3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:17 AM by RoninEdits

$1000 'Foot in the Door' Editing Build

kcer0

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy, primarily, a budget editing system in the ballpark of $1000USD/¥12000JPY for using the likes of Premiere Pro and Da Vinci Resolve. Most of this is hypothetically speaking, but I will likely buy a Sony a7s camera in the future and will likely/hopefully be editing 4K footage from time to time. However, I am fine with offline editing and transcoding the footage from 4K to 1080p, then exporting again in 4K if necessary. I will be (hopefully) working on short narrative films, music videos, etc. I hope to buy this PC by the end of this year, and I currently live in Japan (I'll link to Japanese shops and convert to USD). I came up with three builds:

i7 4790k Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xyjjzy (¥118835 JPY/$964 USD)

i7 6700 Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RkMfWZ (¥129928 JPY/$1054 USD)

i7-5820k Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gPNLZL (¥150910 JPY/$1225 USD)

I already posted on Tom's Hardware and got some good advice. However, I really some advice from video editors. I've read a lot of the threads here and most people would say the i7-5820k is a no brainer, but I need to stress that this is not currently my job. I am taking steps to try and make it be the case, but thus far I am a very poor one man director/editor/etc and though I have some projects I have no cash flow yet and so every $100 counts. For example, if I took the 4790k over the 5820k build I have almost $300 to put towards better audio equipment, a lens, an extra monitor etc. I can stare at benchmarks all day and percentages telling me X is 5% better than Y, and while I can assume that I'll save 10 minutes here or there, I'd rather work with the limitation of waiting 10 minutes more than the very tangible lack of a key piece of equipment in another area.  I've been editing using a 600d and a crummy old laptop for 4 years, staring at basically powerpoint presentation playback and taking a gambling with the output. Anything more than this will be a revelation to me.

Some notes, I've never overclocked before and hence why I have the i7 6700 build in the first place as the motherboard supports DDR4, m.2, usb 3.1 and a better audio codec. I understand that the Skylake series offers very little over the 4790k but again, I'm not sure I'll overclock. However, if someone can tell me that overclocking the i7 4790k is absolutely worth it then I'd lean towards that build. On top of this, in the future I plan to add another 8GB of ram and an additional two WD HDD 1TB to spread the workload. For the time being I would put OS/programs on the SSD and the rest on the 1TB. I doubt I will do any complex RAID, though a two drive Raid 0 may be on the cards. I would use an external HDD for backups.

Anyway, this has been a very long post and so I really appreciate if you stuck through it. Thank you for your time!

Kris

• 1. Re: $1000 'Foot in the Door' Editing Build
          cc_merchant Level 4

All configurations show a very weak 600W PSU and only 1 x 8GB memory and a mid tower.

See Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use? why you should opt for a better PSU (at least 750W Gold label) and why a big tower.

For memory use at least 4GB per physical core, so 16 GB for quad cores and 24 GB for hexa cores as minimum. 8GB is not enough.

Using only a single DIMM module is not advised. With dual channel architecture use multiples of two DIMM modules, with triple channel use multiples of three modules and with quad channel use multiples of four modules.

Overclocking is easy and the cheapest way to get better performance, because it is free. Have a look at New System Build for some ideas and considerations.

• 2. Re: $1000 'Foot in the Door' Editing Build
            kcer0 Level 1

Thank you for the great advice! I've built two PCs yet had absolutely no idea about RAM channels, so such advice is absolutely golden. I was a bit shaky about the PSU too, so I've taken it into consideration! I've updated my build with extra RAM and a new PSU, as well as updating the Kingston to a Samsung drive.

i7 4790k: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DzH2P6

I think all things considered a 5820k Build is just way out of my range. The i7-6700k I may consider depending on when I actually buy the PC (likely 2 to 3 months time) as the price of it and DDR4/Mobos may drop dramatically post Christmas.

So, the question that remains for me is whether this build could conceivably edit offline 4k footage or something like 2.5k footage online. For example, I read the What Kind of PC to use? thread and it states a six core for stuff like ProRes 422/AVCHD. I have acquaintances who have said they have comfortably edited 2.5k footage for a fast cut, effects laden music videos on an i7 Mac laptop for example, whereas some internet proponents of spending upwards of $5000 on a PC have Vimeos full of nothing but one camera, one track work that I'm fairly certain I could comfortably render and export on my laptop now. I'm sorry if I sound arrogant or antagonistic, but I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there on something like i7 4790k who can tell me what day to day editing on is like.

• 3. Re: $1000 'Foot in the Door' Editing Build
              RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the i7-4790k may be around 20-30% faster than an i7 laptop (depends on which i7 is in the laptop), so it should handle HD/2.5k projects. the 4k offline will depend on the proxies, they could be made into HD proxies if needed. the i7-6700k would be a better choice if possible, to get ddr4 and other next gen features.

if using proxies/offline, you might want to look into davinci resolves new built-in proxy system (optimized media). you may be able to edit and color inside resolve, using its proxies, then have resolve use the originals on export. built-in proxy systems have been around for a long time, but premiere is missing that and several other features.

for your i7-4790k build, a Z97 motherboard would have more options like multiple video cards and overclocking.

if you plan on doing alot of coloring in davinci resolve, you may want a gtx 970 for HD/2.5k projects.

the 250gb version ssd would be faster and last longer. the extra space can hold adobe's cache and resolves cache/db.

asrock and msi often allow for better features for their prices, but asus and gigabyte have the lowest failure rates.