18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 6:17 PM by derekb27570637

Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working

derekb27570637 Level 1

I recently installed Lightroom 6 on Windows 10.  The program seems to run fine with the exception of the Print module.  The module worked the first time I tried to use it.  Since then, every time I try to activate it, the program immediately stops working, and Windows forces me to close the program.  I tried reinstalling but it did not help (although I did not uninstall beforehand).  All my system drivers are current, and Windows and Lightroom are updated. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi derekb,

Please post the crash log.

Open Control Panel << Go to Administrative tools << Open Event Viewer

event_log_01.png .

event_log_02.png

Please post the complete error message.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
            derekb27570637 Level 1

Hi Mohit.  The complete error message from the crash log is as follows:

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.2.1.10, time stamp: 0x561477b9

Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000000000006dd27

Faulting process id: 0x24a4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d11c746e79fef6

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\MSVCR120.dll

Report Id: 1ba150c5-ddd6-4285-830d-f01b06812051

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
              derekb27570637 Level 1

Hi Mohit. The complete error message from the crash log is below. Thanks for your help.

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.2.1.10, time stamp: 0x561477b9

Faulting module name: MSVCR120.dll, version: 12.0.21005.1, time stamp: 0x524f83ff

Faulting process id: 0x24a4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d11c746e79fef6

Report Id: 1ba150c5-ddd6-4285-830d-f01b06812051

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                Brett N Adobe Employee

Errors occurring due to MSVCR120.dll can have a few different causes. Generally, they are due to third-party conflicts, something additional that you've installed that has modified how this file is supposed to work. This can come in the form of plug-ins for Lightroom or standalone applications that otherwise seem to have nothing to do with Lightroom. Since the issue occurs when going to the Print module, do you have any custom print presets, perhaps some that you may have downloaded to add to Lightroom? Another thing to look at is if you have a secondary printer, try making that the default printer and see if Lightroom Print works then.

Other things to try are to reset the application preferences, to return Lightroom back to default settings. See Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom 5 (change the version number to 6 when looking up files).

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                  derekb27570637 Level 1

H Brett.  I searched for solutions to this issue before reaching out on the forum.  I have tried all the above, and no luck.  Print module still causes the program to stop working, and windows forces a shut down of the app.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                    Brett N Adobe Employee

Have you tried a new catalog or running Lightroom from a new OS user account?

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                      Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

You can try and replace the faulty DLL file with the correct one.

Refer Link: Error: "Unable to start correctly (0Xc000007b)"

Please try Solution one.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                        derekb27570637 Level 1

Hi Mohit.  Unfortunately, the problem is still persisting.  What I can't understand is Lightroom 5 (v.5.7.1) works fine so I can't see it being a Windows 10 issue.  Print module causes no issue whatsoever.  However Lightroom 6 (v.6.2.1) stops working when I use the Print module.  I have tried solution 1 and 2 in the list you provided.  I even tried a system restore this morning.  I still get the following error log:

Faulting process id: 0x1ff0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d11d3e9a525654

Report Id: c55a5f5e-34e4-4985-b8d0-f0cf0f29682f

Any other suggestions?

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                          Brett N Adobe Employee

The document that Mohit provided does have repaired versions of some MSVCR DLL files. But not from 120, which is the one encountering the error here.

Try forcing the use of a different copy of this file. If you remove MSVCR120.dll from the Lightroom folder (path is included in the error message), then when Lightroom tries to send calls to the file it will revert to the OS copy of the file.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to try rolling Lightroom back to 6.1.1. The current version 6.2, has a number of known bugs. The update 6.2.1 fixes some of these, but there are still some that occur. I haven't seen this behavior with anyone else running this version, but anything is possible. Instructions for roll back are here: Roll back to a prior update version

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                            derekb27570637 Level 1

Hi Brett.  I tried the rollback to 6.1.1.  The print module still freezes the app, but appears to be a different DLL now.  Log is below.  Appreciate what advise you might have.

