9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:19 AM by Jeffrey_Smith

exporting to .swf

tinap76901703 Level 1

Hi All,

I've created an Indesign file that incorporates images and when I export to .swf the images are blurred….regardless of the image type or size in the original Indesign document. Any ideas why?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: exporting to .swf
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

The 2 factors that will control quality of image when exporting .swf are size of presentation and resolution. These factors are determined at point of export, and supersede the size of your Indesign document and effective resolution of placed images.

• 2. Re: exporting to .swf
            tinap76901703 Level 1

Thanks for that speedy reply Jeffrey. I can change the dpi to 300 when I export but the file is then huge (I'm exporting a 20 page catalogue full of images). I keep asking it to export at 100% scale but when I open it up as an email attachment it fills the whole screen : (

• 3. Re: exporting to .swf

Are you creating a page-flip swf  for your catalog? If so, for distribution, attaching the swf to an email will probably not work. The file will be too large, and content could be blocked. You could post swf on a website, and then email link of hosted swf.

• 4. Re: exporting to .swf
                tinap76901703 Level 1

wow this is great_ thanks so much for your quick responses! Yes I'm creating a page turn effect and you are correct its for a website with only a link to it being being emailed.

• 5. Re: exporting to .swf
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You do realize that anyone with a mobile device will not be able to see it, right?

And there are also many people who don’t have Flash player installed on their computers. This is bound to be a major fail unless you have specific target audience that you know will be viewing on flash enabled devices.

• 6. Re: exporting to .swf
                    tinap76901703 Level 1

Interesting….so can you recommend a way of getting page transitions and .swf like attributes for mobile and non flash?

• 7. Re: exporting to .swf
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Honestly, what for?

It's nothing but a gimmick leftover from the '90s. Do it right.

Create the site in Muse or WordPress. This is not a job for InDesign.

• 8. Re: exporting to .swf
                        tinap76901703 Level 1

I thought Indesign was for publishing / producing literature? I have a website already and this will be an element within it. Its popular with my customer demographic, but thanks for the advice.

• 9. Re: exporting to .swf

I hear client requests for page flip solutions all the time. Even after the client is informed of any drawbacks, they usually go through with pursuing a flip book in some shape or form. There are plenty of ways to accomplish the end product, export, special utility, or online service provider. As well as plenty of means of distribution, including providing various alternative formats for mobile devices and tablets.

If its popular with your customer demographic, then by all means, there is absolutely nothing wrong with providing a flip book as another way of reaching your customer.