9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2015 1:25 PM by Saxon359

unable to import photos in el-capitan

Saxon359

Has anyone found a consistent solution to the problem of importing photos after upgrading to El-Capitan on a mac?

I can't import photos and it appears that I'm not the only one.

Why is there no patch for this already?

Adobe should have had a version of El-Capitan to test on prior to the update and yet my Lightroom 5.7.1 does not import photos. I am thinking that this is a way of forcing everyone over to CC, and if that's the case then I'll be saying goodbye to adobe and using one of the many FREE OPEN SOURCE alternatives out there.

So, Adobe, WTF?

• 1. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom 5.7.1   Release date ~ December 2014

Mac El Capitan    Release date ~ Sep/Nov 2015

Did you ever think it might be El Capitan that has created the import problem?

• 2. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
            Saxon359 Level 1

That thought had crossed my mind, however, many people are having the same problem and not just with OSX 10.11. This is happening with Windows 10 users.

This leads me to believe that Adobe is not bothering to test out and support this pre-CC version of Lightroom. Which is a problem for me.

• 3. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I am a windows-10 user, but still curious to know about your problem. (& help if I can)

"I can't import photos"  does not tell me much.

Do you get an error message? What does it say exactly?

Do you see any thumbnails?  Are they greyed out?

Have the images been imported previously?

What options are you using in the Import dialog?

Can you post a screen-clip of your Import dialog settings?

What is the destination folder for your photos import?

Can you post a screen-clip of the destination folder?

Do you have Read/Write permissions for the destination folder?

• 4. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This leads me to believe that Adobe is not bothering to test out and support this pre-CC version of Lightroom. Which is a problem for me.

that is correct. They are no longer providing updates to LR5. Not even updates to make it compatible with new operating systems. That said, I thought 5.7.1 should work just fine on El Capitan. Surprised it doesn't.

• 5. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
                  Saxon359 Level 1

Lightroom appears to be functioning normally all the way up to pressing the "IMPORT" button, after that I get this popup...

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 5.53.13 PM.png

... none of my settings have changed since I last used LR, which was a few months back prior to upgrading to El-Capitan. It worked then, it just won't import images now as far as I know. If there is any other functionality that isn't working I don't know of it as yet.

• 6. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
                    wirrah Level 1

Out of curiosity I ran up 5.7.1 on my late 2009 27" iMac running 10.11.1 I had no problems with imports from disk (copy and add) or with card imports (copy). I did not try move or a cable connected camera. Is there a particular type of import you are having problems with? Symptoms?

• 7. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is a pretty standard error message that you get when you don't have the correct permissions on the folder you are trying to import to. Make sure you check the destination in the import panel to be in a location where you have write permissions. El Capitan locked down a lot of locations as a security measure, especially locations in the root of the file system. Generally you should be importing to your pictures folder in your user account's home folder.

Sent from my ...

• 8. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
                        Saxon359 Level 1

I didn't realize all of that, I will double check the permissions on the external drive that I'm using to store my photos. However, I'll do that tomorrow so don't expect an update this evening.

• 9. Re: unable to import photos in el-capitan
                          Saxon359 Level 1

Thank you, and thanks to all who answered.

I store my data on an external drive and the permissions needed to be updated. Everything now is back to normal.

Thank you.