4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 9:22 AM by Rick Gerard

Define the transform values for the reset button

CuraMarketing

Hi,

is there a way to define the standard values of a specific layer, so I can easily undo all my changes with the reset transform button?

I need this for a character rig, so I can define my starting position and when I need to go back to the starting pose I just click reset on the transformation of the controlers.

kind regards

Christian

• 1. Re: Define the transform values for the reset button
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Reset is based on the default values for your layers. If you created your character as a layered file maintaining layer sizes and you reset position the layer will go back to the center of the comp. The only work around that I can think if would be to create an animation preset for the home or rest position of your characters. You'll need a separate animation preset for each layer. If you are using expression controllers and are controlling your motion by animating sliders then you could write value + in front of your expression so when the controllers are at zero (reset for most) the original value for the property would be returned. The best way to do this efficiently depends entirely on your character rig and your workflow. Since I can only guess what you are doing these are the best suggestions I can make for now.

• 2. Re: Define the transform values for the reset button
            CuraMarketing Level 1

I use Null Objects to Control for Example the Arm. I have moved the Nulls roughly in place over the hand,foot,etc. And now I want a method to remember the strating position for these nulls and return it to this position with the click of a button (simillar to the reset button on the transform values)

• 3. Re: Define the transform values for the reset button
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE does not have rest positions as used in rigging in 3D programs. Your best bet would be to lock values with expressions if necessary or use a dummy keyframe outside the actual animation span that you can copy&paste as needed. otherwise you will need to simply be careful.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Define the transform values for the reset button
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Animation preset for the nulls or a dummy keyframe that you can copy and paste. You just have to be careful. The only other option would be to set up expressions to lock the at rest position set the at rest. That's what I meant by using value + arguments in the expressions. I haven't got time to write one for you and I don't know if the null is a parent or a child.