7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 9:11 AM by Utopia Creative Group

What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?

Nicolas Wall Level 1

I´m trying to export a Color Theme to use on Adobe Comp, but the RGB color  that show on the ipad is totally different to the one I see on my illustrator.

I´m using the FOGRA39 color profile on illustrator (thats the one we use in Argentina), is there any way to change the profile on the mobile app?

• 1. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Nicolas,

Currently the only color profiles available in the app are RGB and HEX; there are more on the web version at Adobe Color CC.

Hope that helps.

Sue.

• 2. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?
            Nicolas Wall Level 1

I tried to work with adobe comp and the color that Comp shows are not the same as the ones I see on Illustrator.

If I generate a CMYK and add it to the library, the RGB that Comp shows is not the same as the one on Illustrator. If I generate the correct RGB on Adobe Color CC, the CMYK will not be the same.

• 3. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?
              sophiep90755191

Hi Sue,

I am having trouble with this also. I followed the link you had in your post and it took me to the online Adobe Color CC, however I still can not find how to transfer my RGB colors into CMYK?

Thanks,

Sophie

• 4. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?

Hi Sophie,

Actually, you can access that information in the current version of Capture (v1.4.2324). Tap on any of your color themes. Then tap on Edit. On the next screen, you'll see across the top of the page: RGB, CMYK, LAB, HSB.

Hope that helps.

Sue.

• 5. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?
                  sophiep90755191 Level 1

Hi Sue,

Is capture only available for mobile devices?

Sophie

• 6. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?

Hi Sophie,

Yes. But if it's color themes you're after, there's Adobe Color CC  which is the web version of the "Colors" portion of the app.

Does that help?

Sue.

• 7. Re: What color profile does it uses to transform from RGB to CMYK?
                      Utopia Creative Group

This color stuff seems to be hard for a lot of people to understand and answer, even when it comes to people that work on this stuff at Adobe.

Scenario: From what I know of  my color management the values that are not supposed to change no matter the device or profile are the LAB values. (This is why Pantone went to a Lab system v.s. a CMYK System)

So if I take Lab values for a Pantone Color and enter it in Adobe Color website what profiles or "other" method is it using to calculate the CMYK, RGB, and HEX. I know if I take the same LAB value and enter it in Illustrator or InDesign the values will be different depending on what RGB and CMYK color profiles I have selected. AdboeRGB vs sRGB will give different numbers for RGB and GRACoL will give different numbers v.s SWOP or Sheetfed for CMYK.

So what I am trying to figure out is how Adobe CC calculates the values. What if any Profile or standard is it using? I have done comparison changing profiles and the numbers that are given by Adobe Color are not the same as those from Illustrator.

What makes this even worse is that when you import those colors say into illustrator the values are changed again depending on the Profile and even worse it changes the Lab values. So basically if you go full circle and start in Illustrator using a Lab value and put that into Adobe Color and then save that out and reimport that color you end up with a totally different color which makes it kind of useless.

So a secondary question is what is the base or master value that Adobe Color uses to base its values on? Is it the Lab, The RGB, The Hex?

Example

Pantone 279C   <<<This is the Target
                      Lab = 57  -5  -49  <<<This is the Lab values no matter the profile

Values based on GRACol and Adobe RGB
                      RGB = 94  140  218
                      HEX =5e8cda
                      CMYK = 72  35  0  0

Values from Adobe Color based on Lab numbers entered
                      RGB = 0  145  223
                      HEX =0091De
                      CMYK = 100  35  0  12

If in the end all your worried about is what looks good to you on screen it is fine but if you want to reproduce the results in Print or even on Screen in a relatively consistent manner (we know 100% color consistency in both print and on screen is impossible due to the number of variables) than it would be helpful if we knew what rules are being used so we can understand why numbers are the numbers they are.