4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2015 10:11 AM by Gilles Dignard

Rebuild previews never starts (10+ hours)

Gilles Dignard Level 1

I have a Lightroom Catalog that had been backed up (Images directory and .lrcat file) and where the original was on a hard drive which failed (nothing lost - yay!)

However, now that I've restored the catalog to a new drive, Lightroom 6 (1014445) doesn't seem to be able to rebuild previews.

The catalog is fairly large (624 GB, 43,374 images)

When I ask it to rebuild standard previews it brings up the progress indicator and it never moves. I let it run overnight and nothing has changed. The .lrdata file is still 152 KB in size.

Help!

• 1. Re: Rebuild previews never starts (10+ hours)
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Gilles Dignard,

Greetings.

• After you open LR are you able to see your images, in there?
            • If you are, then previews are already present there some may be standard some minimal, and i see no point of creating them again.
          • You can also try this if you want to build standard previews for all images.
            • Go to the location of your catalog.
            • Check if you see any file/folder named catalogname Catalog Previews.lrdata
            • Delete this folder or move it on desktop
            • Now reopen LR and try to build the previews again.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Rebuild previews never starts (10+ hours)
            Gilles Dignard Level 1

Rohit -

Thanks for the prompt reply.

No previews are present. All images show up as gray.

The backup didn't include the .lrdata and so none was present when I restored from that backup and attempted to rebuild.

As noted, after 10 hours, LR had created a .lrdata but it was only 152 KB in size. When I stopped the rebuild, all images were still gray and the progress bar had still not even begun.

I deleted that .lrdata and tried again, but it's the same thing. No progress. I even tried just rebuilding the preview for a single image and after an hour there had been no progress (and no preview).

What do you suggest I do next?

- Gilles

• 3. Re: Rebuild previews never starts (10+ hours)
              rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi again,

You will not be able to build standard previews unless and untill the images are relocated within LR.

Are the images are located within LR or are there exclamation marks on the images which show them as missing? and if that is the case you first need to relink the images, follow the instructions on this link - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Locate missing photos

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: Rebuild previews never starts (10+ hours)
                Gilles Dignard Level 1

Rohit -

Ding ding ding!

That was exactly it.

Thank you so much! I can start breathing again...

- Gilles