2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2015 7:54 PM by MPDAEF

How do I find missing files that are "already imported"?

MPDAEF Level 1

I hope I can explain this problem, because I really don't understand myself how a photo can be "already imported" and "missing" at the same time.  Example:  I have a photo that LR says is "missing."  I can use it in any LR module, but I can't move it or export it or edit it in PS.  When I go to "find" it, it is in my Pictures library, just where it ought to be.  If I try to import it again (import the folder in Pictures library into the corresponding folder in LR, which would normally bring up any photos in that folder in Pictures that is not currently in the LR folder), then LR shows it grayed out and says it is "already imported," so I can't import it again.  However, it is not actually to be found in that folder in LR, and there doesn't appear to be any way to find it elsewhere in LR, since the "find" function just takes me back to Pictures library folder, which is the one and only place where the photo is on disk.  If I search in the entire Pictures folder, only the missing file comes up.  Useless circle.

I can rename the photo (which is rather a nuisance when there are a bunch of "missing" photos), and then I can (re)import it, but the original is still in "missing photos."  Haven't tried to delete the "missing" version, so I don't know if that would delete all the versions or not.

I don't believe I "removed" any of these photos, but I went looking in help files for how to restore removed files to give that a try.  Found no information on this--only how to delete them altogether. (I'd actually like to know how to restore a removed file.)

Hope this makes sense to someone, as I'd surely appreciate some help.  I've been using LR for a number of years and have never had photos "disappear" in this way before.  (Running Win 7, 64 bit, LR CC)

Thanks.

Gail

• 1. Re: How do I find missing files that are "already imported"?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LR remembers where a photos is stored when you Import the photo.

LR says the photo is missing if there is no photo file it can access at the location where it was imported from, originally.

You cannot import a photo if LR already has a record of it.

So if you have imported a photo then moved the photo somewhere else using some OS utility or other program that isn’t LR, then the photo will be missing as far as LR is concerned, but LR still has record of it so it cannot be imported, again, either.

What you’re supposed to do is right-click on the photo or the entire folder of photos if it has a question-mark in LR and choose Find Missing Photo/Folder and browse over to it in the file system where it resides, now, and click Ok, and LR will update the location of the folder or photo within it’s catalog so the photo won’t be missing, anymore.

At least that is how it’s supposed to work.  It’s not clear whether you’ve actually done the right-click-Find from within LR, yet, or not.

• 2. Re: How do I find missing files that are "already imported"?
            MPDAEF Level 1

Thanks, but I have done this in other cases before, so I am familiar with

the method.  Unfortunately, several photos (and  one entire folder, except

2 or 3 photos I had worked on in LR or PS) were in exactly the same place

on the hard drive (in same Picture library folders) as when imported.  They

weren't moved, reorganized, renamed, or touched in any way, so I don't know

why they went "missing."   If, then, they are in the same place as when

first imported, one cannot "relocate" them and click ok.  This doesn't

work, at least not for me.

I have, by now, renamed, re-imported, etc., but the usual instructions did

not work, which was why I raised the question.

I assume I can just delete the "missing" ones now without creating some

other problem.