10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 8:03 PM by ABWay0

Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?

ABWay0 Level 1

Why is PrE14 creating both Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files & Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ABWay0

Definitely explain.

What computer operating system?

What is your project preset, SD or HD ones?

What is the format of the Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro preview files that you are seeing in your Premiere Elements 14's Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder? In Edit Menu/Preferences/General, what is your setting for Timeline rendering quality - High quality/Slow speed or something else?

I wrote about the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 preview files format in detail here

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: HD Timeline Rendered Files Format Changes

I will take a look at what I see in Premiere Elements 14 Windows.

I do not work with Premiere Pro. What version are you working with? What is the expected format of your Premiere Pro project's preview files?

To be continued....

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

ABWay0

Add On to post 1....

I have just completed a study of the preview files produced in the Timeline rendering (for video and still) process in Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit.

The preview files formats are exactly the same as I reported for Premiere Elements 13/13.1 in the link posted in post 1. For SD, they are .avi files whether the rendered file is video or still,, and for HD, they are mpeg files  with companion .xmp files whether the rendered file is video or still.

Please read the blog post for 13/13.1 which applies to 14 and which goes into great detail on the matter.

I see no evidence of a Premiere Pro preview files mixing in with those 14 preview files.

Consequently, please consider and give more details.

ATR

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
              ABWay0 Level 1

AT: Thanks for your quick response. I think I may have found the answer: When my PrE14 first loads with its "My New Video Project1.prel", it automatically creates an "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" folder, and when I load my own project, it creates an "Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files" folder. I do not have Premiere Pro on my computer.

Maybe the "Creative Cloud Free membership" program that I downloaded created this issue since it was a startup program and I think it intruded to suggest PrePro from time to time. In any case, I have removed this program from my computer but the PrePro Preview folder keeps being created with the My New Video Project1 initiation. In any case, I don't think this little quirk is a problem, now that I know what is happening. If I get compulsive, maybe sometime I'll try re-installing PrE14 to see if PrePro Preview folder goes away now that the CC Free membership program is gone.

For background: I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ABWay0

Thanks for the follow up information. Interesting and curious.

Content for the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder is from Timeline rendering. When you are in your "My New Video Project1.prel" and you Timeline render, where do the preview files go - to the Adobe Premiere Pro or Elements Preview Files Folder?

Under any circumstances, do you ever get content in the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files Folder that you see? And, where do you see this folder - in the 14.0 Folder (Windows path - Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/14.0 or some place else)?

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ABWay0

Add On to post 4 -

So far Premiere Elements 14 on Windows 10 64 bit, I cannot get an Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files Folder. And, I have the Creative Cloud free membership.

And, I do have some Creative Cloud applications there as part of a Photoshop CS5.1 package.

I will continue to look for explanation(s) for the appearance of the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files Folder under the circumstances that you give. Is there any chance that you have a Premiere Pro tryout on the computer that may have slide in with the Create Cloud install. Even when you uninstall, those project folders do remain.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                    ABWay0 Level 1

When I render in My New Video Project1, the Rendered - ... file is put under the "Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files" folder in its "My new video project1.PRV" folder even though there is a "My new video project1.PRV" folder created in the PrePro Preview folder.

Also, when I exit PrE14 after loading both the "My New Video Project1" and my own project, a .PRV folder for my own project is created in the PrePro Preview folder. However, both of the .PRV folders in the PrePro Preview folder remain empty.

Preferences > Scratch Disks > Video / Audio Previews = F:\Premiere_Elements folder.

I have just re-installed PrE14 (without uninstalling it) and PrE14 is still creating the  "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" folder and the unused PRV sub-folders.

It is possible that I did load a trial of PrePro at some point but it is not present on my computer now. But, just to be clear, when I delete the PrePro Preview folder and those PRV subfolders, they are all re-created when I run PrE14 again.

Many thanks.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ABWay0

The only way that you should be getting the regeneration of the Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files Folder is if you have Premiere Pro on your computer and you open Premiere Pro.

Have you checked the list of installed programs in Control Panel/Programs?

You could try "flushing the preferences"...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 14.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 14.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

Then, if necessary,

The overwriting of an install should be avoided. Consider

a. Uninstall the usual Control Panel Way

then

b. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)  CCleaner - Download

then

c. Reinstall Premiere Elements 14 with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

(I will do some exploring and experimenting with this also. So far, I cannot get the Adobe Premiere Pro Previews Files Folder as you have described.)

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                        ABWay0 Level 1

None of the steps you recommended stopped the creation of "Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files" folder when first opening PrE14 (initializing with  My New Video Project1.prel):

1. Deleting Local Disk C > Users > Owner > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Premiere Elements > 14.0.

2. Uninstalling PrE14 > Running CCleaner: Windows and Application Cleaner & Registry Cleaner > Installing PrE14.

Just to be clear, I don't think this quirk is interfering with my using Pre14.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ABWay0

Thanks for the update.

Rendering files are for previewing purposes and do not fix anything so, if this is confined to just the persistence of that Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files Folder that remains empty, as you said, "...don't think this quirk is interfering with...using Pre14".

You say that you have the free Creative Cloud on your computer. Does it go unused, or do you ever use it? If you do, maybe whatever you use it for might be a clue?

Curiosity is one of my major shortcomings. So the lack of a why for this is unsettling. I will think about this some more to determine if I can get that Adobe Premiere Pro Previews Files Folder to appear.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files?
                            ABWay0 Level 1

AT: No, I never used the Creative Cloud Free membership program, except to see what it was offering (nothing that I needed). In any case, I removed it from my computer recently, just to see if it was causing this issue (it wasn't).

Like you, I am just curious about why this anomaly occurs, but life must go on. If you come up with anything, please let me know.

Many thanks for your great effort,

ABWay0