9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 8:03 PM by JacquesCornell

How to change grid view gray?

JacquesCornell

Is there any way to make the "slide mount" borders around thumbnails in grid view a darker gray or make them go away entirely? They're too darn bright, making it hard to see the actual thumbnails. Aperture's grid view is much more legible.

• 1. Re: How to change grid view gray?
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi JacquesCornell,

You can try and change the settings for Screen color.

Steps:

Open Lightroom

Go to Lightroom Preferences

Click on Interface

Change the Screen Color according to requirements

Restart the Lightroom

else, Go to Develop Module

Right Click on the around borders

Screen Color Lr.png

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: How to change grid view gray?
            JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks, but I was asking about grid view.

• 3. Re: How to change grid view gray?
              Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

I have tried tested the same, but there's no way to change the background color in Grid View.

You can add this as feature request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

~Mohit

• 4. Re: How to change grid view gray?
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

There are Five shades of grey (not 50!) for the image borders in the Grid view.

Having all images a 'Dark' grey would defeat the coding provided by the 5 shades.

I suggest just using larger thumbnails in the grid window.

ScreenShot237.jpg

"They're too darn bright,"  ??  Not in my system.

• 5. Re: How to change grid view gray?
                  JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks for clarifying that. When I posted, I didn't realize I had all images selected, so the borders were lighter than usual. But, even with the "normal" mid grey borders, I find the UI in grid view too busy and cluttered, distracting from the images. I'm new to LR, coming from Aperture, and frankly I hate the UI. Hard to read, cluttered, and, particularly in grid view, the UI distracts from the images. And, why is there no 3-up view? I rely on it for quick selecting event shots where I have lots of similars. Customizable keyboard shortcuts anyone? Hello? Any working photographers at Adobe? Argh! Curse Apple for dropping Aperture.

I'm sure I'll come to appreciate some of LR's features - like making HDR panoramas - but in terms of UI and organizing and selecting, it's a wreck, a weak and incomplete copy of Aperture. Where did Adobe get their UI designers? From the Windows XP team?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

This is going to be a hard transition. Maybe DxO's superior RAW processing will make it worthwhile.

• 6. Re: How to change grid view gray?

Cluttered....Grid view.

Press [ J ] to toggle views of info on the thumbnail borders.

3-up view?

Select 3 images, press [ N ] for Survey View. (Can view 2 or more, selected from the filmstrip, with N )

To hide side & top panels-  F5 F6 F7 F8

For keyboard shortcuts (specific to the active module)  press [CTRL+/ ]

• 7. Re: How to change grid view gray?
                      JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks! The [J] tip helps. It still doesn't look as good, but it's definitely useable now.

Three-up view in Aperture shows three images at a time: the selected one and the ones immediately before and after, all side-by-side. All 3 shift ahead as you click through with the right-arrow key. Great for selecting the best one out of a burst of near-identical images. LR's Survey view is very clunky at this, as you have to manually deselect the first thumbnail and then select the next one each time you want to advance to the next frame, and the 3 aren't displayed side-by-side.

The top & bottom panels are hiding (F5/F6), but the side panels aren't. ...Oh, the Tab key toggles the sides.

For keyboard shortcuts (specific to the active module)  press [CTRL+/ ]

That's [command+/]. And, the list doesn't even show the Function keys you referenced above. Is there no complete list?

I appreciate the info. This is going to take a while.

• 8. Re: How to change grid view gray?

That's [command+/].

Yes my bad! I only have used Windows-PCs and the Mac Command/Ctrl keys always confuse me. Maybe because Macs often have different functions for the F keys that Adobe don't show them in the LR Shortcut window.

Links to Keyboard Shortcuts-

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Keyboard shortcuts

Thank You for Your Subscription | Laura Shoe's Lightroom Training, Tutorials and Tips

Keyboard Shortcuts

And you can download the complete "Help" PDF file by a link at the top left of the screen at this site-

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Lightroom Help

Survey view is very clunky

Agree!

To ease the use of Survey view, Have the film strip visible, hold one finger on the command/ctrl ? key as you select or de-select images on the filmstrip with the mouse.

And F7 F8  - not working to hide/show the side panels- that must be a Mac thing! works for me.

But yes-  Tab works.

• 9. Re: How to change grid view gray?
                          JacquesCornell Level 1

Thanks again! I'm compiling a list of issues, questions, differences and omissions and will post all at once after I've spent more time getting familiar with LR.