier to the size of the catalog in determining whether there is enough space.  This appears to have fixed most of the issues, so I can back up the LR catalog now.  I can also work in LR without the constant "error reading catalog" messages.  The healing tools also work now.  The only thing I have noticed that is still a problem is when I go the "Create Saved Book," I get an error message "An internal error has occurred ?:0 attempt to index a nil value."  Do you have any suggestions as to how to fix that problem?  Thank you very much for all of your help.