7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 7:31 AM by Sue Garibaldi

Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?

Tino Loiacono

Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw. I created a file on my iPad with Adobe Draw and then sent it to Illustrator on my computer. Shortly after, I accidentally deleted the project from my iPad in Adobe Draw. Is there any way to get that file from my computer (Illustrator) back on to my iPad in Adobe Draw so that I can continue to work on it there?

• 1. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Tino,

That workflow isn't available for Draw. The only way to bring it into Draw would be as a Photo Layer and I know that's not what you want. A couple of things you can try.

By any chance were you offline when you deleted the project? If you were, the deletion may not have synced yet. Stay offline on your device, and sign into http://assets.adobe.com (Mobile Creations - Draw) on your desktop. If the project is there, open it and make some sort of edit (rename it), then, when your device goes back online, the new edit will cancel out the deletion and your project should sync back down to your device.

If the deletion has already made it back to the cloud and you can no longer find your project on assets.adobe.com, then if you have another device (phone or tablet) that has Draw installed, you can try taking that device offline, launch Draw, and make an edit to the project locally (rename it), then, when that device goes back online, the new edit will cancel out the deletion and your project should get re-uploaded back up to the cloud.

Let me know if those are possibilities.

Sue.

• 2. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?
            Tino Loiacono Level 1

Hey Sue,

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately all my devices were online and the deletion synced.

Oh well. That's life. I'm just glad that I sent it to Illustrator first so it's not completely lost.

• 3. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?
              travelingmindful Level 1

@Sue_Garibaldi: For what reason is this functionality absent from Draw? This feature seems not only incredibly useful, but would make common sense to be able to hand files to and from Draw to Illustrator or back again. Is the development of this feature unusually complicated due to the architecture of either Draw or Illustrator? Would be a wonderful feature to have, and I was so excited to finally open some of my AI files on Draw...

• 4. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?

TravelingMindful

I suspect it has something to do with the complexity of Illustrator and re-rendering those files in Draw. There are not only tons of styles but tons of features in Ai that make it far more complex an action than was intended for Draw.

That's not to say that the team(s) don't have the expertise nor does it mean that the capability to bring (editable) .ai files into Draw will never happen... it's just not something the team is currently working on.

That said, we get many requests for this functionality and I forward them all to the product team.

I hope that helps a bit.

Sue.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?
                  designclint

Well...make it a priority. This should not be called Adobe "Illustrator" Draw if it will not open .ai files from Native Adobe Illustrator. Huge dissapointment!!!!

• 6. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?
                    travelingmindful Level 1

I understand how complex it must be creating all of these features, especially when trying to build a new application which talks to another one (which was designed with or without that intention). I was thinking about it more and given the other tools (like the pen tool or building noded-polygons, etc), there are no equivalents for them in the Draw version, so this backwards compatibility is a lot more complex than I had thought initially.

The good news is many more customers are wishing to be able to have the robustness of AI features on their mobile device -- I know far easier said than done, but it would be sweet! Maybe someday! Thank you for your response!

• 7. Re: Is there anyway to send an Adobe Illustrator file to Adobe Draw?

TravelingMindful.

For sure people have begun using the drawing apps in ways that extend beyond our original intention. The teams do want to match app features with technological capability as well as with how people are currently using them (it's why customer conversations like these are important), but it's a balancing act... because they also want to evolve them in ways that are intentional and deliberate.

I know the changes don't always happen as quickly as people would like them to, but the teams are aware of, and consider, all comments and suggestions.

Anyway, thanks for posting. I share all these conversations with the product teams.

Sue.