10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 1:01 AM by Mohit Goyal

Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)

jldorner Level 1

A few weeks ago I renewed my subscription to Creative Cloud and updated to CC 2015. Today for the first time since doing that, I tried to use Lightroom. Once again I am encountering the problem with Lightroom not responding and "Shadow (not responding)" appearing in Task manager. See thread at Lightroom 5 not responding

I updated my driver to see if it would help and it didn't. This is my driver info:

driver.PNG

This is the system information displayed by Lightroom

Lightroom version: CC 2015.2.1 [ 1046594 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 7

Version: 6.1

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 2

Processor speed: 2.8 GHz

Built-in memory: 3224.7 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 3224.7 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 647.2 MB (20.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 619.7 MB

Memory cache size: 27.3 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: No

Displays: 1) 1366x768

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

AMD Radeon HD 8450G

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.13399 Core Profile Context 15.201.1151.1007

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 8450G

LanguageVersion: 4.40

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 1002

Device : 9995

Subsystem : 510a17aa

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 758

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Conexant 20671 SmartAudio HD)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  The program crashes whenever I try doing anything, so it is unusable.

I am able to run Photoshop CC 2015 and Adobe Bridge CC 2015 without any problem.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi jldorner,

Please follow the below steps.

Open Lightroom

Go to Lightroom Preferences from the Edit menu

Click on Performance tab

Uncheck the Graphics Processor

then, Go to General tab

Uncheck the option " Show Add photo screen"

Restart Lightroom

Now, if in case you are unable to perform the above steps due to the Lightroom early crash, check the below steps

1. With Lightroom closed
          • Navigate to

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences    (Where AppData is a hidden/system folder so you may need to enter the folder name directly into your Explorer address bar or enable hidden/system folders in Explorer folder view options.)

• Open the file LightroomPreferences.agprefs
          • Search for the line Use autobahn=True(Press CTRL+F)
          • Change it to Use Autobahn=False

dfsdf.PNG

Once Done save the File

Restart Lightroom

2. Also refer this link and update Graphics Processor if you use AMD card

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Issues with Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6 and AMD graphics cards | Win

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)
            jldorner Level 1

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately this has not resolved my problem.

- I had already unchecked the Graphics Processor in Preferences

- I had not unchecked " Show Add photo screen".  I did that and clicked ok and then exited. Then I restarted Lightroom and it again stopped responding.

I rebooted and then restarted Lightroom and for the first time since renewing my subscription, I saw the Lightroom Splash screen. Everything was fine and then this window popped up:

updatingcatalog.PNG

After nothing happened after about 60 seconds, I clicked on the x to close the window and Lightroom stopped responding.

I rebooted and reopened Lightroom and that popup did not appear again, but after I went to check the preferences to make sure what I had changed had stuck, Lightroom stopped responding.

Then I went into the preferences file in my AppData, as you suggested, and verified that Autobahn was set to false. It was.

- In re the AMD Graphics card issue -- I had seen the article you linked to already. You should be aware that the newest AMD driver is 15.11. The link provided in that Adobe help article does not go to a page where you can download 15.8, it brings you to a link to 15.11. I could not find a link to download the 15.8 version of the driver anywhere on AMD's website, so I updated the driver to 15.11 before I posted this problem to the Adobe forum.

A few other odd things:

When I open Lightroom the message below appears. I do not remember this happening before I updated Lightroom. It does not appear when I open Photoshop, Bridge, or Acrobat Pro (which are the other Adobe products I use most often). I have to say "Yes" or the program won't open.

useraccount.PNG

Also, the program seems to be using  a LOT of memory.

processes.PNG

Any additional advice you can offer would be most welcome!

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)

You need to remove that plugin or disable it from the plugin Manager in Lightroom

In Lightroom, click File > Plug-in Manager

Click through the plug-ins and click the Disable button for each plug-in

And the popup you see for Yes & No, you need to right click on Lightroom Icon and go to Properties.

Lr Icon Prop.png

Uncheck the highlighted option.

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)
                jldorner Level 1

I disabled all plugins and unchecked the "run this program as an administrator" option in preferences.

And I rebooted.

The program still stops responding about 10 seconds after I open it.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)

Could you please send the crash log for Lightroom.

Go to Control Panel<< Administrative tools<< Event Viewer

event_log_01.png

event_log_02.png

Copy paste the error log in your next reply.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)
                    lschneiderweb

I am having this issue since a recent update and was forced into using LIghtroom 6.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)
                      jldorner Level 1

Sorry, I didn't see this reply earlier and I have already given up and rolled back to version 5.7.1. So far it is working.

(Note to self: next time before upgrading, make sure you have a recent backup of your catalog. 7 months of work lost, but it is my fault for not being more diligent about backups.)

But I did go into the event viewer and look at the error logs and copied the most recent 6 application errors:

11/16/2015 10:00:44 PM

The program lightroom.exe version 6.2.1.10 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 1a30

Start Time: 01d120fd05b8e7c1

Termination Time: 44

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe

Report Id: 815ab4ea-8cf0-11e5-b724-f8a9635681d3

----------------------------

11/15/2015 11:26:20 PM

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 16.0.1.168, time stamp: 0x55af6140

Faulting module name: AdobeOwl.dll, version: 5.2.7.0, time stamp: 0x55af5410

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000a5d83

Faulting process id: 0x1280

Faulting application start time: 0x01d12037341994b3

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\AdobeOwl.dll

Report Id: 546f9566-8c33-11e5-98ae-f8a9635681d3

---------------------------------------------

11/15/2015 10:13:43 PM

The program lightroom.exe version 6.2.1.10 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 17d8

Start Time: 01d12035ca798ff6

Termination Time: 93

Report Id: 2aaed18a-8c29-11e5-bdfb-f8a9635681d3

------------------------

11/15/2015 9:54:45 PM

Process ID: 1974

Start Time: 01d1203319db4640

Termination Time: 47

Report Id: 8437e67d-8c26-11e5-bdfb-f8a9635681d3

-----------------------------

11/15/2015 9:49:07 PM

Process ID: 1594

Start Time: 01d12031fef41cfa

Termination Time: 47

Report Id: b0f81037-8c25-11e5-bdfb-f8a9635681d3

----------------------------------

11/15/2015 9:24:00 PM

Faulting application name: lightroom.exe, version: 6.2.1.10, time stamp: 0x561477b9

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19045, time stamp: 0x56259295

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000bffc2

Faulting process id: 0x1b44

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1202ed1fc2c67

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\lightroom.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 3d7d95e4-8c22-11e5-8be1-f8a9635681d3

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)

The error you have mentioned that is related to windows "Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll"

however, if you would like to try you can install the latest release of Lightroom 6.3 which was launched yesterday, where we have restore the old import window.

Refer the link: Lightroom CC 2015.3 / 6.3 now available

Thanks,

~Mohit

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)
                          jldorner Level 1

Does the restoration of the old import window have anything to do with the "Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll" error? If it doesn't, then how would upgrading to the new release of Lightroom 6.3 resolve my issue?

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC 2015 not responding - Shadow (not responding)

When we look the crash log it shows the faulty module which is the part of the problem, due some changes in Lightroom it was crashing before.

Since the we have restored the major change was done in Lightroom 6.2.1, therefor you can give it try for the newest update.

Lightroom CC 2015.3 / 6.3 now available

Thanks,

~Mohit