13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 8:38 PM by alpshiker

How to reinstall LR correctly?

alpshiker Level 1

I installed last spring a licensed LR6 copy from a web purchase at Adobe.com, to upgrade from the previous version and complement CS6.

The installation went with a trial version of Adobe CC. The CC evaluation is now long over, and the LR copy still works with its serial number.

But I cant get any upgrades for it. It is still stuck on version 6.0.1.

Checking for updates opens the CC window, where all my fix CS6 are listed. But LR only appears as the CC version, which is said to be up to date. Evidently, my fix version is not listed and I am not able to update it. I contacted Adobe but they said that there is no support available for my serial number…

Could you please suggest a path to put that installation straight?

Thanks! Paul

• 1. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Paul.

Greetings.

• Try this link to update your Lightroom.
          • If this does not work then uninstall LR and then reinstall it using the above link.

NOTE - Your serial number should be legit and you can find your serial number here - Find your Adobe product serial number quickly

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
            alpshiker Level 1

Hi Rohit

Many thanks for your swift reply and for your help!

I could not use the links you provided, because I have a localized version.

But what I just did was:

1) uninstall LightRoom CC with “trashing prefs“ checked.

2) downloaded again the install file from my account.

3) installed it. It asked for the registration number to install. It is version 6.0 for Mac.

4) launched the app and checked for updates. The Creative Cloud window opened, and first place on top stands again LightRoom CC 30 days evaluation. There is no trace of a standalone version in the list…

Unless someone would see something else I did wrong, I think I'm stuck…

A question that comes to mind is: is the creative cloud update manager the new way Adobe manages updates? Or can I get rid of that app and do the check for updates the old way?

Thanks

Cheers, Paul

• 3. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?

Hi Paul,

Get rid of Creative cloud application if you do not use it.

Direct link to update LR - http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/mac/AdobeLightroom-6.0/6.2/setup.dmg

Regards

Rohit

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                alpshiker Level 1

Hi Rohit,

I'm glad if I can revert to the old ways, but the CC uninstaller says CC cannot be uninstalled because some  CC apps are installed and require it.

I have uninstalled LR and restarted the computer, but same message occurs. Do you know what could be those programs installed along with CC? I have not willingly installed any other app than LR.

Thanks again

Paul

• 5. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?

Hi again,

Regards

Rohit

• 6. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                    alpshiker Level 1

So I first uninstalled Adobe Air,

then trashed the whole CC folder from Utilities and and the alias from Apps.

Then I stopped all processes mentioning Adobe. One however did not want to stop.

But now, when I want to check Photoshop CS6 for updates, it says that Adobe CC is needed to resolve this problem. However it is missing. This is sticky!

Cheers!

Paul

• 7. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                      alpshiker Level 1

Hi Rohit,

I put the folders back in place.

I also see that CC 2014 Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are listed as if they were installed (they are not). Maybe it's them that block the uninstall command? There is no option to uninstall them.

And I fear to damage the CS6 Design programs installed should I force things out…

Giving you a hard time, I'm afraid!

Kind regards

Paul

• 8. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?

Hi Paul,

Regards

Rohit

• 9. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                          alpshiker Level 1

Hi Rohit

I have installed App Manager, but it seems to have been there already. When I launch it, it opens the CC window.

No, I'm not in CC and I wish I had never installed the free version which was suggested to me during the LightRoom 6 purchase. It looks as though the process is not reversible.

I would not mind to have it as an update checker, for it seems to work flawlessly with most of my older programs.

The only fault is that I cannot upgrade the localized language version of LR6! … Upgrades which are not available with direct links, like the English versions that you pointed to me.

Maybe someone will come with a fix hopefully.

Thank you again for your time and patience!

Regards

Paul

• 10. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                            alpshiker Level 1

Hi Rohit,

I have just have been told that the install file in English that you pointed is now MULTILINGUAL. I could have used to reinstall and update LR, which would have given me the choice with the version I wanted. Maybe I'll do it at a later date if I am not happy with the latest version.

But what I did was: I installed the latest version of LRCC after uninstalling the early one. Now I have the choice of testing a fully featured LR CC for 30 days, or enter my serial number and have version 2.1 (the same installation offers the two possibilities). I think that there was a bug in the early LR CC, which prevented it from updating once registered. I will keep it in trial mode for a little while to see how useful the fog slider is, then activate the copy to make sure that not too much of my work will be lost once the feature is gone. The downside of having CC is in the gigabytes of unnecessary files now on my SSD.

Still, if a knew a safe way to uninstall CC without risking jeopardizing the whole CS installation and activation, I would do it.

Thanks again!

Regards

Paul

• 11. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                              alpshiker Level 1

Hi,

I found an app called Adobe CC cleaner that solved the problem. It deleted the CC Desktop app without affecting Adobe CS6.

The LightRoom 6.3 copy is registered, with Camera Raw 9.3.

The caveat is now that when I send a RAW image to PS CS6, it says that CS6 is not equipped with the latest Camera Raw 9.3 software and I have to select LightRoom to do the processing, otherwise some edits made in LR are dropped. To my surprise, PS CS6 is not asking for that update, and I have read somewhere that Camera Raw 9.3 is only available from LightRoom CC. Has Adobe really dropped CR update support for PS CS6 ? I don't think CR can be downloaded as a single install file, or can it?

Regards

Paul

• 12. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?

Hi Paul.

CS 6 does not have camera raw 9.3 but 9.1, however LR 6 has camera raw 9.3

To use camera raw 9.3 you need to switch to PS CC.

You can download Camera raw, but it will not work with PS CS 6 - Camera Raw plug-in installer

Regards

Rohit

• 13. Re: How to reinstall LR correctly?
                                  alpshiker Level 1

Hi Rohit,

Thanks, yes this is what I found. There is another page that explains the shift, with users comments.

CR 9.1 seems to support some late models like A7R2 and 5DS-R, so I'm hopefully safe for a little while.

As for CC, anecdotally, I am not in the wagon. It would perhaps have made me happy when I had to purchase initially PS4,  Illustrator and Page Maker. I purchased most upgrades to the CS6 Design Suite, which were expensive but the investment could be spread over 3-4 years. The CC leasing solution, although probably useful for some, more than doubles the long term cost for users like me.

Thanks again!

Regards

Paul