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.1.1.10, time stamp: 0x55aed83a

Faulting module name: MSVCR110.dll, version: 11.0.50727.1, time stamp: 0x5011a017

Fault offset: 0x000000000006d75f

Faulting process id: 0x1e84

Faulting application start time: 0x01d11e2d8449114e

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR110.dll

Report Id: 94222f4c-550b-4246-9cfc-4a0b90420c04

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                              derekb27570637 Level 1

Brett.  To follow on the above, I updated again to v6.2.1 to see what would happen.  The error is now with the MSVCR120 file.

Faulting process id: 0x274c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d11e32e5058041

Report Id: e3a1b366-7779-4557-a4fa-ae37f247f136

So I then pulled it out of the Lightroom path to have it default to the OS version.  Error message is now:

Faulting process id: 0x1e00

Faulting application start time: 0x01d11e335448b2f1

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR120.dll

Report Id: 41d69ac9-e5a5-4484-9770-2db79a739ede

I then tried to address by repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2012.  No luck.  Should I uninstall and reinstall Visual C++?  I am at a total loss and getting incredibly frustrated.  Version 5.7.1 was flawless.  I bought v6 for the additional features, but am now questioning that decision.

Appreciate your help as always.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                Brett N Adobe Employee

Strange that rolling back changed to a different DLL file. I notice that in both cases it is looking at the system copy of the DLL. Here are a couple things to try:

1. We just released Lightroom 6.3 today. Try it to see whether or not it is working.

2. Install Lightoom 5 on this system and verify whether or not it works.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                  derekb27570637 Level 1

Hi Brett.  Installed Lightroom 6.3.  Still crashes on the Print module.  I have Lightroom 5.7.1 already installed on my computer, and the program works fine.  Error log for 6.3 is as follows:

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.3.0.10, time stamp: 0x564260ef

Faulting process id: 0xdb0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1219100de0908

Report Id: 67e2867a-e8a4-4b23-8cd0-509d5ba17227

I also tried removing MSVCR120 from the Lightroom path to default to the OS version.  Still crashes.  Error log is as follows:

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.3.0.10, time stamp: 0x564260ef

Faulting process id: 0x6cc

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1219162b18102

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCR120.dll

Report Id: 229c0cbb-f1a3-41b8-8a86-5fbd1e8de47d

• 14. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                    Brett N Adobe Employee

Strange, so whatever it is is just in Lightroom.

Do you have any added print templates? If you go to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Print Templates, is there anything in this folder other than another folder called "User Templates" (which is there by default)? We want both of these to be empty if possible.

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                      derekb27570637 Level 1

I don't have this path in my users folder. 

• 16. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                        derekb27570637 Level 1

Good morning Brett.  As a follow up to my post, last night I tried the following.

I uninstalled Lightroom entirely and reinstalled 6.0 as if I was rolling back.  However, I then upgraded to 6.3 directly.  I then let Lightroom index my entire picture catalogue for facial recognition.  Took the better part of the night.  This morning, all modules including the Print module appear to be working.  I have no explanation for this, given I did a complete uninstall multiple times before (with various combinations of reinstall/upgrade) and I had upgraded from 6.2.1 to 6.3 prior to doing the full uninstall/reinstall.

I tried the Print module, and got the initial start up tips, and everything works fine.......so far.  Remember, the Print module worked the first time I used 6.2.1 as well, then started crashing the program.  Hopefully this will not start happening again with 6.3.  I will leave this thread open for a couple of days longer and if Lightroom behaves, will close it.

Do you have any idea what fixed this issue other than divine intervention?

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                          Brett N Adobe Employee

If everything was done the same way as previously, then I can't imagine why the behavior would change. Computers...

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6 print module causes lightroom to stop working
                                            derekb27570637 Level 1

I know the feeling.  Seems to be fine.  Thanks for your help.