4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 8:36 AM by Derek Cross

page numbering: a mess when exporting Indesign Epub to Kindle .mobi (I'm new to Indesign)

7guavas Level 1

Hey all,

First, sorry if I'm being annoying with this subject. I'm totally new to Indesign and I might be missing various steps regarding page numbering.

I am exporting an ebook (you're usual reflowable read) to Epub in Indesign (a book I've created, from a word document). The process carries out perfectly, I then use the Kindle Previewer to convert to Kindle's native .mobi format. things still process perfectly, but for 1 thing:

I have an 81 "spread" document in Indesign, which results in a 135 "page" reflowable Epub document (when opened in Adobe Digital Editions), which I think is as expected as I've configured the Epub's chapter to start on a new page each.

The problem rises when I convert that document to .mobi in Kindle's previewer app. I end up with a 1992 "locations" e-book!!

There's apparently no "logic" in the increments that are assigned when converting (you cannot determine if it just converts increments by 10, example: page 1 is 1, then page 2 is numbered 10...) it just seems a chaotic, random "page" / "location" number generation.

As I've said I'm totally new to all of this (Indesing, E-publishing, etc...) I've surfed courses, tutorials and anything related on the net, but of course I'm in a rusha and cannot pretend to learn and assimilate everything Indesign and E-publishing in such short times, so any help would be hugely appreciated!

Have a great day and thank you all in advance!

• 1. Re: page numbering: a mess when exporting Indesign Epub to Kindle .mobi (I'm new to Indesign)
          7guavas Level 1

I am now thinking "out of the box" (my very newbie limited box) and checking rather in Amazon's Publishing help, guides and documentation, and found this:

"3.1.8 Text Guideline #8:

Page Numbers Kindle books do not always map directly to page numbers in physical editions of the book. For this reason, there should not be any reference to page numbers in the book. Page numbers should not be included in cross-references or the index. Amazon may make page numbers available for books as additional book metadata. Amazon generates these page numbers based on its own internal technology."

If I understand well, is it really beyond the Producer / Layout Artist to have control over page numbering? So it's up to Amazon whether to incorporate page numbering?

• 2. Re: page numbering: a mess when exporting Indesign Epub to Kindle .mobi (I'm new to Indesign)
            Derek Cross Level 6

There are no page numbers in reflowable text ePub or Mobi books.

Are you using Paragraph and Character Styles in your InDesign document?

Which version of InDesign do you have?

Have you tested your ePub with the IDPF validator : http://validator.idpf.org

• 3. Re: page numbering: a mess when exporting Indesign Epub to Kindle .mobi (I'm new to Indesign)
              7guavas Level 1

Hello Derek, Thanks for your P.O.V. ...

Nevertheless, I got to disagree (as far as my feeble understanding on this subject reaches). I have a Kindle Fire device in my hands, and have an amazon ebook on it, a novel. It does display both Locations (which I understand is the logical result of adapting a "fluid" page layout, as pages display differently depending on screen / devices sizes), and a page numbering.

So how come? Could it be that you're specifically stating this in regards of Reflowable works only?

Could it be then, that the novel in question (non illustrated, standard fiction novel) may have been created on a Fixed Layout project?

Anyway, thing is that novel does display page numbering on bottom page, under the form of some "pop-up" container that you can switch for a location numbering / navigator "pop-up" container at the tap of your finger.

Cheers!

• 4. Re: page numbering: a mess when exporting Indesign Epub to Kindle .mobi (I'm new to Indesign)
                Derek Cross Level 6

Yes, they aren't page numbers in the conventional sense as the number of pages in a document vary depending on the size of typeface selected for the text. Also note, page numbers are not indicated in items like a ToC. What does appear on reflowable text pages are page location numbers. Folios, don't carry over from InDesign Master pages, in fact nothing carries over from Master pages!

You can use ecancrusher to crack open an ePub and see the contents: http://www.docdataflow.com/ecancrusher/

and you can see the difference in the HTML between reflowable text and fixed layout ePubs.