14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 1:11 PM by dj_paige

Lost original file

sarahj90452282

I have edited a bunch of photos and my export settings somehow changed to 72 DPI instead of 300DPI.  This has caused the file to become very blurry when zoomed in.  I deleted the original photo file off my computer so only have the edited verison.  I need to export the file differently (300DPI)  I still have the original file on my lightroom but it says that the file is missing ( due to the original being deleted)  Is there ANY way I can get this back??  I have done some back ups in the past to lightroom.. would this help with anything?  I need to find these files....

Thanks

• 1. Re: Lost original file
          dj_paige Level 9

Once you delete the photo from your hard disk, the only way to get it back is if you have a backup available? Do you?

As a matter of general practice, once you import a photo into Lightroom, you do NOT delete it from your hard disk.

Also, you might want to consider exporting in such a way so that the PPI (not DPI) has no impact (so it doesn't matter what number is there). The easiest way to do this is to select the number of pixels you want in the output, rather than the number of inches.

• 2. Re: Lost original file
            sarahj90452282 Level 1

Do you mean a back up on my computer or on my light room?  I have done a back up on my computer before but not my lightroom.  Does this mean there is no way to edit that original file even though its on my lightroom still (with the note at the top of it that the original is missing)

I have seen information about plug ins.  Not sure what those are but would this help me at alll?

• 3. Re: Lost original file
              dj_paige Level 9

I mean a backup of the photo file that you deleted. If you have one, then you can fix the problem. If you have no backup of that photo file, then I think you are out of luck. You might want to try donwloading and installing and running something called an "undelete utility" as a last resort to see if you can recover the deleted file.

• 4. Re: Lost original file
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the originals were newly copied off a camera memory card and you haven’t filled it with new photos, yet, then you may be able to recover some of the photos off the memory card using various photo-recovery utilities you can Google for. 

Presumably you’ve checked your recycle bin or trash can to make sure the photos are not there and can be undeleted. 

If these are old photos and you don’t have a backup, they’re gone.

Lightroom doesn’t contain your photos, it merely contains a references to where they were when they were imported.  A Lightroom backup done as you exit is just a backup of the catalog and would not contain your photos. 

A photo backup when you import by copying the photos to a second location would contain your photos.   Since you don’t seem to know what sort of backups there are and what they contain I doubt you’ve been doing backups of your originals during Import and have only been backing up the catalog.

• 5. Re: Lost original file
                  sarahj90452282 Level 1

No I dont have one.  Is this something I would download from the internet on my computer?  I want to try anything I can to get them back. 

• 6. Re: Lost original file
                    sarahj90452282 Level 1

The photos are exported as 72 resolution.... should I be that worried that they wont print well????  I always export as a 300

• 7. Re: Lost original file
                      dj_paige Level 9

If you are going to try this "undelete utility", you would have to download this from the Internet, and if you are going to give this a try, DO NOT perform any other tasks on your computer other than download and install and run the "undelete utility". Best practice would be to download and install the "undelete utility" to a different disk than your photo was on, if possible.

In the future, you need to develop a comprehensive backup plan and put it into action as soon as possible, NO EXCUSES. You need to make backup copies of ALL of your photos, and also backups of your Lightroom catalog file to a different physical disk than the originals are stored on. As long as were discussing backups, don't limit this to Lightroom and photos, backup ALL of your working documents and important files.

• 8. Re: Lost original file
                        dj_paige Level 9

sarahj90452282 wrote:

The photos are exported as 72 resolution.... should I be that worried that they wont print well????  I always export as a 300

The information you have given doesn't allow us to answer the problem, and is mostly irrelevant anyway. The correct information that we need is the number of pixels (width and height) in the photo, and the number of inches (width and height) you want to print at.

• 9. Re: Lost original file
                          sarahj90452282 Level 1

okay i will look into this for sure from now on and do back ups.  I may try downloading that program and see if it helps

• 10. Re: Lost original file
                            dj_paige Level 9

I may try downloading that program

"May"? As I said, if you are going to try the "undelete utility", you must not perform other tasks on your computer. Either you do it as the very next thing you try, or you don't do it.

• 11. Re: Lost original file
                              sarahj90452282 Level 1

In my exporting screen I always click the "Dont Enlarge" box and make sure the "Resize to Fit" box is not clicked off.. Then I put 300 pixels per inch.  This being said... I want to be able to print all sizes up to 8x10 etc.  I was once told that 300 pixels per inch would be my best route to go.  The reason I'm worried about these deleted files is because the exported files are at 72 pixels per inch and the Resize to Fit is clicked off.  I just hope my client can print these off at all different sizes.

• 12. Re: Lost original file
                                dj_paige Level 9

If you uncheck "Resize to Fit", which is what you said you did, then the pixels per inch number in the file is completely meaningless, irrelevant, useless, not used, has no impact.

In other words, you shouldn't have a problem.

• 13. Re: Lost original file
                                  sarahj90452282 Level 1

So I should be fine to print?  So why is that other photographers have told me to always have that not checked off and have Enlarged to fit checked off? I have noticed in this situation that when I zoom in I can really see the pixels more then I can when the box is not checked off and its set to 300 pixels per inch.

Sorry all of this is really new to me.  Thank you for the help

• 14. Re: Lost original file
                                    dj_paige Level 9

So I should be fine to print?

Unless you have done something that you haven't told me about (like cropping a huge amount), then it should be fine.

So why is that other photographers have told me to always have that not checked off and have Enlarged to fit checked off?

Why? Because usually that's the best thing to do when you are printing.

I have noticed in this situation that when I zoom in I can really see the pixels more then I can when the box is not checked off and its set to 300 pixels per inch.

I can't explain what you are seeing, unless you have done a huge amount of cropping.