13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 6:29 AM by trshaner

tone curve presets location

sailmom15

I am taking a lightroom class....the instructor gave us tone curve presets with directions to install...which I did..

they appear on the left under "presets"....

However, the instructor provided a video showing how to use the tone curve with the presets, and the presets also  appear on the right

within the tone curve panel...under a drop down menu..and the instructor referenced Light room presets..

Under my drop down menu, All I get  are medium or strong contrast as choices...

I am using Lightroom version 2015 2.1

thanks for any help

• 1. Re: tone curve presets location
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the presets doing? Presumably setting some fixed values for Highlights, Lights, Darks and Shadows.

By selecting the Tone Curve Panel you can also control the adjustments globally (RGB) or on a selected color channel. You can also select the targeted adjustment tool from within the curves dialog and click on part of the image in the main window and change by dragging up and down. See video:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/how-to/lightroom-adjust-tone-curve.html

• 2. Re: tone curve presets location
            sailmom15 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  This is not exactly what I was asking....let me see if I can ask it better...

there is something missing from my panel...or I don't know how to get to it correctly to find presets.

here are screen shots from instructor video...I don't have these options....Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 9.29.49 AM.png

see where it says Point curve...CUSTOM?  I don't have that or don't know how to get it..

this is where it takes the instructor: all the choices from a drop down menu..

I can see presets on left side.....under presets....but not under the right hand side....

thanks

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 9.34.23 AM.png

• 3. Re: tone curve presets location

The choices are usually Linear, Medium Strong.

If you click on the point curve icon (bottom right in the curve dialog) the sliders should disappear and you will get a straight diagonal line. Click the central point or anywhere along the line to make a custom option.

Do you have a link for the tutorial?

• 4. Re: tone curve presets location
                sailmom15 Level 1

thanks again for your reply.

I do NOT need a tutorial about how to use the tone curve....as I am in a class  with an expert.

I need to know how to access the presets the way the instructor does.

I contacted the forum before I go to the class forum...as I have to post so many basic how to questions to my class.....

thanks for replies...but not really the answer I need...

I will wait awhile to see if anyone else can assist, and then will post to class forum..

• 5. Re: tone curve presets location

I assume the presets on the right appear when saved in the correct location.

What system are you using? If I save a Curve preset on my Windows 7 system they get saved in the folowing location:

C:\Users\jon\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Curves

• 6. Re: tone curve presets location
                    Rafael Aviles Level 3

I do not know your operating system (Mac or Windows?) but on my Mac, the custom curves presets are stored in the Camera Raw area:

/Users/Rafael/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Curves

They show up under the Point Curve standard Lightroom choices (Linear, Medium Contrast, Strong Contrast).

The custom curves I have are xmp files.

Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: tone curve presets location
                      sailmom15 Level 1

I am on a 2015 iMac

so why do I only have a few standard lightroom choices....(see the above screen shot of my instructor's choices)

and how can I get the presets which show up in the left screen panel under "presets".....over to the right...like in my instructor's example....(see screen shot)

here is my left panel: see tone curve presets are there....

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.19.47 AM.png

here is my right screen tone curve panel:

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 10.20.16 AM.png

so in LR CC...maybe you don't have this option?  I don't ever see "custom" on the above panel...

thanks for your replies

• 8. Re: tone curve presets location
                        Rafael Aviles Level 3

You need to place the files in the location (folder) I showed you above, so they show up on your tone curve panel. I am not sure if these are the same files (or type of files) as in the Presets location (which show up on your left panel).

• 9. Re: tone curve presets location

The presets should work perfectly from the left-hand presets tab. The only reason for saving them on the right (in the Tone Curve dialog) is that it makes the settings available in both Lightroom and Camera Raw.

So the question is really do you need to use them in both Photoshop & Lr.

• 10. Re: tone curve presets location
                            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sailmom15 wrote:

I am on a 2015 iMac

so why do I only have a few standard lightroom choices....(see the above screen shot of my instructor's choices)

and how can I get the presets which show up in the left screen panel under "presets".....over to the right...like in my instructor's example....(see screen shot)

Left panel User Develop presets are .lrtemplate files stored here:

(user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Develop Presets/

User Tone Curves that appear in the Tone Curve panel are .XMP files stored here:

(user)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/Curves

They are two separate types of files. It sounds like the instructor didn't give you the Tone Curve .XMP files.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: tone curve presets location
                              georgen3835901

After following 99jon's instructions to establish custom tone curve settings, the next step to create a preset you click the up/down arrows next to "Point Curve:" There is an option to "save". Name the preset and it is then stored where trshaner indicates.

• 12. Re: tone curve presets location
                                CRC Photographer

I also had xmp tone curve adjustment files that I wanted to add to my LR and RAW library, so they would show up in the tone curve drop down menu on the right (not the preset menu on the left). 

1.  No Curves Folder and I Can't Add One.

I followed the designated path on my mac  (library/application support/adobe/camera raw/curves), but there wasn't a curves folder in the camera raw folder.  I tried to add a folder there, using finder's "Create New Folder" but it wasn't possible.   

2.  Get LR to Create a Curves Folder For Me.

Reasoning, that if I saved a custom tone curve (dummy one) in LR, then LR would need a place to store it, right?  Maybe it only creates a Curves folder when the first custom tone curve is saved from LR.  I tried it and it worked - saved a dummy tone curve from within the tone curve adjustment panel (on the right) in LR.   I then followed the designated path (shown in step 1) and indeed, a Curves folder had been created.

3.  Add Custom Tone Curves (xmp files) to the Curves Folder

I dragged (or copy/pasted) my custom curve files (amp) to the Curves folder and all was right with the world again.... after I restarted LR that is. 

4.  Restart LR

• 13. Re: tone curve presets location
                                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Interesting. So it appears the user Curves folder isn't present until at least one "custom" Tone Curve is saved. Thanks for that feedback.