16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 2:51 PM by tyespal

After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?

tyespal Level 1

After using the Trial version of Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my old Premiere Elements 12. Why?

• 1. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

What computer operating system is involved?

It would be expected that uninstall of 14 would not impact 12. Been there, done that.

Were you able to open Premiere Elements 12/12.1 while you had the Premiere Elements 14 tryout installed on your computer?

What other Adobe products do you have on your computer at the present time?

1. Do a free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)

If Windows

CCleaner - Download

If Mac

Piriform - CCleaner Mac

2. If "1" does not work, then do uninstall, free ccleaner run through, resinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Premiere Elements 12 was always a difficult one for me to have to reinstall after an uninstall, so I am hoping that the uninstall

with not be necessary.

3. To do before an uninstall....

a. Determine if problem exists with or without the antivirus and firewalls disabled.

b. Latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer, and you are running the programs as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges.

c. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to web site of the manufacturer of the card.

d. If Windows computer, rename the SLStore and SLCache Folders as per the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

Please consider, and then let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Any questions about the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
            tyespal Level 1

I have Windows 10 pro 64bit, I was able to run PE 12.1 when 14 was installed, but was unable to burn DVDs High Def. The program (12.1) would not respond to the command to burn. I then had to force a restart before I could get back to my desktop. However, I also had an issue with PE 12.1 not moving beyond the Home screen. I then removed 14 using Rev Uninstaller. I have the purchased version of CCleaner, so no problem there. I also have installed Lightroom 5.7, Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, and Distiller DC, as well as the Application Manager. Any help is most appreciated.

• 3. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

Thanks for the reply.

What version of QuickTime 7 do you have installed for your Windows 10 Pro 64 bit?

I have Windows 10 64 bit installed on two of my computer. The one (Windows 10 Home 64 bit) upgraded from Windows 8.1 64 does not support QuickTime greater than 7.7.6, and the one (Window 10 Pro 64 bit) upgraded from Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit does not support QuickTime greater than 7.7.7.

(QuickTime 7's latest version is 7.7.8). I have been recommending the install of QuickTime 7.7.6 until Apple works out its problems with QuickTime 7 and Windows 10 64 bit.  QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

What are the computer resources for your Windows 10 64 bit...installed and available RAM, free hard drive space, processor attributes?

If you could not run burn to disc AVCHD, could you run burn to disc DVD with Premiere Elements 12/12.1? Could you run burn to Folder for DVD-VIDEO and AVCHD?

Have we established if you are running the program as administrator (from user account with administrative privileges)?

Please review my post 1 and respond to questions there that have not yet been replied to.

Even before the upgrade to Windows 10, were there problems with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and the program combination of

Lightroom 5.7, Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, and Distiller DC, as well as the Application Manager. Did you update the Application Manager using

Adobe - Adobe Application Manager : For Windows : Adobe Application Manager

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                tyespal Level 1

Here is what I have installed. Prog. Files (x86); Quick Time.exe 7.7.7 (1680-2015), Quick Time.dll 7.7.7 (1680.95.51). Do I need to delete current version before downloading 7.7.6?

• 5. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

Thanks for the reply with additional details.

For the time being, let us leave QuickTime at version 7.7.7. If problem persists, we may go back to taking that to 7.7.6, and then uninstall prior QuickTime version and doing cleaner before install of 7.7.6.

Did you do the renaming of the SLCache and SLStore Folders?

Did you go through 3a through d in post 1?

ATR

• 6. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                    tyespal Level 1

I have 16 Gb of Ram and 1.2 Tb left of memory on my C drive, 6 core processor. Yes I could burn to DVDs provided I opted to use Windows. I could also burn iso files to Folder. And yes I am running programs as Program Manager. After installing Windows 10 and before downloading PE 14 I did not notice the issues I had after uninstalling PE 10 trial version.

• 7. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

I just did a double check with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on my Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with QuickTime 7.7.7 and that works fine for the burn to Folder (4.7 GB).

for the DVD and AVCHD choices under Publish+Share/Disc/. So, that puts changing the QuickTime reverse less indicated.

When you get to version 12 burn dialog, what does it show for Space Required and Bitrate when you have a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space?

