2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 2:04 AM by chrisk39776543

Very Poor quality from Adobe Premiere Elements 13

chrisk39776543 Level 1

Hi,

I'm a Gaming YouTuber and am making videos most of the week. Currently I'm working on an episode of Alien Isolation.

The current episode and the last episode both come from the same video file. Last episodes quality

was beautifully, but with the same settings I can't get anywhere near the same quality.

I have a preset which I use to render all my videos and it's usually great, but today it just won't work.

The preset is: AVCHD

Export Settings: VBR, 1 Pass, Target Bitrate 8, Max Bitrate 11. Render at Max depth ticked.

Audio: AAC, 48000 Hz, Stereo, Quality High, Bitrate 192 with a Bitrate precedence.

Multiplex MP4 and Standard.

This would give a file size of 1782MB,

I use this for all my videos but today the quality is horrendous.

Also I notice sometimes I'll import my channels branding video and the quality is good, or bad even before it is rendered, and if

the quality is bad in the preview, then it is always bad after rendering. This is what is going on this time. The source video looks

really bad in the preview, and when rendered turns out really bad. It's like something is going wrong when Premiere is importing

the file.

I've had this issue before, but that was when I used to use Shadowplay to record which used a variable frame rate which always

made video in premiere look really bad.

The episode is due up tomorrow so I'm hoping I can get this sorted today.

Thanks Neon

• 1. Re: Very Poor quality from Adobe Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Neon

Let us start with Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system and have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

To your immediate issue...

1. What are the properties of your source video...

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

Are you sure you are still not recording with a variable frame rate?

2. Companion question for "1", what is your project preset which is supposed to be matching the properties of your source file?

The above is just the preface for those export settings. Are you sure that none of the project settings or the recordings have unknowingly changed? Who is setting the project preset, you or the project? If the project, then check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to assure that the project did not give you the wrong project preset this time. Then you set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project - Change Settings). Details to follow if necessary.

AVCHD is a choice under Publish+Share/Computer/. It is not one of the presets under Presets. What are you selecting for the Presets field - MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 or something else? I would suggest considering increasing the bitrate under the advanced export settings but you already have a file size of about 2 GB with your present target and maximum bitrates. But you can do a mini test run to determine if increasing the bitrate would give you the quality, if not the file size, that you seek.

Further details to follow based on the details in your reply.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Very Poor quality from Adobe Premiere Elements 13
            chrisk39776543 Level 1

Hi,

Here's a MediaInfo xml file from the source video from above.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wv1osuaca7a091b/alien%20isolation%20media%20info%20file.xml?dl=0 http://

I setup the preset, and no, no else uses my computer, I live alone.

The preset I setup under AVCHD was mp4 1920 x 1080  30 fps, then I defined the advanced optinos for the preset as

above. This normally creates a lovely video for YouTube, however this time it wouldn't.

As for project settings, I followed the Project Help in Project Settings, which said "If you specify lower-quality settings for output

(such as streaming web video), do not change your project settings. Change your export settings instead."

On Project settings once the project is created (as this is) there is no way to change any of it's settings in the Project

Settings menu as all options are greyed out, except for Maximum Bitdepgth which I did not have ticked.

So I set it all during export. ie I like a 30 min vid to be around 2Gb which is nice for Youtube.

Normally my bit depth on export is 8/11 but after such poor quality I increased it to 11/13 and the

quality was no better. This is when I decided to post a question as increasing the bit depth had no effect.

So then I increased the exported bit depth to  to 13.86 / 15.36, and the quality did nott improve not one jot!

It's puzzling since the last episode was great and was build from the exact same source video. It was an hour

long and I only needed 30 mins, so it's made two episodes. First was great quality, but this is really bad.

I'm stumped, because nothing has changed on my system, or in APE settings.

Hope you can help.

Thanks

Chris