0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 12:06 PM by mrdfred

find 1394 device

mrdfred

How do I find my 1394 connected digital video camcorder with Prem elements 13?

• 1. Re: find 1394 device
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mrdfred

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 (latest version) do not support DV or HDV data capture firewire into a Premiere Elements Capture Window.

The last version of Premiere Elements that has this feature is Premiere Elements 12/12.1. Please refer to the Adobe document on this matter and its suggested workarounds for this situation.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

You can still capture firewire into another application and then transfer the captures into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/.

What computer operating system is involved?

If Windows....

WinDV   WinDV

HDVSplit   HDVSplit 0.77 beta

Please consider, give more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: find 1394 device
            mrdfred Level 1

ATR,

Thank you,

I thought that pre El 13 might not support 1394, your info confirmed this. Fortunately I have Pre El 8, and reinstalled it to do the capture. I will now use it to finish my tapes and transfer them to DVD and edit them on Pre El 13.

• 3. Re: find 1394 device
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mrdfred

Thanks for the follow up.

Great job with your strategy to get around the removal of the version 13 DV and HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification on any of your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: find 1394 device
                mrdfred Level 1

V 8 works just like it did when I had win 7. I had to uninstall v13 however before v8 would work. I will copy my videos and burn them to a DVD, then reinstal v13.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: find 1394 device
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mrdfred

Wonderful news regarding your success with Premiere Elements 8 Capture firewire.

What computer operating system are you using now Windows 7 or 10 64 bit or other? I was surprised to learn that install of 13 on the same computer as 8 caused problems with the 8's function.

But, glad to learn that you are moving forward with your video projects. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: find 1394 device
                    mrdfred Level 1

I'm using win 10 pro 64, Intel core 5 quad core CPU and 16gig of ram, an Asus graphics card and Asus MB. I uninstalled v8 several times before deciding to try uninstalling v13. I removed all Premiere elements occurrences from the registry using command line prompt "regedit", and did a clean install of v8. V8 worked on the first try. Copying even now as I type.

Hope this helps any others who have DV camcorders using 1394, firewire to get their tapes into Premiere Elements.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: find 1394 device
                      mrdfred Level 1

When I import the video from the DV camcorder, should I use the "raw" AVI files to use with v13, or the rendered files burned to DVD?

• 8. Re: find 1394 device
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mrdfred

If you are capturing your DV data firewire using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, you can save the captures as DV AVI to your computer hard drive as well as have them go on to the Timeline.

Set your Save In for the location where you want the capture (DV.AVI) stored.

If you want to also have copies go to the Timeline, check mark next to Capture to Timeline.

If you want split clips, check mark next to Split Scenes and designate how - By Content or By Timecode

Do not have a check mark next to AutoAnalzyer, that typically spells trouble.

PE8.JPG

I would take those saved DV AVI files saved to the computer hard drive (often to Videos Folder) and import them from the hard drive save location into the Premiere Elements 13 project with 13's Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets/from where you drag them to the Timeline.

Please consider, and then let me know if you are OK with the above details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: find 1394 device
                          mrdfred Level 1

Again, thank you! I thought that using the "raw" avi files was the route to go, but wasn't sure. I copied a tape and burned it to DVD, it compressed it down to 3.5 gig from 13.3 gig. I then imported it into pre elem to see how that worked. It imported fine, bur just 4 files down from 29. It seems that there would be a large loss in quality to use the DVD file in V13.

• 10. Re: find 1394 device
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mrdfred

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like good progress. Well done.

About getting content from DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc into Premiere Elements....if you have not tried it already, please explore

a. putting the disc in the burner tray

b. using Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 Get Media/"DVD (Camcorder or PC DVD Drive)"/Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader/

The DVD video file that you import in this instance by this route has the name VTS_01_1.VOB - depending on the duration of the DVD-VIDEO, you could have more DVD video files, VTS_01_2.VOB and others in series.

ATR