5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 4:00 AM by dj_paige

Can't launch a catalog from a backup file

chuen manc66400240 Level 1

Hi there,

I backup all my iMac's files to an external hard drive including all the photos and the Lightroom Catalog  by using time machine.

And now I'm on my way with my Macbook Air, it seems that I can't launch the catalog (Lightroom Catalog.Ircat) from the backup file in the ext hard drive, it said that 'the catalog cannot be used because the parent folder " xxx " does not allow files to be created within it'.

Would it be because the original catalog was located in my iMac's hard drive not in this backup ext hard drive? Does it really matter ?

Nevertheless, I can open the Lightroom Catalog Preview.Irdata file in Lightroom and import them into the current Lightroom catalog I created in my Macbook Air. When I export the file, the file size seems smaller than usual.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any way I can launch the Lightroom Catalog.Ircat file from the backup ext hard drive?

2. If the answer is 'no' for the above question, shall I create a new lightroom catalog in this backup ext hard drive (for my iMac), then import all the photos once again?

3. I found that there is an option of  'Import from Another Catalog' in Lightroom, will this work for my situation? Didn't try it as I worry I will make a mess, and I assume if I can't launch that catalog in the ext hard drive, I may not be able to import it as well.

3. The Preivew.Irdata file will not allow me to have the largest file size to be exported is that right?

4. Finally, what's the suggestion for fixing all these problem in the long run ? Shall I move all photos (both originally from my iMac and Macbook Air) to an ext hard drive, then export the current catalogue in my Macbook Air to the same ext hard drive, and import the photos originated from my iMac into this catalog (i.e. only one LR catalog)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and suggestion so that I can manage LR catalog more efficiently and smoothly in the future.

Cheers,

Chuen

• 1. Re: Can't launch a catalog from a backup file
          dj_paige Level 9

Whatever folder the backup catalog file is in does not have WRITE permission. You need to change the folder to have WRITE permission.

• 2. Re: Can't launch a catalog from a backup file
            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Chuen,

It seems that the external hard drive is not allowing you to write changes on it and that is why the error says "the catalog cannot be used because the parent folder " xxx " does not allow files to be created within it"

The error is not related to your original catalog being located on Imac's hard drive.

I would suggest you to copy that .lrcat and .lrdata file from your external hard drive to some location on your local hard drive and try to launch it from there.

If this does not work, then you can go for the option of creating a new catalog and "Import from Another Catalog"

Let us know if that helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Chetna

• 3. Re: Can't launch a catalog from a backup file

Thanks for your help Chetna,

I copy the catalog to the hard drive of my Macbook Air, then I can launch the catalog again, of course I need to find the missing folder, that is ok.

I have read some people suggest to create the LR catalog together with the original photos in an ext hard drive, in this way, I can carry it and plug in any computer to access to the catalog.

So if I copy the catalog in concern to another ext hard drive, it will work the same as I copied it to the hard drive of my Macbook Air, is that right? If it is correct, then the reason I can't open the catalog in the backup file is because it's a backup file and somehow it is set as no WRITE permission?

Any suggestion for a better management of LR catalog in the long term?

Cheers,

CM

• 4. Re: Can't launch a catalog from a backup file

Thanks dj,

Any suggestion for a better management of catalog in the long term ? Shall I move LR catalog to an ext hard drive together with all the photos?

Cheers,

CM

• 5. Re: Can't launch a catalog from a backup file
                  dj_paige Level 9

Any suggestion for a better management of catalog in the long term ? Shall I move LR catalog to an ext hard drive together with all the photos?

There is no requirement to put the catalog on an external HD. In fact, it should operate more quickly on your fastest hard disk, which is usually your internal drive. The only reason I know of to put the catalog on an external drive is if you need the portability of the external drive so you can move the catalog from one computer to another.

If it is correct, then the reason I can't open the catalog in the backup file is because it's a backup file and somehow it is set as no WRITE permission?

The catalog permission is NOT the problem. The problem is that the FOLDER that the catalog is in does not have WRITE permission.