Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Locate buttn - again

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2006 Nov 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thanks to your help, I have found the Locate button at the Windows Properties screen.
I am working on one of my other projects these days, and am embarraced to find out that its Windows Properties screen does not have the Locate button on it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Avi

P.S. is there a way to attach screenshots to this message?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avi.

Are you saying that the window properties dialog does not have the Locate option visible/available? If so, can you confirm you are using HTML Help (CHM) as your output format as other formats (e.g. Webhelp) don't have this functionality.

As far as attaching screen shots is concerned, this is not possible. If it is really required, you could FTP them to a URL for people to go to but most of the time we get by without this being needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colum,
I am using HTML Help, and the Window Properties screen differs from the one in the other HTML project of mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the Locate option:

a) Not even displayed in the window properties
b) Displayed but unable to be selected
c) Displayed and selected but not appearing in the window
d) Another option

Can you also confirm the version of RH you are using? Maybe this is one of those instances where an image IS required If you click on my profile you can email me a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its (a) and I am emailing you the screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avi. You are trying to generate two different output formats judging from the screen shots you've sent me. The first is for webhelp which does not support the same window options as HTML Help. Webhelp uses a skin to determine the buttons that are displayed. This is why the locate button does not display in your window properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Colum,
I stil don't get it: which of the products uses WinHelp? I double-click HTML Help for generating an output in both projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about not getting it. Most days are like that for me . OK I suspect I know the reason for this behaviour. Was Webhelp the primary single source layout when the window was added? if so, the window properties will not have the same options as a HTML Help window. You'll have to delete the window, make sure Microsoft HTML Help is your primary layout and add a new window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!
You are the best 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Colum and all

Just a couple of notes on this.

1. It really should make no difference that the WebHelp window types are left in the project. They should not interfere with anything, so there should be no need to delete them
2. If I remember the Locate button and what it is supposed to do, it synchronizes the displayed topic with the proper spot in the TOC when the user clicks it. (Well, that's what it is SUPPOSED to do I think - but I've never found it to be reliable - maybe it's just me) Anyway, WebHelp and FlashHelp actually do have a similar feature. We just don't see it often used. When generating these formats, we have the option of synchronizing the TOC Automatically (the default setting) or we can choose Manually. When we select Manually, we see an additional button (normally looks like a recycle icon) that is placed next to the X icon that closes the Navigation pane.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp