3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2008 3:50 PM by Newsgroup_User

Coverting PMS Colors to CMYK or RGB

MalRom Level 1
      HI there, I have been given some PSM colors to use for a website but cant find how to convert them to CMYK or RGB. Does anyone know anything about PMS colors and how I would go about converting?

1. Example: PMS 8520 Metallic Light Brown

Cheers
      Mally
        • 1. Re: Coverting PMS Colors to CMYK or RGB
          Level 1
          Mally,

Please note that RGB color profile is ideally used for web use.

CMYK is specifically designed for print medium, not for web medium.

Therefore, Fireworks only works with RGB profile.

Hope that helps, no?
          • 2. Re: Coverting PMS Colors to CMYK or RGB
            pixlor Level 4
            quote:

Originally posted by: MalRom
            HI there, I have been given some PSM colors to use for a website but cant find how to convert them to CMYK or RGB. Does anyone know anything about PMS colors and how I would go about converting?

1. Example: PMS 8520 Metallic Light Brown

Cheers
            Mally

Years ago, Pantone made a product called ColorWeb Pro that had software and also a fan of ink samples and Pantone's recommendations for CMYK and RGB (Web) values that would be the best representation for each ink. For the Web, they'd researched the ink colors and tried to account for variations in graphics card, monitor, and printer hardware. Because of that variation, there's really no hard and fast conversion you can use. (Plus, the RGB colors that are best for the Web won't be the same as the CMYK colors that are best for print.)

Pantone has a number of current products for color matching. You might be better off contacting them and getting advice on what product would work best for you. Pantone Web site

For a metallic color, you might want to use a subtle gradient to simulate a reflective effect, though.

Good luck!
            • 3. Re: Coverting PMS Colors to CMYK or RGB
              Level 7
              >>>> I have been given some PSM colors to use for a website

Can you list all the PMS (Pantone Matching System) colors here?

For a website, you'll only need the RGB equivalents.

--
              Regards

John Waller