10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 7:12 AM by Joshann

Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?

Tsquared3

Greetings!

I have a video which, when displayed in Premiere Elements 9, looks clear (high resolution) when paused but pixelated during play back. I would greatly appreciate this community's ideas on what is happening.

The first picture below, captured while the video is paused, has clean lines and good detail.  The vents on the locker are individually identifiable.

In the second picture, the subject appears blurred with jagged (pixelated) lines, and the vents on the locker smudge together.

non-pixelated video.JPG  pixelated video.JPG

When I play the video in Windows, it looks great (like the picture on the left).  But when I play it back in Premiere Elements it is already degraded in quality.

I have only imported the .mts file and dropped it on the timeline.  I have not edited anything yet.  When I select Render, it immediately starts playing the video because there are no changes to render.

I have read other posts such as this one: Quality Problems importing Samsung S5 mp4 videos.  The issues are not exactly the same but they gave me some things to try.

What is the video source? Sony HDR-XR350

What are the details of the video format? See output of Mediainfo.

footloose video information.JPG

Having read in the post referenced above that variable frame rate might be problematic for Premiere Elements, I tried converting the file to an mp4 format using Handbrake. The settings are shown below.

Handbrake settings.JPG

Here is the output from Handbrake.

mp4 video information.JPG

Premiere Elements was unable to import the mp4 file. It hung up.

hang up.JPG

Here is the Windows computer system I am running Premiere Elements on.

system info.JPG

I hope these details will help generate ideas of what else I should be looking at.

Once again, thank you for considering this question!

Tsquared3

• 1. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tsqiared3

Thanks for all the important troubleshooting information.

I am still going through the details, but my first impression is that you are editing AVCHD.mts in a 32 bit application in the 32 bit mode of a 64 bit computer.

As such you are working with a high resource demanding format in the 32 bit computer environment with maximum supported installed RAM of 4 GB of which only about 3 GB or less of that are available. And you are working with 35 minutes of this format. How much free hard drive space does your computer have?

If you put aside the computer resources question...

1. Is this strictly a previewing issue or is this an overall project/program problem? If you export the Timeline content, what is the quality of the export - similarly flawed? (When exporting a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 content, please use export settings with the frame size 1920 x 1080 to avoid the dependency of the player reading a 16:9 flag of the 1440 x 1080.

2. You wrote

When I select Render, it immediately starts playing the video because there are no changes to render.

This would suggest that you have selected the correct project preset for the project. What is it according to the readings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General?

3. Your screenshot of the original show only one frame rate. And you are using a camcorder. So, there is not indication for a variable frame rate in this instance. If you were dealing with a variable frame rate, you would have seen three frame rates in the MediaInfo video properties readout. Typically camcorder are not devices that record with a variable frame rate.

4. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 was particularly noted for its Display issues. By the way, are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program? If not, use the following link for the Update. Do not use the Help Menu/Updates for the update to 9.0.1.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Have you gotten any display card errors even if you have your video card/graphics card driver version up to date. For that the solution is likely to be deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file. ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

Please consider and then we will discuss this further in the morning based on the details in your reply. If file conversion is necessary for reasons other than variable frame rate, perhaps we could look at obtaining a  HandBrake 1920 x 1080p29.97 H.264.mp4 instead of the 1440 x 1080p29.97 that you went with.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
            Tsquared3 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for such a quick response! You replied before I remembered that I needed to provide the presets for the project. Here they are:

presets.JPG

My post is about the overall project.  My intent is to export to blu-ray.  The project was recorded in high def and requires more space than a DVD has.  The overall output quality on a test burn appears blurry and pixelated as well.  But I figured that if it was looking pixelated in Premiere Elements without any edits, I needed to address that before figuring out if I had export problems as well.

I will respond to your other questions a bit later today.  Thanks again for your ideas and observations.

Tsquared3

• 3. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tsquared3

Thanks for the reply.

Your screenshot in post 2 is consistent with you having the correct project preset for the source media that you described. So, that information takes care of my question in my prior thread

2. You wrote

When I select Render, it immediately starts playing the video because there are no changes to render.

This would suggest that you have selected the correct project preset for the project. What is it according to the readings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General?

Looking at the interlaced video aspects of this....Do you find that right clicking the file on the Timeline, selecting Field Options, and then Reverse Field Dominance has any impact on the video previewing quality or in the playback of the export?  In place of doing that, what is the troubleshooting result when you change the project preset to

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

HD 1080i30 (60i)

If this problem is seen before and after export for what you are doing, then consider the following Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HD720p30. Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, customize the preset to HD1080p30. See the following advanced export settings...

pe9JPG.JPG

It may be hard to see due to the contrast in the screenshot, but the Frame Width = 1920 and the Frame Height = 1080. Note that the export will be deinterlaced.

Please consider all the comments, and then we will determine what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                Tsquared3 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Here is information that you asked about.

I am still going through the details, but my first impression is that you are editing AVCHD.mts in a 32 bit application in the 32 bit mode of a 64 bit computer.

As such you are working with a high resource demanding format in the 32 bit computer environment with maximum supported installed RAM of 4 GB of which only about 3 GB or less of that are available. And you are working with 35 minutes of this format. How much free hard drive space does your computer have?

