5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 8:02 PM by Andy Schlei

Best Approach for Editing on Two Computers

Andy Schlei Level 1

I usually use my desktop PC to edit my pictures, but will be traveling and would like to be able to work on my laptop while traveling.  I wonder what is the best approach.

As background, all my photos are in a cloud service (OneDrive in my case) that syncs the files to identical directories on both desktop and laptop.

I've identified two approaches and would like a recommendation on which is best.

1. Move the catalog to the cloud synchronized directory structure
        I know I would need to be sure I only had the catalog open on one machine at a time and that would need to be sure synchronization is complete before starting an editing sessions

2. Export a catalog of the files I'd like to edit and re-import when I am done
        Because the negative files are in the same file structure, I would export only the metadata, not the negative files
        I would perform my editing and then re-import the catalog to my master catalog when I return, again, leaving the negative files alone.

Is there a benefit / cost to either approach?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Best Approach for Editing on Two Computers
          Andy Schlei Level 1

I just noticed one thing with approach #1.  I made a minor change in the cloud shared catalog.  This synced to mobile and then ended up in my non-cloud shared master catalog.

I'm not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

• 2. Re: Best Approach for Editing on Two Computers
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The most error-free method of "sharing" the catalog between multiple computers is to put the catalog (and its preview folders) on an external drive and move the drive between the computers as needed. This results in no synchronizing to go wrong.

Some folks have gotten DropBox/OneDrive to work with shuffling the catalog between the computers. Some versions of the sharing services do not like to have random edits made to the files they control, which is exactly what happens in the database file. In this case, the best thing is to copy the catalog out of the shared directory, use it, close LR, then copy the catalog back to the shared folder.

• 3. Re: Best Approach for Editing on Two Computers
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andy Schlei wrote:

1. Move the catalog to the cloud synchronized directory structure
                I know I would need to be sure I only had the catalog open on one machine at a time and that would need to be sure synchronization is complete before starting an editing sessions

I'd go with this method providing you are careful with the synchronization, upload while travel etc.

A lot depends on how frequently you swap between computers. The more frequently it happens, the more you are looking at keeping the catalogue on an external drive. It's convenient when you are going between office and home computers, but a drive allows for more use of Lr offline, especially if you have generated lots of smart previews. When I travel I use this method, and it has replaced your option 2 for me.

The cloud method can be fine if you can wait for upload sync to complete after closing Lr on on machine, and wait for the download sync to complete before opening Lr on the other. If you're online while travelling, and upload speed is good, then you gain some backup advantages too.

Another idea is to use the Mobile features if you have a CC subscription. Sync a collection to Mobile and you can do broad brush adjustments on tablets or phones, and the adjustments will automatically go back into your catalogue. You can also use Lightroom Web to make some adjustments in a standard browser window, and in all cases you can generate JPEGs if you need to send them to people.

There are individual circumstances and quite a range of approaches.

• 4. Re: Best Approach for Editing on Two Computers
                Andy Schlei Level 1

Thank you for the clear feedback on what works best. I may not like the answer (carrying a separate drive) but the practical input is good.

• 5. Re: Best Approach for Editing on Two Computers
                  Andy Schlei Level 1

John,

Thanks for the detailed response.  My switch between PCs is seldom, so the sync approach might work.  I'll give it a try.

It is interesting that no one has suggested the export / import of a subset of a master catalog.  From that I conclude that not many have tried that approach.

Thanks so much for your response to my inquiry.

-Andy