2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2006 2:39 PM by bbiswatching

Actionscript 3 support actionscript 2?

hanct2002
      Hi
      I would want to ask whether if currently, all the object, functions, classes in actionscript 2 can be rewritten in actionscript 3?
      E.g (its just an example), actionscript 2 have Math class, and actionscript 3 also has Math class??

Hope everyone here can understand what I mean. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Actionscript 3 support actionscript 2?
          Level 7
          hanct2002 wrote:
          > I would want to ask whether if currently, all the object, functions,
          > classes in actionscript 2 can be rewritten in actionscript 3?
          > E.g (its just an example), actionscript 2 have Math class, and actionscript 3
          > also has Math class??

Some things in ActionScript 3.0 are exactly the same. Other things are
          very different. The Math class is one part that is common to both
          languages, but converting scripts from AS2 to AS3 is not trivial. It's
          rather like the difference between a children's novel and a university
          textbook. They're both written in the same language, but a world apart.

Take a look at the ActionScript 3.0 Language Reference and Programming
          ActionScript 3.0:

http://livedocs.macromedia.com/labs/as3preview/langref/
          http://livedocs.macromedia.com/labs/as3preview/docs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

--
          David Powers
          Adobe Community Expert
          Author, "Foundation PHP for Dreamweaver 8" (friends of ED)
          http://foundationphp.com/
          • 2. Re: Actionscript 3 support actionscript 2?
            bbiswatching
            From the little I seen of actionscript 3 by experimenting with it, David Powers statements are right, which is quite unfortunate.

Flash 5 came around I learned Actionscript 1. Flash 2004 came out I had to learn Actionscript 2, now I have to learn Actionscript 3.

I believe the flash development team has it wrong, it's not a matter of learning new comcepts or tricks to coax the application to do certain things. For example about 2 years ago I started working on a Flash based CRM... When Actionscript 3 for flash is released my question will become do I continue developing my CRM application in Flash 8's Actionscript 2... or do I attempt to migrage my whole application an application comprised of about 125 MC and 47 Actioncript files Flash??, or do I migrate to a totally different development environment?

I believe the Coldfusion developement team understands the needs of the developer much better, when the Java based Coldfusion 7 was released, not much of old stuff changed, as a matter of fact most of my coldfusion 4 applications run under Coldfusion 7.

From a Flash business application developer's perspective, yes there are a few of us (very few though - jut a bit of sarcasm) it's unfortunate the Flash development team decided to deliver a different product instead of building on the old.