1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2015 6:39 PM by R Neil Haugen

How do I set up a new Mac Pro for optimal performance?

justing4444

I have a new Mac Pro and would like help setting it up to maximize performance using Premiere Pro and After Effects. Here is my computer:

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

PROCESSOR: 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

MEMORY: 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

STARTUP: Macintosh HD

GRAPHICS: AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

In addition, I have two 2TB external hard drives, "WD My Passport for Mac". I currently run Premiere Pro from my Startup Disk, and store all my footage on one of the 2TB drives. I render files back to the same 2TB drive. I did a little research and found this is not a good way to run Premiere Pro. Could you please advise on how to set up my computer system to optimize playback and render performance? Thank you!

• 1. Re: How do I set up a new Mac Pro for optimal performance?
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Drive access speeds are pretty important, so the TYPE of connections those externals have is also important. USB2 is basically unusable ... USB3 is perhaps usable for a read or write only process, such as media (which is read-only mostly in PrPro) or exports (read-only); you can use it for other things but your editing sessions will have lags & such. eSATA II is another kettle of fish ... it's quite usable. Thunderbolt is much better than eSATA II.

For externals, the "My Passport" style of drives typically have a lot more 'overhead' in their read/write processing than say a 'simple' external box for an eSATA or USB3 connection, the Kingston or Thermaltake types where the discs are just pushed down into the slot on the box. Like this one ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

And of course, these are easy to swap drives in and out.

For using those two externals you've got, if one was the media and the other the export drive, it would work better during exporting. Simply buying yourself a couple more drives for internal work could be the biggest speed gain you'd get. Especially say a 1TB internal SSD. Or two. Projects on one, cache/media-database on the other.

Also ... you could ask over on the Hardware forum ...

https://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Neil