4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 5:55 PM by ovonel454

video/sound synchronisation problem

ovonel454

Hi I have recently installed Premier Elements 13. When I import a video file (I have tried several) I find that the video and sound are not synchronised. The video runs ahead of the sound, say 3 or 4 seconds. I have not done any video work for a couple of years but I do not recall my previous versions of Premiere doing this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

If I play the video files back with Windows Media player the lip synch is perfect. The files are mpg-2 files recorded at 25fps (PAL TV) with a video bitrate of 8000 Kbps and the sound is recorded at 192 Kbps. I looked at the settings file but did not see any options that might affect this.

Thanks Pete

• 1. Re: video/sound synchronisation problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pete

Premiere Elements 13 on what computer operating system? Have you updated to 13.1 yet using an opened projects Help Menu/Updates?

Please add to the properties of the import

Video compression = MPEG2

Audio compression = ?

File extension = MPG, TS, or other?

Scan Type = Interlaced or Progressive?

What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source?

What are the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (even if the fields look grayed out)?

When you play back the import on the Timeline in Edit area, is there an orange line over its content? if so, so you render the content in the Edit area to get the best possible preview?

If you export the Timeline content as is, is the audio out of sync in the export also?

Please consider, and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: video/sound synchronisation problem
            ovonel454 Level 1

Hi ATR, answers as follows…

Premiere version:  13.1

Audio compression is unclear; I have used WM Capture 6 to record a video stream from the BBC’s iPlayer service. The only setting I have made is the audio bitrate of 192Kbps, the other setting being Auto. All I can really say is that I have used this software for many years on Windows computers to record video streams without any problem.

File extension: .mpg

Scan type: interlaced

Project preset: PAL/DV/widescreen 48kHz

Editing mode: DV PAL

Timebase:   25.00 frames/second

Frame size:  720 horizontal   576 vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio:  D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587)

Rendering: I did

Export: I exported the video to both mpeg 2 and avchd and both files had the synchronisation problem.

• 3. Re: video/sound synchronisation problem
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pete

I think the focus is

I have used WM Capture 6 to record a video stream from the BBC’s iPlayer service

You seem to have a straight forward PAL DV Widescreen (MPEG2.mpg, 720 x 576 @ 25 interlaced frames per second) which should (generalizing) be supported using the project preset of PAL DV Widescreen. Did your projects settings confirm that was the project preset being used? Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

a. You said that your only opportunity to modify the recording received was the audio bitrate, taking it to 192 kbps. What was it as received? Can you obtain any more information about the file's audio?

For troubleshooting purposes, please take the file into the free HandBrake program to obtain the H.264.mp4 constant frame rate version (25 frames per second). See HandBrake Video Tab. https://handbrake.fr/ Then import HandBrake H.264.mp4 into the Premiere Elements project and determine if the audio is still out of sync when you play back the rendered Timeline.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: video/sound synchronisation problem
                ovonel454 Level 1

Hi sorry for the delay, I have been trying various things and investigating. I have concluded what the problem is. When I use iPlayer I always download the recording and play with their player rather than play direct in the web browser - this overcomes any problem with the broadband line resulting in pauses and buffering. Now I have recorded some clips from Youtube, using exactly the same software and settings and they have all worked within Premiere without problems, whilst the iPlayer clips recorded from the iPlayer player have all had a 10-11 seconds fault in synchronisation.

My conclusion therefore is that this is built into the iPlayer player to stop one from recording the clip - to me it is the only thing that makes sense. Given that one can record the original TV broadcast onto a hard disk recorder and keep the recoding forever or copy it to a DVD etc, this approach by the BBC makes no sense to me at all. But it is what it is. I have manually re-synched the video and audio tracks in Premiere, which of course costs time, but have it resolved. Many thanks for trying to help. Having said all of that it still does not explain why the iPlayer clips play absolutely perfectly in Windows Media Player and J River Player. But as I said Youtube is fine so I am confident in the Premiere and WM Capture software and the meg files I am creating.