8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2016 9:56 AM by mbsevans

Lightroom CC: text overlay not working as expected. Was fine in Lightroom 4. [Was: Congratulations Adobe!!!]

mbsevans

Well people at Adobe specifically those involved with Lightroom CC. You people need to take a bow...no just kidding not really...all of you deserve to lose your jobs actually.

I just plunked down what little money I do have available, to upgrade my Lightroom 4.X to your new CC version. It's bad enough that I discovered recently with the trial version that a feature I rely upon, "text overlay" which by the way, worked perfectly in 4.X...doesn't work worth a crap in the new version! And this issue still hasn't been fixed even though I see posts about the same problem in versions 5 and 6! That's over two years the same problem has existed! WTF is wrong with you Adobe!??

I won't even start on your piss poor support anymore with people that must be sitting 3 or 4 thousand miles away from me trying to deal with technical issues, that is just a complete joke in itself.

And even with all the after mentioned stuff here, CC runs like crap! Are you thinking about people who may have a system that's a couple years old. CC demonstrates piss poor performance! On my computer that ran the previous version just fine, CC is a complete dog! What is all the crap that's been added that's running and slowing everything down in the background, or is that even the problem ??Absolutely ridiculous!!

• 1. Re: Congratulations Adobe!!!
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How new is your computer?   Newer software is going to be taking advantage of newer features that may not be implemented in hardware if the computer is older.  The first thing to try is turn off the GPU in LR / Edit / Prefs / Performance.  It is there for monitors that are very high resolution.  If your video card isn’t the fastest, or if your video drivers aren’t the newest then it may be many times slower. 

Also newer programs take advantage of more and more memory.  If there isn’t very much memory it can cause issues.  Of course there are some people with very fast computers where LR runs very slowly and there is some bottleneck somewhere.  But the program, in general, works well for most people.  

Another thing LR CC does is face-detection which can bring a computer to its knees if the detection is running in the background for the entire catalog.  I think there is a question about whether to detect faces catalog-wide or not at the beginning.  If you answered Yes that’s probably going to be slow until it finishes.  You can pause Face Detection by hovering over the identity plate at the top-left and clicking on the little white triangle that appears, and you should see 2 or 3 items with pause/play icons. 

Pause Face Detection if it’s running and see if things speed up.

• 2. Re: Congratulations Adobe!!!
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

mbsevans wrote:

And even with all the after mentioned stuff here, CC runs like crap! Are you thinking about people who may have a system that's a couple years old. CC demonstrates piss poor performance! On my computer that ran the previous version just fine, CC is a complete dog! What is all the crap that's been added that's running and slowing everything down in the background, or is that even the problem ??Absolutely ridiculous!!

Works great here...

• 3. Re: Congratulations Adobe!!!
              mbsevans Level 1

what works great here?? Text overlay?? Try it, put a slide show together and a text overlay and render out video clip and see if the text is full opacity and no anti aliasing on text.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC: text overlay not working as expected. Was fine in Lightroom 4. [Was: Congratulations Adobe!!!]
                mbsevans Level 1

GOOD OLD ADOBE I CALLED TECH SUPPORT LAST FALL OCTOBER 2015 ABOUT THIS LONG RUNNING TEXT OVERLAY ISSUE. I SPOKE WITH A TECH SUPPORT WOMAN WHO LOGGED INTO MY HP MOBILE WORKSTATION WITH QUADRO K2000M AND PROCEEDED TO SPEND ALMOST AN HOUR REPEATING THIS TEXT OVERLAY ISSUE. SHE SAID SHE WOULD ESCALATE THIS CASE WHEN SHE CONFIRMED THIS IS A SOFTWARE ISSUE AND NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH MY LAPTOP, NOR SHOULD IT BE SINCE 4.4 WORKED JUST FINE IN THE PAST. I HEARD NOTHING SINCE LAST OCTOBER. I CALLED ADOBE TODAY AFTER CONFIRMING THAT THE LATEST VERSION 2015.4 STILL HAS THIS BUG. IM TOLD BY TECH SUPPORT TODAY THAT THERE IS NO RECORD ON MY FILE OF THIS TECH SUPPORT CALL LAST OCTOBER!! ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! AS I WRITE THIS ANOTHER TECH IS REMOTELY CHECKING THIS ISSUE. DOES ANYONE AT ADOBE CARE??????

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC: text overlay not working as expected. Was fine in Lightroom 4. [Was: Congratulations Adobe!!!]
                  mbsevans Level 1

ANd once again, nice job Adobe, I was told I would receive a follow up call in 2 days and it's been 4 days now. Wow! What a bang up job you people do!

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC: text overlay not working as expected. Was fine in Lightroom 4. [Was: Congratulations Adobe!!!]
                    mbsevans Level 1

As of today, we have another fantastic example of Adobe tech support ineptitude. I was called 4 days later, rather than 2 days max as I was told. That call was yesterday and it was a  completely useless phone call with the tech support representative reiterating what was already discussed last week. Today I get a phone call that they want to take control of my laptop and run some more tests and checks. I told them specifically I couldn't deal with the issue right at that time and call me back in exactly 10 minutes, I've been waiting an hour now absolutely ridiculous again way to go Adobe.

• 7. Re: Congratulations Adobe!!!
                      mbsevans Level 1

Well Keith I have waited for your answer to my question and nothing, thanks for very informative response "works great here" fantastic!

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC: text overlay not working as expected. Was fine in Lightroom 4. [Was: Congratulations Adobe!!!]
                        mbsevans Level 1

good job again Adobe! Good to see some attention and a reply to this thread! Shows some serious involve,net with your customer base and a sincere desire to sort out issues your customer base is informing you about! GOOD JOB!