5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 9:50 AM by thedigitaldog

Print module's Printer adjustment area -- brightness slider

bruceAK Level 1

When I send my photos to the lab for printing, in order to get the final print to match the exposure on my screen, I have to increase the exposure in the Develop module before rendering my final image to send to the lab.  Typically, I add about .4 to whatever exposure setting I have already set in the Develop module.  This typically gets me a perfect exposure match.  Afterward, I then have to remember to set the exposure back on all my pictures that I send to the lab.  Alternatively, I sometimes make the exposure increase on a virtual copy, but then I have a ton of extra virtual copies cluttering things up.

I learned recently that in the Print module, I can increase the brightness with the brightness slider.  If I print to JPG in the print module and use the brightness slider, I could produce my lab files and eliminate the "cleanup" steps noted above.  However, I don't really know how the Printer Adjustment Brightness slider relates to the Develop module's exposure slider.  I.e., what movements on each slider are considered to be equivalents-- if I normally increase the exposure by .4 in the Develop module, what level do I increase the brightness slider to in order to match that?  Would I increase the brightness slider to 10, 15, 20 ......????   I have no clue!   How do these two slider relate?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bruce

PS.  Because I know someone will ask, YES, I have color corrected my monitor.  However, my monitor is VERY bright and I have worked with the CC vendor to bring down the luminosity of my monitor to 90 lumens, but that is still too bright and we cannot safely set it lower without risking damage to the monitor.  This is why I unfortunately have to do the manual exposure increase.

• 1. Re: Print module's Printer adjustment area -- brightness slider
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>we cannot safely set it lower without risking damage to the monitor.

That sounds rather crazy. I don't think it is possible to damage a monitor by setting a too low brightness. What is your current screen brightness measured by your calibrator? Anyway, if your monitor cannot go down in brightness, the trick is to increase the ambient lighting. This really is the only correct solution to this issue. Your current system will result in bad edit decisions. You really should never have to use the brightness slider or to add exposure compensation to correct if you have a calibrated chain. If you have to do the brightness slider thing, the images in your library will all be edited badly.

• 2. Re: Print module's Printer adjustment area -- brightness slider
            bruceAK Level 1

I guess damage was a lazy word to use.  Basically, in order to get the monitor down to 90 lumens, the brightness control had to be set on the monitor to 5%.  Both Xrite and Dell recommended not going any further below 5%.  Surprisingly, this issue actually got escalated by Xrite such that Xrite got the senior Dell monitor engineers involved on a 3 way call to debug the issue.  The colorimeter shows the monitor is at 89 lumens, yet when I send my pictures, as is, to WHCC for printing, they still come out about a 1/2 stop too dark. 

• 3. Re: Print module's Printer adjustment area -- brightness slider
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rather than having to remember to reset the brightness, you could use the soft proof feature and create a virtual copy and reduce the brightness on that virtual copy. Then you could decide when/if to delete the virtual copies.

• 4. Re: Print module's Printer adjustment area -- brightness slider
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's really not right. I run most of my monitors at 110-120 cd/m2 and I don't have the problem you describe with my in-house printers, nor with prints from services (I use bayphoto most of the time, but also use costco for not so critical work). Something might be wrong in the chain here. I have no experience with WHCC but I'd imagine they should know what they are doing color management wise?

• 5. Re: Print module's Printer adjustment area -- brightness slider
                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

bruceAK wrote:

When I send my photos to the lab for printing, in order to get the final print to match the exposure on my screen, I have to increase the exposure in the Develop module before rendering my final image to send to the lab.  Typically, I add about .4 to whatever exposure setting I have already set in the Develop module.  This typically gets me a perfect exposure match.  Afterward, I then have to remember to set the exposure back on all my pictures that I send to the lab. 

Those sliders are a huge kluge! Calibrate the display for a visual match to the print next to the display, you'll have no need for these silly sides. IF your image are too dark, the RGB values are the issue and need to be edited. Once done, those RGB values will be correct no matter what application you use to view/print those images. If you use the sliders, you guarantee a mismatch since this is an 'edit' that happens as the 'darker' RGB values get sent to the printer. Dumb! Fix the values if they need to be edited. This article should help you get a screen to print match any and everywhere you view these images in an ICC aware (color managed) application:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml