13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 10:43 PM by D Fosse

JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

SoCal Canon Shooter

When rendering Jpgs, they never look the same when displayed in the OS file manager "Explore" and IE Explorer as they do in LR or Photoshop. The images are over saturated and reddish when compared to the screen while working in either LR or PS.

• 1. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The application you name for viewing the images are not color managed whereas LR and PS are.

Do you export as sRGB?

What is the type of your display?

Is your display calibrated?

For testing, please reset the display profile used in Windows to the sRGB profile and see what this changes.

• 2. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color
            SoCal Canon Shooter Level 1

Thanks for your reply! I am aware that the applications are not color managed. I do export as sRGB. I have a Dell 2407 WFPb monitor. I calibrated it with an old Spyder 2. Where do I reset the display program? in Windows 7 or in LR / PS?

• 3. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SoCal Canon Shooter wrote:

When rendering Jpgs, they never look the same when displayed in the OS file manager "Explore" and IE Explorer as they do in LR or Photoshop. The images are over saturated and reddish when compared to the screen while working in either LR or PS.

If you're using a wide-gamut monitor then that's what's causing the over-saturation and intense red in non-color managed applications:

WIDE GAMUT ADOBE RGB LCD Monitors Screens Troubleshooting Over Saturated sRGB Color Reviews on the Web Tutorial

• 4. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The Dell 2407 WFPb is, as far as I can tell,  a wide gamut monitor.

With these monitors, non-color managed applications will display images over saturated. AFAIK, there is no fix for this, other than only using color managed apps to view your images.

Web browsers have limited color management, but most of them understand sRGB. The exception is IE, which claims to be color managed, but gets it all wrong, and displays images over saturated, even if they are sRGB.

• 5. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color
                  D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Per Berntsen wrote:

Web browsers have limited color management, but most of them understand sRGB. The exception is IE, which claims to be color managed, but gets it all wrong, and displays images over saturated, even if they are sRGB.

That's because it substitutes the actual monitor profile with sRGB, absolutely the wrong monitor profile to use with a wide gamut monitor, by any standard. In fact it ensures that nothing displays correctly, ever, with any monitor (although it's most obvious with a WG one). That's quite an achievement...

There is one web browser that works perfectly with WG displays, and that is Firefox with color management set to mode 1. It even displays untagged material correctly, including graphic page elements. The simple trick is to assign sRGB to anything without an embedded profile, thus allowing the normal color management chain to operate and convert everything into the monitor profile for correct display.

This is an advantage even with a standard gamut display, because you actually have full color management in any scenario.

SoCal - you should also be aware that the Spyder 2 was never a very good sensor to begin with, but with a wide gamut display it simply cannot be trusted at all. This generation of sensors were not made for wide gamut and could only be made to work in some special circumstances with the aid of complex correction matrices in the software. At the very least, get a newer sensor.

• 6. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color
                    That's quite an achievement...

Indeed.

Do you know anything about the Edge browser and color management?

I don't have Windows 10, and Google wasn't very helpful.

• 7. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

Thanks for your info. 2 Questions: Do LR & PS embed a profile when JPGs are rendered? What do you think of the X-rite i1?

• 8. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

In LR, choose sRGB as color space in the Export dialog.

In PS, if you use Save for web, check Convert to sRGB and Embed profile. (Don't use Export, it strips out the profile, and is useless)

Otherwise, make a duplicate of the source file, convert it to sRGB, and make sure that the profile is checked in the Save dialog when you save it.

As for your other question, I'll leave it to D Fosse to answer that, but my guess is that the X-rite i1 is perfectly all right.

• 9. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

Do you know anything about the Edge browser and color management?

No, but the current trend with Microsoft is not promising. The new "Photos" app, for instance, is not color managed, while the old "Windows Photo Viewer" was, and did a good job of it too. So it's not as if they don't know how. It must be a deliberate decision.

As far as web browsers go I'm perfectly happy as long as Firefox is still around. For anything else that I need to use and that isn't color managed, such as Windows Explorer, Outlook and so on, I just accept the wide gamut oversaturation and it doesn't bother me all that much.

In the rare cases where it becomes a problem, switching the monitor into sRGB emulation is just a click away with Eizo Colornavigator. It's usually not that easy with other calibration software, but there is usually a way to do it from the OSD controls. Of course that invalidates the monitor profile - but then you don't need that anyway, and it should be back to business as usual when returning to normal wide gamut operation with color managed apps - provided you don't change anything else along the way.

• 10. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

What do you think of the X-rite i1?

The i1 Display Pro (aka i1D3) is a superb sensor and generally regarded as the best all-round instrument on the market. That's the one I use on my Eizo CX240 - on the CG246 I use its built-in sensor which is a very high-end Konica-Minolta meter. Frankly I can't tell the difference between them.

The software I haven't used in a while. It's more in the "adequate" category, I remember there were things that annoyed me with it. But it works perfectly well - and in any case the sensor alone is worth the price. It's also supported virtually everywhere, so it's upgrade-proof in every sense.

• 11. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

Thanks to all responders for all your valuable help, I have much to learn about this topic! I guess it would be far too simple for all monitor makers and OS producers adopt a common standard for WG displays, lol.

• 12. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

Just to be clear here, when LR renders an sRGB jpg (per Export dialog), does it embed the profile like PS with the "Save for web option" ( "Convert to sRGB and Embed profile" checked) ?

• 13. Re: JPG Color not matching Lightroom color

Just to be clear here, when LR renders an sRGB jpg (per Export dialog), does it embed the profile like PS with the "Save for web option" ( "Convert to sRGB and Embed profile" checked) ?

Yes.

Lightroom's color management is more fool-proof than Photoshop's. Not as flexible, but much safer.