7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 5:20 PM by Ned Murphy

Controller Help

ryang77587813

Hello, I am pretty new to flash but I have a project I want to accomplish and I thought that flash might be a good tool to make it happen. So below is the control panel.  What I'm looking to do is when the arrow buttons are pressed I can navigate the menu on the LCD screen. Any articles advice or tutorials you could throw my way would be helpful. 

Thanks

Control Panel.png

• 1. Re: Controller Help
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Assuming you mean you wish to create a mockup of the display you show rather than actually controlling the device, the simplest approach I can think of for this would be to have the screen that you wish to scroll as a movieclip that sits behind a mask that is the size of the scrolling area.  Use the arrow buttons to step-adjust the y property of that movieclip to move one line height of distance up or down, keeping track of the ends so that you do not scroll beyond the top or bottom.

• 2. Re: Controller Help
            ryang77587813 Level 1

Thank you for the reply. That is exactly what I am trying to do! Could you recommend any resources that could guide me in the right direction?  It's a pretty extensive menu so I would need to be able to select a menu item and it switch to a set of submenu items.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Controller Help

Something like this might have a tutorial somewhere but if there is I do not know where to find it.  If I need to find anything I usually hunt it down on Google.

I made you a quick and dirty example (primitive - not polished or accurate) that shows the basics of one way to approach it.  There is a main menu and two submenus with it, wherein only the first two buttons of the main menu link to the two submenus.  So it won't be very exciting to play with, but you can hopefully get an idea of how it is done from looking at the objects involved, their instance names (not library names), and the code.

http://www.nedwebs.com/Flash/AS3_display_sample.fla

• 4. Re: Controller Help
                ryang77587813 Level 1

Thanks!  This has been very helpful.  I've been trying to reverse engineer this and it's a great start.  Thank you for taking the time.

• 5. Re: Controller Help
                  ryang77587813 Level 1

Okay so I think I'm getting the hang of this but I'm having trouble making sub-menus. See the image below I thought that would work am I headed in the right direction? 

Code.png Thanks

Ryan

• 6. Re: Controller Help
                    ryang77587813 Level 1

Okay Ned Murphy so I got the menus to work but I would like to have the menu title display at the top for the menu that was selected without moving or stepping when you scroll through the menu options. 

Controller.png

Thanks

Ryan

• 7. Re: Controller Help

If I understand what you want then it sounds like you need to have another field to display the current menu/submenu title (Main Menu, Submenu 1, etc)