11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2015 10:46 AM by b@man23

System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015

b@man23

I have a Dell XPS 8700 desktop system running Win 10.  it has an intel core i7-4790 (3.6gHz) CPU, 12GB RAM, and NVIDIA GT720 (1GB) Graphics Card.  Which would be the better upgrade path for better performance with AE and Premier Pro, 32GB RAM, or a better (2GB) Graphics Card?  Also, any recommendations for the upgrade? 

• 1. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
          dissidently Level 2

More RAM. All day long. Every day.

• 2. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also, how many and what kind of hard drives?

• 3. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
              RjL190365 Level 4

I recommend multiple upgrades in this order:

1) Upgrade from 12GB to 16GB of RAM. But you will likely have to replace all of your system's pre-installed DIMMs with two 8GB DIMMs installed with one empty DIMM slot between the two DIMMs for optimal performance. If you install the two new DIMMs next to one another, the CPU's memory controller may be forced to run in single-channel mode instead of dual-channel, which does degrade performance in Premiere.

2) Add a 256GB or larger SSD and configure that as your system's OS drive. Your system, as configured, includes only a single disk – a 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive that's far slower than any SSD. Also, add another 7200 RPM hard drive (2TB or larger) for your media and projects drive, and reassign the existing 1TB hard drive for previews and exports.

3) Finally, upgrade that GT 720 to a GTX 950 or GTX 960. You see, the GT 720 is really lousy as a GPU for Premiere, especially if you are going to utilize the MPE GPU acceleration mode. The GT 720 uses the lousy GK208 Kepler GPU that's crippled to only 192 CUDA cores, and is hobbled by its 64-bit DDR3 graphics memory interface with a maximum theoretical throughput of an abysmally low 14.4 GB/second. The lower-end GTX 9## GPUs that I suggested use a 128-bit GDDR5 memory interface with a maximum theoretical throughput of over 100 GB/second (although with CUDA productivity apps the effective memory throughput will be capped to 96 GB/second due to issues between CUDA and Maxwell GPUs).

• 4. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                b@man23 Level 1

I have an additional 80g Sata that I use for scratch, and a 500g sata for rendered files. Both 7200 rpm, but neither of these are new, just drives I had already.

• 5. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                  b@man23 Level 1

so don't do 32gb Ram? 

• 6. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                    dissidently Level 2

If you don't have an SSD, the best thing to do is just 16GB of RAM and any cheap, fast SSD you can get with whatever money you have left.

• 7. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                      RjL190365 Level 4

You may do 32GB of RAM, but only after you upgrade and add multiple current-generation disks (each of which is capable of achieving sustainable physical transfer speeds of 200+ MB/second on the outer tracks of the spinning disk) plus SSDs. If on the other hand you're planning to stick to just the single 1TB HDD for absolutely everything (or if you're still planning to add those two very old HDDs that can't sustain transfer rates above 70 to 90 MB/second no matter what), then the additional RAM will be a complete waste of money as far as Premiere is concerned. This is because your 80GB and 500GB disks are severely outdated.

• 8. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

b@man23 wrote:

so don't do 32gb Ram?

It really depends on how much you use AE, AE is very memory intensive.  If you primarily use Premiere you can get by with 16 GB and vice versa.

• 9. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                          b@man23 Level 1

I have ordered a Samsung EVO SSD 256GB for my main drive.  Additionally, I am thinking about catching a WD Black Drive (1TB) on sale.  So the next best move is to go to 16gb memory (2x8GB)?  Is that the best next move?  or would it be better to do 32GB (4x8GB)?   

• 10. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                            RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if 16gb is just a holdover to that 32gb, i would suggest going for the 32gb at once, in one 4x8gb kit. that way all the sticks will match. both the ram and hdd may benefit AE, but will also depend on if doing ram previews or disk cache in AE.

• 11. Re: System Upgrade Q for AE/PP CC 2015
                              b@man23 Level 1

I have installed the 256 GB Samsung EVO 850 as my main drive.  I have installed 32GB (4 x 8GB) Ripjaws RAM.  It seems that things are definitely quicker.  I am now researching the graphics card update.  The GTX 950 or 960!  Any further thoughts?  And thanks a bunch, everyone!!