I have a 4 TB WD Black HDD that is mostly empty that I am using for disk space.  The scratch disks are configured to use this hard drive.

The MediaInfo output I referenced in my original post is for one of two video segments that comprise the project.  The two segments together are 2 hours long. There is something inconsistent with the MediaInfo output that indicates the first video is 35 min long. In reality that video clip is 1 hour long!

1 hour video.JPG

I now see that you are correct regarding 32 bit application.  The system requirements for Elements 9 did not specify, but starting with Elements 10 the documentation does indeed state that Elements is a native 32 bit mode application which will run in compatibility mode on a 64 bit system.  From your comments, it sounds like that means Elements cannot take advantage of the copious amount of RAM my system has available.  On the other hand, it seems to be able to keep 8 cores busy when encoding.

If you put aside the computer resources question...

1. Is this strictly a previewing issue or is this an overall project/program problem? If you export the Timeline content, what is the quality of the export - similarly flawed? (When exporting a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 content, please use export settings with the frame size 1920 x 1080 to avoid the dependency of the player reading a 16:9 flag of the 1440 x 1080.

I will try exporting using the 1920x1080 frame size that you recommend.  I will get back too you on the results of that.

2. You wrote

See previous response.

3. Your screenshot of the original show only one frame rate. And you are using a camcorder. So, there is not indication for a variable frame rate in this instance. If you were dealing with a variable frame rate, you would have seen three frame rates in the MediaInfo video properties readout. Typically camcorder are not devices that record with a variable frame rate.

Okay. So the Handbrake exercise I tried was not applicable to this issue.

4. Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 was particularly noted for its Display issues. By the way, are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program? If not, use the following link for the Update. Do not use the Help Menu/Updates for the update to 9.0.1.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Have you gotten any display card errors even if you have your video card/graphics card driver version up to date. For that the solution is likely to be deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file. ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

I had tried updating from the Help Menu / Updates previously and it did not work.  I just updated using the link you provided and it worked fine.  The video is still pixelated, however.

Also, I have not observed display card errors.

Thanks,

Ted

• 5. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                  Tsquared3 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Continuing with your most recent post:

Looking at the interlaced video aspects of this....Do you find that right clicking the file on the Timeline, selecting Field Options, and then Reverse Field Dominance has any impact on the video previewing quality or in the playback of the export?  In place of doing that, what is the troubleshooting result when you change the project preset to

NTSC

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

HD 1080i30 (60i)

I actually did try reversing Filed Dominance because I read about that somewhere in the help.  The video quality got worse, with horizontal lines appearing during playback.  However, I have not tried exporting with the Reverse Field Dominance.  I will try that and get back to you with those results.

I believe I have previously tried the project preset configuration and did not get improved results, but I can certainly try that again.

If this problem is seen before and after export for what you are doing, then consider the following Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HD720p30. Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, customize the preset to HD1080p30. See the following advanced export settings...

pe9JPG.JPG

It may be hard to see due to the contrast in the screenshot, but the Frame Width = 1920 and the Frame Height = 1080. Note that the export will be deinterlaced.

I will try the "Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HD720p30" as well and report back.

Thank you for the creative ideas.

Tsquared3

• 6. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Tsquared3

Thanks for the follow up with important troubleshooting information.

Good news seems to be the placement of the scratch disc and the amount of free hard drive space available to them. You are not dealing with variable frame rates. HandBrake can be used to deal with problem media issues beyond variable frame rate. So, conversion with it can be a good diagnostic tool.

In spite of your impressive computer environment, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system, with all the limitations of the 32 bit system mentioned previously - maximum supported installed RAM 4 GB of which 3 or less GB of that are available.. So we cannot overlook that factor in all this, especially when you are editing high resource demanding format. But, we will not let that cloud other aspects that might be contributing to the situation.

Just in case note: Premiere Elements Windows does not become a 64 bit application running on a 64 bit system unless you specifically have it installed on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit computer.

Now for the matter of clip duration. You point to two videos on the Timeline, total duration 2 hours. In your earlier MediaInfo and HandBrake screenshots, you point to clip one being about 35 minutes according to MediaInfo whereas it really you say that it has a duration of 1 hour. What is the duration of the 2nd video clip according to MediaInfo? And, what does Premiere Elements Properties show for duration for each of the imported clips? On what are you basing the expectation for a duration of 1 hour for each of the clips?

Please consider. We will be looking forward to learning of your results for tests in progress.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                      Joshann

I have this exact problem, but I don't see the solution to it here.  Does anyone know the solution?

• 8. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                        whsprague Level 4

Joshann  wrote

I have this exact problem, but I don't see the solution to it here.  Does anyone know the solution?

This topic is old and about an old version.  Can you be more specific about what you are doing and what you are doing it with?

• 9. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'd recommend you start a new thread. The solution is very easy and obvious.

• 10. Re: Why does video look clear when paused and pixelated during playback?
                            Joshann Level 1

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Steve+Grisetti  wrote

I'd recommend you start a new thread. The solution is very easy and obvious.

I will.  Thank you very much!