9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 10:55 AM by Rick Gerard

Exceedingly Long Render Time

tarab19578531

Hi there.  I'm very new to after effects and am trying to render a slideshow template I purchased from FluxVfx called 100 photos slideshow.  I talked to their support and they told me it should take approximately 1-2 hours to render the project.  However, on my first try, I waited 7 hours and only got 1 minute of the 2 1/2 minute slideshow from it in quicktime. 

I am running after effects 2015

on a 4G macbook air with 1.7 Ghz Intel Core i5 and 120.11 GB free memory.

I originally cleared the cache by going to preferences > media & disks > empty disk cache.

Render settings: best settings; quicktime (video codec H.264 @ 75% quality)

I reached out to the company I purchased the template from and they told me to clear the cache by going to edit > purge > all memory & disk cache.  When I did this, my estimated render times went from 24 hours to 117 hours.  I suspect that there is a setting amiss somewhere in the program or on the computer, but I am new to this program and unfamiliar with what it would be.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am doing this for a wedding on Saturday, and I really need to figure this out soon!

Thanks in advance for the tips. 

• 1. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

These are CC 2015 issues. Uninstall it an instal CC 2014.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My first thought is that your images are bigger than their need to be.  Everyone of your images should be at or near 100% scale at some point in the project. If the layers are 3-D then the distance between camera and the image should be equal to zoom value.

The other thing that could cause extremely long render times would be having the ray-traced rendering engine turned on.

• 3. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
              tarab19578531 Level 1

Thank you for the feedback!

I downloaded AE CC 2014 and have been working under this version.  I also took the following steps: emptied the disk cache, purged all memory and image cache memory, ran a render on the empty template (without my pictures inserted), and closed the render composition/used caps locks while rendering.

The settings for the render were: best settings and lossless with a video codec at H.264 at 75 percent quality under basic video settings.  After two hours, only 4 seconds of the 2 and a half minute project rendered.  Meanwhile, the estimated render times went from 15 hours to 61 hours during that time.  I attempted to change the memory allocation under "RAM reserved for other applications" but the program would not allow it.  As is, 1.5 G is reserved and 2.5 G is available to render.  On render, 36% to 41% of the RAM was being utilized.

Any other advice?

• 4. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try rendering to an image sequence (like TIFF, JPG, or PNG). See how that works. If it behaves, you can then bring that into Premiere to add your audio.

What are your memory and multiprocessing settings? (Screenshot would help.)

• 5. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
                  tarab19578531 Level 1

Thanks! I actually went back to the CC 2015 version and got more realistic run times.  About 80 percent of the project rendered after 8 hours before it stopped due to a RAM error.  I then just rendered the last section on its own and merged the two quicktime movies for a final product.

I think perhaps I just don't have the memory to run the program.  I have a macbook air with 4G RAM and a 1.7 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor.  This may be my first and last design project in AE.  I like taking on more sophisticated design projects, but they come with plenty of headaches when not working with sufficient resources.

• 6. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm glad you got it working!

Rendering to an image sequence would also help in this situation as you wouldn't need to merge anything. As soon as it crashes, you just start rendering from the frames you don't have onward. It's very handy for long renders like this.

And, yes, 4 GB is the bare minimum to even run AE and the minimum recommended is 8, so that very well could be your issue. RAM is very cheap these days so, if you have another project in the future, consider adding some RAM to your machine.

• 7. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I gotta tell you, 4 GB of memory is almost insufficient for AE.  DO NOT run other applications when trying to render.  You just don't have enough memory to do it.  It's recommended to have 8GB, and 16 GB is better.  It's too bad you can't put more into that machine of yours.  I fear you will ALWAYS suffer from long render times.

• 8. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
                        tarab19578531 Level 1

Good advice, Szalam! thank you.

• 9. Re: Exceedingly Long Render Time
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

tarab19578531 wrote:

Thank you for the feedback!

The settings for the render were: best settings and lossless with a video codec at H.264 at 75 percent quality under basic video settings. 

There is a disconnect here. Lossless is not H.264. You should not be rendering H.264, especially Quicktime H.264 from the render cue. Looks like you created a custom render. You should only be doing that if you know and understand exactly what you are doing. The fastest way I know to foul up a render is to try and makeup your own formula.