6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 6:51 AM by nabittened

Director crash

nabittened
      Hi, to play my movies in a director film, I create an parent-script object (and put it in the actorlist to check when the movie has finished). So far, everything is working fine. Only when I try now to change the size of the Sprite containing the quicktime member, Director quits with a fatal error. any suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Director crash
          nabittened Level 1
          After trying around in a test environment I found the problem. Somehow it is not possible to move the Sprite (locH, locV) AND change its size. As this worked in former environments i believe in a bug but for the moment I'm fine with the solution
          • 2. Director crash
            nabittened Level 1
            after further trying the app and testing it on several machines the problem reappeared. Somehow it feels like a performance issue. the times when mx 2004 had a performance problem playing a video (like 300 mb,...) version 11 decides to hang completely. I have searched the internet up and down and fell somehow lonely with my problem. Really nobody else that ran into this bug?
            Anyway, we have this application that relies on Director, so we got the trial version of director 11 in order to look if we will run in trouble upgrading the whole thing.

Unluckily we did and I cannot see the solution, trial period also expires, so what shall I recommend now.

1. Migrate the app to another platform?
            2. Buy the upgrade and hope that a future release will fix the problem?
            3. keep running with mx 2004? - on the one hand I don't really need any new functionality of 11 (if there is any concerning video playback), on the other hand I guess Adobe states that it is not fully compatible with Vista, but has anyone ever run into problems with mx2004, vista and video-playback?

@ the moment I don't know, any suggestions, any insight?
            • 3. Re: Director crash
              Level 7
              nabittened wrote:
              > Sprite(131).locH = gEnv.links + 512
              > Sprite(131).locV = gEnv.oben + 384
              >
              > -- if this is commented out, everything works fine
              > Sprite(131).width = 1024
              > Sprite(131).height = 768

You could try a different way:

newRect=rect(0,0,1023,767)+point(gEnv.links + 512, gEnv.oben + 384)
              sprite(131).rect=newRect

(There could be an off-by-one error there.)

Andrew

• 4. Re: Director crash
                nabittened Level 1
                hi Andrew,

above all thanks for the reply, I did a test and this actually seems to work, just leaves me with some extra-work on positioning the movie on the screen (as the center-regpoint method coded above does not work with the rectangle)

So, I see light at the end of the tunnel, just wondering, can you explain why this does not crash? or why the other code crashes?
                • 5. Re: Director crash
                  Level 7
                  nabittened wrote:
                  > hi Andrew,
                  >
                  > above all thanks for the reply, I did a test and this actually seems
                  > to work, just leaves me with some extra-work on positioning the movie
                  > on the screen (as the center-regpoint method coded above does not
                  > work with the rectangle)
                  >
                  > So, I see light at the end of the tunnel, just wondering, can you
                  > explain why this does not crash? or why the other code crashes?

With Director, there's usually about nine ways to do something, the trick is
                  to find one of the three that actually works...

(I suspect that a fundamental property of a sprite is its .quad, and from
                  there to its .rect, and somewhere the code that goes from .locH, .width,
                  etc. to .rect is flaky. ICBW.)

Andrew

• 6. Re: Director crash
                    nabittened Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

With Director, there's usually about nine ways to do something, the trick is
                    to find one of the three that actually works...

(I suspect that a fundamental property of a sprite is its .quad, and from
                    there to its .rect, and somewhere the code that goes from .locH, .width,
                    etc. to .rect is flaky. ICBW.)

Andrew

1. if I ever heard a statement of Director describing the app this is the one that is really true

2. Might be something like this. What I don't understand is that this is not the first time I user this code ;) In fact I use it since something like MX or earlier and never had any problem. Things like that are not good for the confidence. If there's one thing I don't need, it's bug-reports to a problem I knew of and thought of it to be fixed.

3. Anyway, have a working version now to present to my boss. thx muchly for your help.