9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 2:07 AM by nicholasm85073343

Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)

ramona987654321

Please help!  I have been trying to resolve the dreaded JVC .mod video file input problem for a long time now, and have not found the solution. I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 14 because I saw what I attached below.  It says that .mod files are supported.  But, I just tried uploading, and still get an error message.  I do not want to use converters that reduce quality.  Changing the file extension has not worked.  Has anyone figured this out?  Thanks, in advance!

Supported file formats

* Windows only formats

Video file formats - import

Format and filename extension
      3GPP (.3gp, .3g2)
      Adobe Shockwave Flash (.swf)
      Audio Video Interleave (.avi)
      AVCHD (.m2ts, .mts)
      DV stream (.dv)
      H.264 (.mp4, .m4v)
      H.264-encoded QuickTime (.mov, .mp4, .m4v)
      MOD (.mod)
      MPEG-1 (.m1v, .mpeg, .mpe)
      MPEG-2 (.m2v, .mp2, .mpg)
      MPEG-2 Transport Stream (.m2t)
      QuickTime (.mov)
      TOD (.tod)
      Video Object (DVD video) (.vob)
      Windows Media (.wmv) *

• 1. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ramona

The situation involving .mod widescreen files in Premiere Elements has gotten more complicated going from 10 to 14. And, in 13/13.1 and 14, the workarounds for the situation that worked for versions earlier than 13/13.1 no longer worked.

The 13/13.1 and 14 situation

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: Serious Problem With .MOD Widescreen Files

Please see the Update at the bottom of that blog post for my latest suggested workaround for .mod widescreen in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14.

For Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1 situation, please read the Introduction in the above link for the different workaround for 13/13.1 and earlier.

As for Windows 10 64 bit and Premiere Elements, I have observed that Premiere Elements problems are the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit from Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit. This has proven true for Premiere Elements in general and for .mod widescreen and other  matters.

Please consider and then let us know the outcome as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
            ramona987654321 Level 1

ATR,

Thanks so much for responding.  I actually had read your blog and found it to be informative.  But, is the .mod problem only a widescreen problem?  Because when I input my .mod video files (from an sd card into premiere elements / windows 10, I get the following error from the adobe organizer simply trying to open the video (not even at edit point).

"Unable to load movie.  The selected file cannot be played because your system does not have the required compresser/decompresser (codec) installed."

.MOD worked in windows 7.  The problem started in windows 8.  So when going to windows 10, I researched and found my previously quoted info about adobe premiere, which states that .mod is a supported format, and I purchased it thinking I finally had the solution.

If it is a widescreen problem only, then I will have to work with the editor and will try your workaround.  (I am too new to adobe to understand it without working with it more.)

Again, thanks!

• 3. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
              ramona987654321 Level 1

If this helps explain my situation at all, I just managed to at least open one of my .mod files with the VLC media player that came with Windows 10.  (big progress to at least be able to view them)  It says the aspect ratio on my video is 4:3.

Now I just need to figure out how to open and edit them in Adobe. 

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ramona

Thank you the replies.

Video compatibility (.mod files and others) with different versions of Elements Organizer continue to be a concern. And, the mod file is only one from many with problems when it comes to import into Elements Organizer and mostly playback from the Elements Organizer player.

And, if you have several versions of the program on the same computer and one has the problem and another does not, it make it hard to invoke a missing codec explanation no matter what a pop up message might say.

The most noted problem with .mod is for the .mod widescreen and the associated aspect ratio (16:9 vs 4:3) encountered in Premiere Elements and other applications. But, there can be two major issues with the .mod file in the video editors - not just in Premiere Elements

a. the loss or none recognition of the 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after encoding

and

b. the .mod standard or widescreen file extension itself (wrapper format for the MPEG2 video compression and whatever the audio compression is). In those instances, an easy fix for that part of the .mod syndrome is to rename the file extension from .mod to .mpeg.....there used to be a utility that some one contributed online which would do both for the user...add the 16:9 flag and change the file extension from .mod to .mpeg in one operation. That utility was called SDCopy. It seems to have gotten lost with time. I cannot find it or a usable counterpart online.

Please try the workarounds for Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14 or the workaround for versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13/13.1

For the Elements Organizer, try renaming the file extension from .mod to .mpg.

When you import a file into Premiere Elements, a copy of that file is automatically placed in the Elements Organizer. You should determine if less problems getting the file into the Elements Organizer that way.

Please consider, explore and experiment, and then let us know of your progress as your time permits.

If any questions or need clarification along the way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
                  5iveMEDIA Level 1

Rename .mod to .mpg manually. Meaning:

1. Find the original file on your hard drive. (Don't view it through any app.)

2. Select, but don't double click on the title. (Mac, wait for min. it's weird / PC, go file rename with a right click)

3. Keep the unique title, change the .mod to .mpg.

Cross fingers.

Then import.

• 6. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
                    ramona987654321 Level 1

Thanks, ATR.  I will re-read and absorb more of your response.  But, to clarify, I do not have multiple versions of the same thing on one computer.  I switched computers with upgrades.  Sorry to not be clear on that. 

I have Windows 10, Adobe premiere elements 14, VLC Media Player came with windows 10, JVC camcorder with .mod files

I also uploaded directly into Adobe.

Thanks!

Thanks also 5iveMEDIA.  I am going to delete a file and upload into my videos file, then re-try the re-naming thing.  Then cross fingers and import into Adobe.  Let's hope!

I sincerely appreciate efforts to help!!

• 7. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SiveMEDIA

Already mentioned. See post 4.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ramona

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be watching for your results as your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Problems with .mod files input into premiere elements (windows 10)
                          nicholasm85073343

Thanks for information share with us regarding "filename too long windows 10"