Does running programs as Program Manager mean that you are running the program from user account with administrative privileges according to Start Menu/Settings/Accounts with your account having label Local Account/Administrator?

Are you running the computer with Internet connection? At any point since problems were first seen with Premiere Elements 12, have you done any uninstall/reinstall of the program?

Please review the thread so far and answer any questions that you have not already answered. We will be watching for all to put the information together toward a solution.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                        tyespal Level 1

Yes to renaming SLCache and SLStore Folders 3a through d in post 1.

• 9. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

Thanks for the follow ups.

Follow up has been delayed because of am doing some road testing of your problem and ran into major problems with burn to disc DVD or AVCHD using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on both my Windows 10 Home 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit computer. I will get back to you soon with results.

In the meanwhile, please remind me, at the present time, when you do the burn to DVD or AVCHD from 12

a. What is the Status mesage when the DVD disc is in the burner tray?

b. Are you using a DVD-R or DVD-RW disc?

c. Can you identify your DVD drive in My PC?

To be continued...

ATR

• 10. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                            tyespal Level 1

I can't get to the Status message because when I click the command to go to burn a disc I just the doenut spinning. As of now I can't get beyond the Home page for selection of Organizer and Video Editor. I think I have performed all the tasks you have so far suggested.

• 11. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                              tyespal Level 1

Yes to using DVD-R disc, and Yes to PC identification of DVD drive.

• 12. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

Thanks for the follow ups.

To rule in or out that Windows updates or something else had messed up the successful Premiere Elements burn to disc after my computer upgrade to Windows 10 Home 64 bit or Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, I ran the tests again. Panic...nothing was working, but I got as far as the burn dialog and was stuck with Status readings of Media Not Present, Busy, and the like. I use a USB external DVD burner for those computer. An I use the same DVD-RW for troubleshooting.

After back and forth, the problem was found to be the DVD disc. I invested a empty DVD-R and Status = Ready and burn to disc DVD or AVCHD choice was successful.

But your problem profile differs in that you do not get into the burn dialog, and you are already using a DVD-R disc which would a clean disc.

Now you report more problems with 12 which do not immediately seem to relate to the burn to. In spite of the fact that I have found 12 to be one of the hardest programs to uninstall reinstall, I would encourage you to do the uninstall the Control Panel way, ccleaner run through, and reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled. Have you been done that road before?

Miscellaneous...

a. Is your burner, internal or external? Have you gone through the usual firmware update checks?

b. Have you have any indications that one of those other programs (maybe Distiller DC) might be conflicting?

c. Maybe look at QuickTime 7.7.6 to determine if that has any impact on this situation.

Consider. I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 13. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                                  tyespal Level 1

With the exception of lowering my antivirus and firewalls during reinstalls, I have tried to reinstall several times.

• 14. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

tyespal

Thanks for the follow ups. Sorry the news was not better.

Did you ever say if your burner was internal type or USB external type? I had a multitude of problems today with my Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and the rest and burn to disc DVD disc for DVD-Video and AVCHD. My problems resolved with different DVD disc and now in another matter with replacement of original USB cable that came with the burner with one I borrowed from a USB card reader.

I would have hoped that the uninstall/ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts)/reinstall with antivirus and firewall disabled would have been the key. But, apparently not. Do you have any other burner available to you for comparison with the one that you have now? At the present time, is Premiere Elements 12 the only version still on your computer. Did you get successful burn to disc for Premiere Elements 14 for the time that you had it?

We could consider:

a. download and installing new installation files from

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html

or

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

b. Creating a new user account with administrative privileges and downloading and installing Premiere Elements 12 in the new user account with administrative privileges.

c. Trying develop a situation where we could evaluate possible conflicts between 12 and other computer software.

We may have been there before...but how about going to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 12

and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder find and right click the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, select Run As Administrator.

The double click the file to open to the Expert workspace for another burn to disc. Also, consider...right click the Premiere Elements 12 desktop icon and select and apply Run As Administrator.

Please review. I am still thinking about this.

ATR

• 15. Re: After a trial period with Premiere Elements 14, I can't open my Premiere Elements 12. Why?
                                      tyespal Level 1

The PE 12.1 program that I am running seems to be functioning up to the point where I am asking it to burn a disc. The message I keep getting when I do a contr.- alt- delete is Program Not Responding.