10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 2:16 PM by nz51610221

text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering

nz51610221

Hello,

I have a very frustrating problem, and would very much appreciate your insight about it.

I have created a video work, which is based on both text and images, but mainly text. This work is meant to be projected on a wall/screen (and will be   shown on Vimeo and Youtube), thus the size is: 1800px X 2850px.

I have tried to render this work in varied ways (both in After Effects and Media Encoder): H.264, lossless, VBR, 2 pass, target 18.50 Mbps; unchecked Frame Blending; checked Use Maximum Render Quality. I also tried to render it straight to Vimeo preset. Yet, although the images are clearly sharp, the text shrinks significantly and is completely jagged (the size of the typeface is 50px). Furthermore, and this is perhaps the most important thing, the text loses its proportion in relation to the frame size. Means it is smaller than it should be.

Since there are many animation components to the text, and about 50 layers, I wish I could find a way to render the file without the need to re-build the whole work again in lower res.

Any ideas, where my mistake is?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

WE know nothing about your comp nor anything about your system or your version of AE. The best guess therefore would be that you are using a wrong 3D camera view or have a text animator applied that is behaving in unexpected ways...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering
            nz51610221 Level 1

AE cc 2014.

system: OS X 2.5 GHz Core i5.

As I wrote, its a sequence which is based on both text and images, but mainly text. Text animator is truly applied on many of the layers.

I thought that perhaps its about the scale of the comp (I need these dimensions, since this work is going to be projected on screen, yet it is also going to be shown on Vimeo). But then, if so, why the text is relatively shrinking more and loses its proportions?

Again, I wonder if there is a way to maintain the size of this comp and find a way to render it without loosing size, proportion and sharpness of the text.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's how to show us what is going on. Select your composition in the Project Panel so that the comp info is showing. Select the text layer that is giving you problems in the timeline and then press the U key twice to show us all modified properties. Take a screenshot of the entire project. Drag the screenshot to the Reply field of this forum so we can see what's going on. Give us a detailed description of your workflow. I don't know what you mean by scale of the comp. If you nested one comp in another and you are scaling that comp up then you must turn on Collapse transformations to keep the text sharp. If you are scaling down the comp then there is a minimum size for text that you must respect to make it readable in a video. The only reason that you would have pixelated text in a project would be incorrect workflow so until we know the details it's impossible to point out the errors and suggest a solution.

• 4. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering
                nz51610221 Level 1

Unfortunately, I have this issue with all text layers, and the sequence is based on both texts and images (mainly text). There are no nesting compositions that I scale then down or up, and the text is directly typed.

I tried to resize one text layer (scale down to 1080X1710), while rendering it, but the text is still small and pixelated.

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 12.06.58.png

• 5. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering

The only thing I see is that the comp is an odd size. I still no nothing about a text layer or your workflow. I don't understand scaling down when rendering? How are you doing that. How are you delivering the project? The only layer selected is a movie that isn't in the timeline and I can't see the modified properties of the text layer visible in your comp but the text looks good in the Comp Panel. You are going to have problems compressing white text, especially san serif, against a black background. You need to adjust the color of the text and or the background to give video compression a chance to do a good job. White text on black is especially difficult when there are fine lines in the text.

More details and the intended delivery format for your project would help. Generally, unless you are an expert you should be using standard composition presets for all your comps. None of the dimensions that you have used or stated are standard.

• 6. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering
                    nz51610221 Level 1

Thank you. Here is another screen shot.

I understand that the dimensions are not standard, but I did have good results in a previous work that its dimension were similar, and the only difference was that no animation applied onto the text.

Scaling down while rendering was one of my rendering attempts to resolve this problem. Since I have so many text layers and I wouldn't want to re-build the whole sequence, I tried to resize one of the text layers as a test, but the results were the same.

The project is meant to be viewed both on Vimeo and as a projection on a screen (thus the dimensions).

I will try to change the color, thanks for the tip.

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 13.38.21.png

• 7. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering

Here is what I would do.

1. Create a new your using the standard HD precset
                      2. Nest your oversize comp in the standard comp
                      3. Fix the color problem  with your background and text players
                      4. Consider changing the font  or adding a stroke to fatten up the thin parts
                      5. Turn collapse transformations on for your nested comp.
                      6. scale or reposition the  nested comp so the animation works
                      7. Render your comp using the Adobe media encoder her and the matching Vimeo preset
                      8. Use your standard Vimeo file as the source for your projector.
                      There you go. Vimeo  Will resize anything that is not standard and recompress it so you will lose any advantage you have with a odd sized composition and then less you have a very odd projector the maximum  playback size will either be HD or a standard higher resolution frame size. If you're animation is supposed to be vertical instead of horizontal the rotate the nested comp 90° so that it is sideways.
                      I hope there are not too many typos because this reply his reply was written by Siriew
                      • 8. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering
                        nz51610221 Level 1

Many thanks, I will follow your advice. Do you expect any problems with the animation (each text layer is animated, and there are about 50), or any issues with re-positioning while I nest my current comp in the standard comp?

• 9. Re: text is jagged and smaller than it should be after rendering

That all depends on your project. It might be better to scale the comp with the script but I couldn't know that unless I had a copy of the project or at least a good understanding of what you were trying to accomplish.