6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 6:46 PM by A.T. Romano

How does one use the Bypass check box?

vumadave Level 1

If one right-clicks on a image/sound clip, four options appear:  Motion, Opacity, Volume and Balance.

Balance has a check box and an blue clock icon.  Checking the box and messing with the clock,

I find no pass filter, neither high or low.   How can I activate the Bypass filter, please.

Bypass not mentioned in the official handbook or the Classroom in a Book.

Making an intense film of a Cambodian Circus.  Editing it in DC.

Currently using PE 10.  At completion of this immense project, intend to go for 14.

• 1. Re: How does one use the Bypass check box?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

vumadave

What computer operating system with your Premiere Elements 10? Does your computer use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card?

To your immediate question....

I have written about using the Volume Bypass. For starter, you may want to refer to what I wrote. It is found

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Audio Features

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Please consider, and give more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How does one use the Bypass check box?
            vumadave Level 1

Thanks, AT, thanks for your very prompt reply.  Please, excuse my thick headedness.  But, I believe you said the Bypass check box prevents adjustment during mixing because one is happy with the levels.

If that is so, I tried it on a sound clip (no image)  I did not SEE any change.  Tried toggling the blue/white clock.  Though warned, I saw no changes in my keystrokes since I had done one frame fade in and fade out.

What don't I understand, please.  Meanwhile, I will make an effort to find what videocard/graphics card i have.  I think i have two.

-david lee

• 3. Re: How does one use the Bypass check box?
              vumadave Level 1

oh!  Slow boy that I am, I get it, I go to Show Clip Keyframes to get the rubberband on high.  And I am understanding that will prevent me messing with it when i mix the sound?   BUT, it prevents me do a one frame "gradual" fade in/out to prevent a pop.

I get a square when I use the triangle buttons, that seems to pop.   ??? Am I close to understanding Bypass.  Again, thanks.

• 4. Re: How does one use the Bypass check box?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

vumadave

Just starting my visits to the Premiere Elements Forum today and saw your replies.

Thanks for the replies. Are you OK with Volume Bypass yet? Sounds like progress. But, if necessary, I will go through an example specific the effect that you are seeking. Just confirm the details of what you are seeking.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: How does one use the Bypass check box?
                  vumadave Level 1

Okay, thanks, ATR.

You write, about ByPass:  If the audio clip rubberband set for Volume:Bypass is dragged all the way to the top of the clip, then Volume:Bypass in On. Conversely, if it is dragged all the way to the bottom of the audio clip, then Volume:Bypass is Off.

However, fumblingly, I do the following.  1) Right-click on a track in Audio 1.  2)  Left-click on "Show Clip Keyframes.  3)  see Volume go to Bypass, click on Bypass,   4)  The rubberband drops to the bottom.  5)  The Undo button doesn't work, so I quickly close the file so I can save my work.   If, I go to 3) Balance.  Then, 4) click on Balance, then click Bypass, the rubberband, again goes to the bottom.              Also, I loose ALL of my tediously placed, 1 frame fade-ins and 1 frame fade-outs.  Either way, the check box

for Bypass is filled.

What am I missing?  Seems like what happens is the opposite of what I have read.

Again, thanks for your time and effort, ATR!

• 6. Re: How does one use the Bypass check box?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

vumadave

When your audio comes into the project, it is assigned a 0 dB value. That value represents the volume of the file as recorded by the recording device.

You can lower or increase the volume at the Timeline level by moving the audio file's orange Volume Clip Volume rubberband up or down. All the way to the top, that is +6 dB, and all the way to the bottom is infinity, no sound. However you change the Volume, as long as the reading is no longer 0 dB, the Volume Bypass option is going to work for you.

The Volume Bypass orange line rubberband is a different line than that for the Volume Clip Volume. Volume Clip Volume deals with setting the Volume whereas Volume Bypass allows you to decide what segments of the Volume change that you want be to heard without going back to Volume Clip Volume to make Volume adjustments.

When you set the audio clip for Volume Bypass, it is normal for the Volume Bypass orange line to be all the way to the bottom (Off) because that represents the Volume Bypass letting you hear the Volume change that you made. It is allowing you to hear however you adjusted the Volume away from 0 dB. With Volume Bypass, you decide what segments of that Volume change across the clip you want heard and do not want to be heard without having to go back to the Volume Clip Volume's orange rubberband. In the Volume Clip Volume phase, if you have set audio fade in and fade out, then you make sure that Volume Bypass is Off at those times. Also, consider, do you really need or want Volume Bypass in your workflow? What benefit is it to your audio for the effect that you are trying to achieve?

After reading the above, please go back to the write-up and graphics in the blog post to reconsider the concept of the option of Volume Bypass

When all is said and done....Volume Bypass Off = hearing the Volume changes made when Volume level at other than 0 dB. Volume Bypass On = not hearing the those changes.

Please let me know of your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR