17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 7:13 AM by BobLevine

update fails

digitalgear Level 1

I have been having a problem installing an update to InDesign CC 2015 - I uninstalled the program and re-installed but the update to the re-install failed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

K2015-11-11_12-30-09.png

• 1. Re: update fails
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sometimes uninstalling all the programs, followed by using the Creative Cloud Cleaner will take care of this.

When I ran into this a few months ago (CC2014 on a mac), I had to creative a new user and install it there to solve the problem. (I then moved the rest of my stuff to the new user, and deleted the old one)

• 2. Re: update fails
            digitalgear Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion - I am trying to avoid removing all programs and re-installing as that is a major task. While I like the Adobe apps there seems to be a weakness in creating robust installers that work all of the time . . .

• 3. Re: update fails
              John Ellenberger Level 1

I am in the same situation and don't think its reasonable to have to reinstall the whole suite to fix it since InDesign is the only suite member that seems to have this problem.  The updates to the other programs seem to work just fine.

This is clearly an Adobe-caused problem.

• 4. Re: update fails
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That is not clear at all. There could be any number of reasons for this.

Uninstalling/reinstalling is a very simple task with Creative Cloud and if you've tried everything else, that's all you have left.

• 5. Re: update fails
                  John Ellenberger Level 1

Well I suppose it is easier than sitting there feeding CDs to the machine but it is time consuming and tedious and in my case it would take several hours, even with a fast connection not to mention that it is not clear it actually would fix the problem.  You seem to be speculating that it "may fix the problem."  As I said this only happens to In-Design.  In fact while this discussion was going on Adobe pushed a big Acrobat update that installed successfully on that same machine

What I don't understand is your comment that implies it's not an Adobe problem.  I am trying to apply an adobe update to adobe software using an adobe utility and it fails.  As I understand it my subscription I paying (through the nose) for support.  It is clearly their responsibility to provide updates that actually install successfully on my (fully up to date and very new) computer.

• 6. Re: update fails

I’m not implying anything. With computers there are literally millions of possible configurations and any one of them could be an issue.

What O/S are you running? Have you tried a new user account? If it works there, there is something corrupt in the current one.

A Windows utility I highly recommend is CCleaner which can be downloaded for free from CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

It does a good job of cleaning up the registry especially after software installs. Reboot the machine, run it and then try again.

If you're still dead set against the CC Cleaner Tool, then visit this forum: Downloading, Installing, Setting Up

Hopefully someone there can help.

• 7. Re: update fails
                      John Ellenberger Level 1
                      1. Tried the CC (3 times) and rebooted.  No effect on the problem
                      2. Tried update from inside the app and it failed (it just brings up the cloud panel anyway)
                      3. Uninstalled / Reinstalled just inDesign and got "Install Succeeded but Patch Failed".

So I conclude from this that they pushed a bad patch and that going through the process of installing the entire suite would not be likely to solve the problem IMHO. 

I'm just going to wait on Adobe since the app still works.

• 8. Re: update fails
                        digitalgear Level 1

Thanks for the tips however having to uninstall and then reinstall the entire Creative Cloud suite to fix the InDesign update failure issue seems to be a bit like taking a nuclear weapon to kill a fly - All other updates work fine only the InDesign one fails . . .

- I have uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled it using the stand alone installer/update. It completes and says that all is good. I reboot the system and the CC manager tells me I have an update for InDesign - I try to update and it tells me that the update failed.

- I have run CCleaner (not the Creative Cloud cleaner) to clean the registry before and after the above install - still get the update failure.

- Since InDesign is the only app with this problem it is logical to conclude that the installer team "goobered" something in the creation process of the update.

- I am not a novice on computers having used Windows since version 1.0 - it gets a little old to have tech support tell you will just start over with everything - in reality that is just an excuse for poor design and implementation in the software. A properly designed program should be able to keep itself "clean" and and install updates.

Note I am not trying to trash Adobe - I used to work for them - but why should I have to waste hours of MY time to resolve an issue I did not cause? In the Creative Suite days I suppose one could argue that it was the users fault but now with rolling updates and a monthly fee to use the software the responsibility rests on Adobe to get it right from the beginning otherwise the claimed advantages of the Creative Cloud is bogus . . .

• 9. Re: update fails
                          digitalgear Level 1

Update - I did so more testing - I uninstalled InDesign, turned off my anti-virus and reinstalled using the CC app manager. I then updated to Version 11.1.0.122 manually using the stand alone updater. Restarted the computer but now when the CC Manager runs it shows that an update to ID is available. It appears that the CC Manager is not functioning properly in identifying the installed update. The 122 version is the latest ID Version on my other computer which is not having the problem - hence the theory that the Manager is to blame not the update itself.

Thoughts?

• 10. Re: update fails
                            digitalgear Level 1

1 - The screen shots below show the installed version number

2 - The CC Manager indicated an update is available (but in reality it is up to date)

3) - The CC Manager about screen showing the Version number

ID_Ver_No.png

ID_Update_Notification.pngID_CC_Mngr_Version.png

• 11. Re: update fails
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you read the help article for the error code? Installation failed. Error U44M1P7 | Updates

• 12. Re: update fails

The update could be a DPS update and unless you're using that, you can ignore it. That said, if you click the What's new? link you should get a description.

• 13. Re: update fails
                                  digitalgear Level 1

Thanks for the link but I am getting error code:  U44M1P34

• 14. Re: update fails
                                    digitalgear Level 1

The What's New link does in fact show that it is a DPS update. I am not using it currently so it looks like InDesign is in fact up to date. Any idea why the CC Manager does not function with the DPS update? I know that Adobe did change the DPS system.

• 15. Re: update fails

No idea.

• 16. Re: update fails
                                        digitalgear Level 1

Thanks - I will check with a friend on the InDesign team and see if he has any ideas. Will post update if I get any new info.

• 17. Re: update fails

You’ll get way more help by posting in the Digital Publishing Solutions forum, but honestly, if you’re not a DPS customer there’s no reason to jump through the potential hoops.