6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 5:05 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?

USAF, MC, FS

In this first effort with Premier Elements 13, I had a company convert my 50-year-old movies (8mm) into digital files (.avi).  But the company can't know how to sequence them so I'm trying to make the DVD 'movies'.  I want to make them for relatives to use (so they have to work in the majority of consumer DVD players).

I tried making Blu-ray movies, but (using M-discs) they wouldn't even play in my Blu-ray player.  Next I tried making AVCHD movies, but at 31% of the process, I get a 'transcription error'.  So I made DVDs with the program, but the quality is (I think) even worse than the 8mm movies they came from.  They appear more grainy to me than when I view the files on the computer.

Question 1:  Can I do better?

1a: If AVCHD would be better, is my problem just one of using the wrong type of disc?

Question 2:  Each .prel movie only runs 30 minutes and consumes less than 2 GB for the disc.  Assuming that better-quality images would still use less than 4.7 GB, is there a simpler way to combine two .prel movies?  Making each from the .avi files was a challenge...

- Premier Elements 13

- Verbatim DVD-R discs

- HP laptop computer burner

• 1. Re: How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Much depends on what codecs those AVIs are using. AVIs can be made up of any of thousands of codecs, not all of which edit well and few of which will make for a good BluRay disc.

Open a sample AVI in G Spot or Media Info and note the resolution, frame rate and especially the audio and video codecs that are listed. With that information we'll be better able to advise you.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

• 2. Re: How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?
            USAF, MC, FS Level 1

I think I learned this from G-Spot:

Frame Rate 29.97 Frames/sec

Audio Codec (none, it's a silent movie)

Video Codec:  dvsd  DVC/DV Video  'Codecs are installed'

Resolution:  720 x 480  4:3

Proposed Codec Solutions & Tests

G Spot  Vid 1

MS A/V 1

Not sure I copied the right things for resolution....

• 3. Re: How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Very nice! That's a good, editable video file. However, it is a standard definition video file and it will not produce a good high-def or BluRay video.

That said, when you add the video to your Premiere Elements 13 timeline, the program should set up your project to match your video's specs. And,. when you're doing, you should be able to easily output a very nice looking DVD.

• 4. Re: How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

USAF, MC, FS

The automatic setting of the project preset (Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and others) does not always give you the correct project preset. If it cannot analyze your file for whatever reason, 13/13.1 will give you its default which is 1080i (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

Consequently, when you are setting up your protocol and project settings for work, it is a good idea initially to set up the project preset manually. In your case, you would want to assure that the project preset is NTSC DV Standard. You can use the following steps to set up manual project preset

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC DV Standard. OK out of there.
                • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

When you let the project take over the setting of the project preset, you can always check what it has set via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. You cannot change settings there, but you can know what has been set.

The only other just in case...you appear to have DV AVI files. If that is the case, verify with GSpot whether these were created as DV AVI type 1 or type 2. GSpot should give you that information in the Container section of its dialog box. If you have DV AVI type 1 which Premiere Elements does not support, you can convert type 1 to type 2 in the free DV Date. http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?
                  USAF, MC, FS Level 1

Many thanks to Mr. Grisetti and Mr. Romano.  The container says I have DV Type 2 AVI, and it appears Premiere Elements made the DVD with DV NTSC.  So I must have as good a DVD as I can make with from those 8 mm films.

Last question:  The Premiere projects were made by stitching together pieces of various .avi files, but when completed, each is only a 30-minute DVD, and doesn't consume an entire disc.  Once I put a DVD on the disc, I guess I can't add another.  Is there any way to get more stuff on the disc other than starting new .prel files?

• 6. Re: How do I get the best video quality in a DVD made from .avi files?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

USAF, MC, FS

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good progress.

Once you have burned to disc DVD, there is no opportunity to add more DVD-VIDEO to the disc even if you have a re-writable disc.

All Premiere Elements will do for you is to erase what is on that disc, and then burn the new content as DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

The VIDEO_TS Folder is the major structure of the DVD-VIDEO format. And, only one VIDEO_TS Folder is possible on one DVD disc. However, if you want to add pictures to the disc with VIDEO_TS Folder, there is a way to do that. Instead of Premiere Elements burn to disc, you would do a burn to folder. And then you would take the folder into a program like ImgBurn (Windows only) and burn the VIDEO_TS Folder plus the pictures to DVD disc. The VIDEO_TS Folder will represent the video but the pictures will present as stills in the playback.

One consideration, if you have many project files each representing phases of your theme, export each project to a DV.AVI file, and then import all those exports into one final project for burn to disc.

Any clarification needed on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR