3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 5:14 AM by lucywight

InDesign: Why have the guidelines shifted on one of the master spreads?

lucywight

Hi all,

I have a dilemma with some InDesign artwork which I've inherited from another designer.

There are a number of master spreads, all of which have folios and footers. (See below)

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.31.00.png

However, on one of these spreads, the guides and footer seem to have shifted upwards (but the folio hasn't) and I can't work out why! (see below)

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.31.13.png

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: InDesign: Why have the guidelines shifted on one of the master spreads?
          Chad Chelius Adobe Community Professional

I'd have to be clairvoiant to figure out how they got shifted, but I can tell you how to fix it. Somehow these guides were either improperly created or inadvertently modified after creation. To fix it, simply double click on the name of the master that has the incorrect guides. Now you can use Layout > Create Guides to regenerate the guide configuration from the other page. In this dialog box, you also have the ability to remove existing guides when you create the new ones. Another option is to double click on a master that contains the correct guide configuration and press cmd+option+G (Mac) ctrl+alt+g (Win) to select every guide on the master. Now return to the master that has the incorrect guide configuration, press the same keyboard shortcut and delete the guides, then choose Edit > Paste in place to paste the guides on the master in the same position as the guides from the good master.

• 2. Re: InDesign: Why have the guidelines shifted on one of the master spreads?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm purely guessing here, but it looks like the spread was dragged downward (and possibly slightly to the right) with the page tool (based on the vertical guides that end inside the page area). I'd also say this was deliberate, since the B master is based on A, so there would be no reason to create it if everything remained the same. What's different about the pages in the document based on these two masters?

• 3. Re: InDesign: Why have the guidelines shifted on one of the master spreads?
              lucywight Level 1

Thank you Chad and Peter! Using a combination of your answers I've been able to fix the master. (I think it was me who accidently moved the page, whoops!)