7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 3:57 AM by tpk1982

Need to select ALL tables

piab59734901 Level 1

Hi,

I import Word documents in InDesign CC, wich contains several tables.

I need to select ALL tables and then change the size of the text inside the cells and I need to change the table strokes inside and the table-border.

I know how to install a script in InDesign – though I have not yet tried to work with a script ...

... hope my first time will be succesfull :-))))

Hope that somebody can help me.

Regards,

Pia (graphic designer)

• 1. Re: Need to select ALL tables
          tpk1982 Level 4

hi..

try this

change the values as your requirement:

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().paragraphs.everyItem().pointSize = "3pt";

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().topInset = "3pt";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().bottomInset = "3pt";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().leftInset = "3pt";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().rightInset = "3pt";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = "0.5";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().topEdgeStrokeWeight = "0.5";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().leftEdgeStrokeWeight = "0.5";
          app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().rightEdgeStrokeWeight = "0.5";

• 2. Re: Need to select ALL tables
            piab59734901 Level 1

It works :-)))))) thanks to you I just run my first script ever :-)))))

Looking forward to changing the sizes.

You are awesome – thanks a million :-))))) and have a great day.

Regards,

Pia

• 3. Re: Need to select ALL tables
              tpk1982 Level 4

Hey Pia,

Which size need to change?

Also please give correct answer if it works fine.

Have a nice day

karthi

• 4. Re: Need to select ALL tables
                piab59734901 Level 1

Hi Karthi

By sizes I mean the text-pt-sizes and the stroke-sizes (the blue text) :-))

I have one problem though – the table bottomEdgeStroke is different from table to table. Ex. in a 4 row table I may only need a stroke on the bottomEdgeRIGHT row. Other times 3 rows or 2 rows.

Think that the solution may bee a script that SELECTS ALL TABLES and then I can apply an InDesign TableStyle?

Is that possible?

--

Sorry – I thought I gave a correct answer above :-))) your script still works fine :-))))

You solved the problem I had :-)))

Regards,

Pia

• 5. Re: Need to select ALL tables
                  tpk1982 Level 4

Hi Pia,

Try this below script. It will ask you the values (take as points) to change. I don't think table style give solution.

//changing measurement as points
                  app.activeDocument.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.POINTS;
                  app.activeDocument.viewPreferences.verticalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.POINTS;
                  var myText=prompt("PLEASE ENTER YOUR TEXT POINT SIZE","")
                  var myStroke=prompt("PLEASE ENTER YOUR TABLE STROKE VALUE","")
                  var myBottomStroke=prompt("PLEASE ENTER YOUR TABLE BOTTOM STROKE VALUE","")
                  //changing text point size
                  app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().paragraphs.everyItem().pointSize = myText;
                  //changing text stroke size
                  app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().bottomEdgeStrokeWeight = myBottomStroke;
                  app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().topEdgeStrokeWeight = myStroke;
                  app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().leftEdgeStrokeWeight = myStroke;
                  app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().cells.everyItem().rightEdgeStrokeWeight = myStroke;

Please let me know if this is fine.

Note: i removed the inset value coding, hope you don't require that.

Regards,

Karthi

• 6. Re: Need to select ALL tables
                    vidhyar34646163

Hi,

I have same issue to select all the tables. I don't need to change table styles ,But need to select all the tables simultaneously. How to do tat? I need like,

app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().tables.everyItem().getElements()[i].select();

• 7. Re: Need to select ALL tables
                      tpk1982 Level 4

see this thread..hope this is useful

Select table using script