4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 8:58 AM by BobHahnPhoto

Dropbox Plug-in Problem

BobHahnPhoto

When  I try to use the Dropbox plugin i get these messages.

An error occurred while attempting to load this plug-in.

The plug-in description script (Info.lua) is missing.

This plug-in is malfunctioning and can not be used.This plug-in is malfunctioning and can not be used.

Can’t Use Plug-in “Dropbox”

The “nil” plug-in is not installed or not functioning properly.

Thanks

Bob

• 1. Re: Dropbox Plug-in Problem
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you added the plugin you may have pointed to a file inside the plugin when you should have pointed to the plugin folder itself, but you really need to ask whoever wrote the Dropbox plugin.

• 2. Re: Dropbox Plug-in Problem
            BobHahnPhoto Level 1

Thanks for your response.

This plug-in came with Lightroom. This was a new install of Lifgtroom after I updated my computer to Windows 10. I worked fine in Windows 7.

• 3. Re: Dropbox Plug-in Problem
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              This plug-in came with Lightroom. This was a new install of Lifgtroom after I updated my computer to Windows 10. I worked fine in Windows 7.

Adobe doesn't provide a Dropbox plugin with LR.

Most likely, you (or someone using your computer) had downloaded a third-party Dropbox plugin on Windows 7.  When you upgraded your computer, the folders containing LR's catalog and LR's preferences were retained or copied to Windows 10, and when you installed LR in Windows 10, it found the preexisting preferences.

The preferences contain the list of installed plugins and their folder locations.  Perhaps the folder containing the Dropbox plugin didn't make it to the Windows 10 upgrade, or perhaps it's in a different location than it was on Windows 7.    In this case, LR's preferences say that the plugin is installed, but it doesn't actually exist at the location where it was installed.

Do File > Plug-in Manager and scroll to find the Dropbox plugin.  Select it to see details about where LR expects to find it.  The screen should look similar to this:

Untitled.png

The Path under Status will tell you where LR expects to find the plugin's folder. If you know where that folder is currently located (somewhere else in the Windows 10 configuration), copy it to the location given in Path and restart LR.

If you can't find the original plugin folder, or copying it into place and restarting LR doesn't work, then in the Plug-in Manager, select the plugin and click Remove (at the bottom left).  Restart LR to make sure it worked.  Then re-download the plugin from wherever you obtained it and reinstall it according to the plugin author's instructions.

If none of this works, provide a full-resolution screenshot of the entire Plug-in Manager window with the Dropbox plugin selected.

• 4. Re: Dropbox Plug-in Problem
                BobHahnPhoto Level 1

Thanks for your help. That fixed the problem.

Bob