Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source Control/Folders don't update

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2006 Nov 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using RoboHelp X5 with Visual Source safe 6.0. The problem is more to do with the file or folder organization (I think).

Basically we have folders setup in VSS set to our local folders each author has on their machines. I joined my company a year ago and noticed the mess of folders and files outside topic folders (sub-folders) on my local drive. Then I learned its because when we update certain project pages then check-in the project, the pages/files update to the wrong location, meaning they update to the main Project folder rather than the topic sub -folders that Visual Source safe is set to. Therefore we are forced to copy these updated pages outside the subfolders on our local drive and paste to the appropriate sub/topic folders, then Check-in so that VSS picks up the updated pages to deploy.

I noticed that certain projects within RoboHelp have folders in the Project manager tab under HTML files and these projects usually update to correct location when checked-in, but they also have separate deployment paths for each sub folder within Visual Source.

I can't figure out if the problem is with the deployment paths or the folder setup in RoboHelp. I tested a project deployment by creating a folder within RoboHelp to reflect the ones on our local drive then I dragged a topic in this folder, updated saved then checked in to realize the update was picked up in VSS but when I deployed the page, the links on the this page wouldn't work. Keep in mind the deployment settings for this particular project are the same for all the sub-folders. Hence I have no idea what the problem could be. Please Help. I don't want to delete the database and recreate the projects as was hinted by a technical expert. I would appreciate a quick solution that doesn't keep our links and projects online from working.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2006 Nov 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi again Robonetx5

Whether you like it or not, your end solution will likely involve simply re-creating the database information for your RoboHelp projects. I say this because it's likely going to be infinitely easier than tracking down what went wrong and making a change here and there. Of course, if we were able to sit in front of the affected PC and really see the structure, we could probably sort it. But as you are stepping into a project with many unknowns, it's probably going to be a daunting process at best.

Normally, you want to configure your "working folder" in VSS to match exactly your project location. As you add folders in RoboHelp HTML, you will want to be sure you also add them in VSS. Same with new topics and images.

I wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved easily.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp