24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 4:06 PM by Brett N

Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets

Alp Er Tunga Level 1

All the presets for tools retain the last setting as far as I can see ... and the "restore default presets" has no effect on the presets settings.

So what is the function of "restore default presets" option on the effects menu?

It restores what?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Alper Tonga,

Greetings.

• Which version of LR are you using?
          • What is it that you want to achieve?
            • Could you also post a screen shot of what you are doing.
          • If you Restore default Presets Lightroom will reset to the factory presets, all other presets added later will be gone.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I see ... "restore default presets" restores last five presets there ... burn, dodge, iris enhance etc.

The presets like temp, tint, exposure etc. are working a little bit different.

Let me give an example ...

1. Adjustment brush tool ... without any pin placed on the image, I select "exposure" effect.

2. Then, I set it to +0,56.

3. I think that this value will be a new default for the exposure effect ... so there is no embedded default setting, but the last used setting will be the default value automatically.

4. As a result "restore default presets" has no effect on the default setting on the exposure effect.

There is an embedded default setting for burn for example ... and if you save a new setting to burn effect, "restore default presets" takes the burn effect to the factory setting. But ... it is not working so for the presets at the top of the panel.

I have the latest Lr CC and I want to understand how the "restore default presets" works.

And ... "restore default presets" is not deleting all the other presets added later.

Could you please try it yourself for seeing what I mention here ... and for seeing these different and not intuitive behaviors on the effects menu?

• 3. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets

Hi again,

What i understand from what you have explained is that you are using the rest option while working on Adjustment Brush, and by using that it will reset the pins not the effect that you have applied on that image.

If you want to reset the effects to default you need to use the Reset option at the bottom(see screen shot)

Please check this link - How to Restore Default Presets? - Lightroom Forums

reset LR.PNG

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Rohit thanks ... let me ask in a different way.

There is a factory setting for the "burn" preset ... and it is -0,30 exposure. If I change this default later and update the "burn" preset with my new value, I can set it again to the factory value by using the "restore default presets". This is ok and so intuitive.

Is there any such a factory value for the "exposure" preset?

If so ... what is it?

• 5. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets

Hi again,

If you are talking about the levels then by default it is 1.00

Please check this video http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/tag/the-adjustment-brush -

Regards

Rohit

• 6. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                    John.jcb Level 1

Try going to Preferences - Presets Tab

You can restore all or selective presets from here.

• 7. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                      Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Then ... why after clicking on the "restore default presets", I can not get the factory default +1 exposure value when I select "exposure" effect?

It always shows me the last selected setting as the default value.

I think that ... "restore default presets" is working only for the last five presets ... burn, dodge etc ... right?

• 8. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets

Hi again,

It will go to default of you reset it from reset button for the adjustment tool.

Capture.PNG

Regards

Rohit

• 9. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                          Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Are you sure?

Select "exposure" effect and then change the value to any value other than +1 ... then click the reset button at the bottom. Will the "exposure" effect reset to the +1 on your screen?

The "reset" button at the bottom is not related with the default settings of the presets. It just clears the placed pins on the image.

Anyway,

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets

Hi,

Yes, it clears the pins and resets the value to +1

Regards

Rohit

• 11. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                              Alp Er Tunga Level 1

If the value is +1 before placing any pin ... then yes you are right.

But, if you set any other value other than +1 before placing any pin ... it resets to the value you set previously.

Thus ... it does not reset to the factory default, it just resets to the value previously set before placing any pin.

• 12. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets

Yes and that is what is is supposed to do.

That is the expected behavior of Lightroom.

~Rohit

• 13. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                  Alp Er Tunga Level 1

So ... if I set any other value other than +1, for getting the default value of the "exposure" effect again ... should I enter it manually?

• 14. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                    Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Yes, you can either enter the exposure value manually or by moving the exposure slider if you want the exposure value to be other than the default one.

Restore Default Presets under the Presets tab is to reset the values of the inbuilt presets in Lightroom and not the individual sliders and due to that reason the value of slider does not get reset to factory default setting.

• 15. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                      Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Thanks ... "Restore default presets" is working for burn, dodge, iris enhance etc. as expected.

But not for the effects of the individual sliders.

Indeed ... I could not understand, why the individual sliders names are presented under the effects menu?

Their default values are set before placing any pin and after placing a pin you can select it for getting the previously set custom value.

Under the effects menu, they look like presets but their default values can not be seen anymore, if you change them manually ... without saving.

Anyway ... maybe there is a useful functionality related with them which I can not see.

• 16. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                        Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

I cannot quite understand when you say "it is working for burn, dodge, iris enhance"

As far as I know, burn, dodge are Photoshop tools and not Lightroom

Do you have them added as external presets in Lightroom?

Iris enhance is one of the adjustment brush effect listed in Lightroom but not burn, dodge.

If you have them as presets, then yes it is supposed to work for the presets but not the individual sliders.

The individual sliders are presented under the effects menu so that the values of those sliders can be customized according to one's need and requirement and to create custom presets.

They have been designed to work in the manner as you explained and the general use is to create custom presets.

• 17. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                          Brett N Adobe Employee

When you look at the Effects drop-down list for the Adjustment Brush, you'll notice that there is a top section and a lower section to this list, separated by a dividing line. You'll notice that if you have one of these lower items selected, two new commands appear at the very bottom of the list along with "Save Current Settings as a New Preset" and "Restore Default Presets". That's because the lower section is the actual presets. Presets can be deleted and renamed. These options are not available for the upper part of the list.

The upper section is not presets, which is why they retain the last settings use. So, what is this upper section? Well, they solo the sliders. This means that the slider for only the selected Effect can be changed. Note that this upper list is an exact one-to-one match for each of the sliders in the Adjustment Brush (aside from those sliders that control the brush itself). Let's take a look at one of these sliders for an example: Exposure. It's starts with the default value of +1.0, but if you change it while this effect is selected, it will remember that value and the "Restore Default Presets" option will have no effect. So, you change Exposure to +.5 and if you leave and return to this Effect, the value is retained. But if you have Exposure selected as an effect and change the Contrast slider, the Effect drop-down selection will immediately change to Custom. If you change back to Exposure, the Contrast slider will be zeroed out. So that is the real use of the upper part of the list of the Effects drop-down, it is to zero out all other sliders aside from the one selected (solo's the effect).

• 18. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                            Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Thanks a lot Brett ... clear now.

• 19. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                              Alp Er Tunga Level 1

Brett ... pen pressure sensitivity is not working anymore with the adjustment brush tool.

Maybe, it is not so important feature for most of the customers ... but I were using it.

Will there be any fix for this feature?

• 20. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                                Brett N Adobe Employee

Pressure sensitivity is working on my end. I'll admit, it's not something I use a lot and I'm not sure whether it controls Flow or Density. In Photoshop you can change what pressure controls, and it defaults to Size, but this is not the case in Lightroom. The effect of the tool is easier to see if you drop Density to about 50. Dropping flow is a bit more difficult to tell its effects as the more you drop it the more you have to stack strokes. Also, turning on "Show Selected Mask Overlay" may have diagnose behavior as well.

• 21. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                                  Alp Er Tunga Level 1

It is not working for me ... Lr CC 2015.3, Windows 10.

It is supposed to control flow in Lr.

Unfortunately ... there is still no fix in the 2015.3 update.

• 22. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                                    Brett N Adobe Employee

When I make comparisons between how things behave between LR5.x and LR2015.x, I don't see a difference

• 23. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                                      Alp Er Tunga Level 1

I don't remember ... with which version of LR I could use it as expected.

Please look at the following video for the expected behavior, you can also see the settings there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFkN4U4eht8

• 24. Re: Tools Effects: Restore Default Presets
                                                        Brett N Adobe Employee

Yep, works the same way for me as in the video, regardless of which version I try it in. That was my point previously.

Although, I'm not working on Windows 10, so it is possible that Microsoft changed something about how Wacom pressure information is sent to applications. But I would recommend creating a new forum post to see if others using Windows 10 are seeing the same. Or better, see if someone else has already posted and has had the issue resolved.